Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Final capacity

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I saw a disagreement on an Albion facebook page over what final capacity is going to be. One guy said is was 30,750 which is the figure I always assumed it was. However another chap claimed Barber had announced it would be 32,500 when all is said and done.

Perhaps they found ways of upping capacity beyond the initial plan of 30,750 and have utilised space they didn't know they had? For example, I know an additional row has gone in along the back of the east stand lower.

But that is conjecture. Does anyone here actually KNOW?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Don't know but they could definitely fit in a couple of thousand extra by pushing the seats together on the metal tracks rather than leaving the current couple of inches gap...

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
30,750 was the figure announced at the time. In reality though slightly less due to some seats being covered up in the away end. Not heard this figure changing

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If they want it to change, they have to put in another planning application, which costs tens of thousands in time, research, salaries and assorted administrative fees.

For the sake of an extra 1,750, it would hardly seem worth it.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
If they want it to change, they have to put in another planning application, which costs tens of thousands in time, research, salaries and assorted administrative fees.

For the sake of an extra 1,750, it would hardly seem worth it.

If they fill them, it is worth a minimum of £1.2m in ticket sales alone.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Don't know but they could definitely fit in a couple of thousand extra by pushing the seats together on the metal tracks rather than leaving the current couple of inches gap...

But could they? I thought there was rules about the maximum number of seats that any given seat could be away from an aisle / exit.

Also issues with the maximum number of fans in each concourse with regard to emergency exits etc. At least thats what they stated as a reason against safe standing in the North stand.

Having said that, if offices were moved to the training complex, then a small North Upper was rumoured, or though that might just have come from a NSC poster's overactive imagination.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thanks chaps. It does sound as if 30,750 is the proposed capacity. I guess increasing that would be possible but why do it now in the middle of a recession?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
If...

I didn't include construction costs - that would be going north of seven figures too.

The next challenge is filling 30,750, before we get onto a supposed 32,500.

If indeed. But it could be worth doing in the event of sufficient demand, obviously depending on what 'it' is, what it costs to implement, and what impact it has on the 'customer' experience for everyone else.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The option of raising the roof and going to 40,000+ is a longer term option and would need a reasonable period in the premier before its deemed worthwhile.

Have you just made that up or have you actually heard it from anyone who would know?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The option of raising the roof and going to 40,000+ is a longer term option and would need a reasonable period in the premier before its deemed worthwhile.

I was told, by somebody who I would think would know, that the foundations when put in place are sufficient for another tier all around the ground if required and obviously subject to needs planning etc but lets walk before we try to run..

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So we're all going with 31k for ease of use yeh?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I was told, by somebody who I would think would know, that the foundations when put in place are sufficient for another tier all around the ground if required and obviously subject to needs planning etc but lets walk before we try to run..

Wow a four tier west stand! The mind boggles!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Is this a quarterly auto-reoccurring thread? Get's put to bed for a while, and then a 'source' reveals that they're actually going to build another tier on top of the roof or some other nonsense!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here