Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Financial restrictions at the Albion hampering the playing budget?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
No-one is arguing that point, Ernest. The real point is that "unforeseen" transport costs that Perry talked about are still MUCH higher than the £30 travel voucher (applied to everyone next season) will cover.

Agreed, piss poor negotiating on behalf of the poodle if the cost was £1.5million and he settled for less than half of that. Maybe this new MD will start to sort things out ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No-one is arguing that point, Ernest. The real point is that "unforeseen" transport costs that Perry talked about are still MUCH higher than the £30 travel voucher (applied to everyone next season) will cover.

How much higher though? 660,000 from season tickets next year, 165,000 from the uni car park assuming just a 50% uptake. There will be further ticket sales as well. I'm not overly convinced it will fall short.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ooh, temper, temper.

When you miss the target, you really miss it by a long way, don't you?
Too late. Temper temper my arse. You attempted to patronise me by putting "unforeseen" in quotes and using [sic] - and you were f***ing wrong.

The point being missed is the point I am trying to make, and you are missing. It is quite simple: there should be nothing unforeseen about transport costs. Perry said well into 7 figures didn't he? Why is this a surprise? I am aware that people cheated the (frankly, shite) system last time round. Moving forward, there has been a f*** up if the club is having to fork out at least half of these "unforeseen" transport costs because it can't expect the fans to pay more than the £30 a season it is charging.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
You could save thousands in stewarding alone. The biggest thing that struck me last season was the vast quantity of stewards outside the stadium doing absolutely nothing. A large majority of them are a total waste of space.

By the way though I don't think we are in any way screwed on the finances although I do think Ken Brown was crap and could quite easily have lost an element of control.

There is no way it is catostrophic though and it certainly won't have an impact on the playing budget. TB is not stupid.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agreed, piss poor negotiating on behalf of the poodle if the cost was £1.5million and he settled for less than half of that. Maybe this new MD will start to sort things out ?
I'm afraid this is probably the truth of the matter.

How much higher though? 660,000 from season tickets next year, 165,000 from the uni car park assuming just a 50% uptake. There will be further ticket sales as well. I'm not overly convinced it will fall short.
That still sounds like a shortfall of over £500k, every single year. And that assumes our season tickets continue to sell after the novelty wears off.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Too late, dickhead. Temper temper my arse. You attempted to patronise me by putting "unforeseen" in quotes and using [sic] - and you were f***ing wrong.

The point being missed is the point I am trying to make, and you are missing. It is quite simple: there should be nothing unforeseen about transport costs. Perry said well into 7 figures didn't he? Why is this a surprise? I am aware that people cheated the (frankly, shite) system last time round. Moving forward, there has been a f*** up if the club is having to fork out at least half of these "unforeseen" transport costs because it can't expect the fans to pay more than the £30 a season it is charging.

There must be a lot of unforeseen costs that crop up from a feasibility, although on saying that you'd generally add a contingency percentage to that feasibility. What I would suggest is unforeseen is all the hassle of the parking in Coldean/Moulscomb, which has led to an increase in stewards and game by game monitoring and traffic surveys which don't come cheap. The reality of peoples transport choice can only ever be a prediction at feasibility stage, and so once the system is operational, there can of course be a big variation in how the various options are affected. Not to mention the transport companies ability to renegotiate terms or applying add-ons etc.

Whenever you move from a feasibility/viability model to the actual reality, there is always going to be unforeseen occurrences, that is an unavoidable fact. Much of the transport costs could be identified, but I think there is a lot that had to be adjusted as the stadium became operational and the various pressure points identified.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
This is why threads go to 60 pages... I heard from a source close to the club that they were astounded by how much revenue they had generated and that the money-making potential at the new stadium far exceeded their original forecasts. The club undoubtedly haemorrhaged cash at Withdean but banking 18,000 season ticket sales and all the ancillary revenue at The Amex (including two decent cup runs and a few televised appearances) had put the club in rude health despite start up costs.

This sounds much more probable, i cant see how all the extra revenue cant easily cover a relatively small wage bill, hardly got a team of over payed superstars yet, a lot of league 1 players, not on fortunes are they?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
......because it can't expect the fans to pay more than the £30 a season it is charging.

Why not ??.... assuming attendance at 25 games, @ £5 a game approx for a return from Shoreham, its a bargain.... even £50 is still good value......

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That still sounds like a shortfall of over £500k, every single year

Does it? Based on a guess at 1.5 million and back of the fag packet sums? The club has data from last season to base the transport budget on...I'd be very surprised if it the club screw up this year.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
What is "VERY generous" about charging people to travel or park?

Er.. £1 return per game from Southwick to Falmer.. do you not think that is an extremely good deal? This is down to the club subsidising the travel, so yes, it is VERY generous.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

I think that the biggest 'unforeseen transport cost' was all of the so-called Albion fans avoiding paying for their travel vouchers, depriving the club of a huge amount of money. And some were on here bragging about not paying. That money would have significantly reduced the transport bills.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It was clear before last season started travel was going to be a right pigs ear. But there were so many other things going on - that was the ball that was dropped.

Out of interest I do not remember any clamour for the travel vouchers to be charged separately. At least that has been rectified for the coming season. If the fee needs to be increased - the club should increase it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Er.. £1 return per game from Southwick to Falmer.. do you not think that is an extremely good deal? This is down to the club subsidising the travel, so yes, it is VERY generous.

A good deal without doubt. VERY generous? I do not know how much the club are paying, but I doubt it.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I think that the biggest 'unforeseen transport cost' was all of the so-called Albion fans avoiding paying for their travel vouchers, depriving the club of a huge amount of money. And some were on here bragging about not paying. That money would have significantly reduced the transport bills.

There was that - and there was the fact that the whole process was a nonsense. You could buy tickets on-line - but no option to also purchase the voucher at the same time - so you had to sort that out separately. No checks on the buses or the trains. It was a cock-up from the beginning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here