Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

finding cash in the street.. what woud you do?

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
A pal once emptied a Halifax cashpoint, one of those old ones where you had to lift a door to get your money.
He only wanted £20 but it just kept on filling the draw, ended up with nearly £2.5k. When we got back in my car and the four of us discussed what to do with it and if the Halifax could trace him.
Like the good boys we are we went straight to police station.

He got a small reward, interviewed for local newspaper and there was a 1/2 page cartoon in The Sun.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
If it was a small amount such as £5-£20, just a single note, then I would probably keep it.

Anymore then I would hand it in to the police station I think.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
If it was just a single note, say £5 or £10 then I would probably keep it and put it in a charity box, anything over that amount then I would hand it in to the Police.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
As a student I found a roll of tenners on the pavement, about £70 I seem to recall. Decided to give it to the police as I worried that it may have been some old ladies pension. Got it back three months later when it went unclaimed. Think I would do the same again though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As a student I found a roll of tenners on the pavement, about £70 I seem to recall. Decided to give it to the police as I worried that it may have been some old ladies pension. Got it back three months later when it went unclaimed. Think I would do the same again though.

I might pop into my local plod station tonight and claim to have lost some money. See if any has been handed in. I could also go to BR lost property and get myself an umbrella.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I might pop into my local plod station tonight and claim to have lost some money. See if any has been handed in. I could also go to BR lost property and get myself an umbrella.

You may have to have some idea where you lost it though! :)

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
depends on the way you have been brought up,me i would hand it in,last year lost my mobile and wallet on train,one hour later had a phone call from a very honest person,one day it might be you

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You may have to have some idea where you lost it though! :)

If I knew where I had lost it..it wouldnt be lost. Somewhere in Brighton.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I found a £20 note at Victoria on the pavement and kept it - shame on me

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I know someone who found 10,000 in 1950 somthing. They handed it in and got a good roasting from their dad for doing so... i'd keep it. If it was a wallet i'd hand it in

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
*In theory*, you could be prosecuted for the offence of theft by finding if you kept it.

The law requires you to take reasonable steps to trace the owner of property, for example handing it in to the police if it was a wallet, or knocking on doors, if it was a dog.

In the case of £2000, or even £200, it's highly probable that the owner would miss it, and that by giving the exact location and denomination of the cash, they could reasonably prove it was theirs. So "reasonable steps" would include handing it in to see if anyone claims it, for example.

In the case of £20, on the other hand, the loser is unlikely to be able to prove ownership, and even less likely to report it, there the reasonable steps might be- for example- simply ascertaining if anybody around you had dropped it.

All this is purely speculation, of course, as to be pursued for such a matter requires someone to actually SEE you do it...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here