Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film As Good As The Book

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest . The film comes at it from a different angle but the story is pretty much the same.

Both great.

Indeed. My favourite ever film. the only film I have been to (1976) where, at the end, everybody in the Cinema sttod up and clapped.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest . The film comes at it from a different angle but the story is pretty much the same.

Both great.

The film was based on the play and you can appreciate that with the set scenes.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Goodbye Mr Chips (original 1939 version) Robert Donat and Greer Garson

A small novella, a great, great film.

On a similar note, Death in Venice. A short Novella by Thomas Mann made in to a stunning film which was about three days long.

Going the other way, I remember seeing the Godfather when it first came out and thoroughly enjoying it. But when I read the book, which I thoroughly enjoyed too, I realised just how much of it had been left out in the film - whole characters....... mind you, it was a long book

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
I've not seen the film because it's one of my favourite books and I'm worried it'll spoil it :smile:
Never read anything else that comes so close to capturing being a teenage boy with mates and all the time in the world to do whatever. (Though Maggie Cassidy by Jack Kerouac also brings back those feelings pretty well.)

I was going to post Stand by Me. I’ve watched the film multiple times and it’s superb. I only read the book last year for the first time. Also excellent. It would be difficult to choose between film and book, but the film would only edge it because I saw it first.

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
No Country for Old Men. The film is basically identical to the book but the performance of Javier Bardem adds extra layers of menace to the character of Chigurh IMO.

I haven't read it but they turned a short story into one of the best films of all time with the Shawshank Redemption, so that could be up there?

On a side note it's interesting how many iconic movies have been adapted from books/novels. Just perusing the imdb top 250 I make out at least 7 of the top 10 were novels/stories beforehand.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Remains of the Day.

Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson totally capture the characters and James Ivory accurately depicts pre and post-war England. A few script changes, but nothing major.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Forrest Gump.

Irrespective of what you think of the film apparently the book is bad.

Really,

really,

bad.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Alistair Mclean 'Where Eagles Dare' wrote the book and screen play for film.

So HE was responsible for the 1960s bouffant hairdos and makeup on the women, the helicopter that lands in The Schloss Adler that wasn't made until after the war, the 1950s era bus they escape in, the truth drug that wasn't in use until the 1950s...
:D:falmer:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've not seen the film because it's one of my favourite books and I'm worried it'll spoil it :smile:
Never read anything else that comes so close to capturing being a teenage boy with mates and all the time in the world to do whatever. (Though Maggie Cassidy by Jack Kerouac also brings back those feelings pretty well.)

I'd like to recommend it but I'm not sure I will. It's a wonderful film but if it's one of your favourite books I'm not sure it'll ever match those expectations.

It is a great film though.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Not a film, but the Game Of Thrones series, upto the final episode which was just pants, is much better than the book which I thought was confusing.

Looking forward to House of the Dragon next year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here