Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2024

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Really enjoyed this moving tale about schizophrenia and mental illness, including a powerful performance by Sofie Gråbøl.

Shows how subjective movies are, The Guardian wasn't a big fan, but The Times was. All down to opinion, but give it a go.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A Quiet Place: Day One

Depressing and bleak. Not really what I was looking for from a creature feature.

But I always enjoy a trip to my favourite cinema, Worthing Dome. Beautiful place. Great value for money and the staff are lovely.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Got a couple of free tickets for the Odeon in Brighton, probably will use for Longlegs or might wait for Alien Romulus but. ... I know the Odeon has a pretty ropey reputation - are there any better screens or screens to avoid in the Brighton Odeon? Ta

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Longlegs

Heard the hype but was told to lower expectations. Chose to sit front row, and this turned out to be the right decision for this film - it suits some films to be over stimulated and in your face (always remember doing this for Blair Witch).

Verdict - great atmosphere (if you like a slow burner), certainly spooked me, will watch again at home. Recommended.

Last edited:

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Did a triple attendance at the Marina this week:

Monday - Despicable Me 4. Thought I'd go before the kids were off on hols, and picked a lunchtime screening too. Strange how despite the schools not being broken up yet (apart from the ones with that dodgy concrete) there were a lot of kids there of school age. And they/their parents didn't necessarily look like private school types... anyway. I've always enjoyed the DM/Minions films as does critic Mark Kermode, but unlike him I found this instalment boring and unengaging. Hopefully it will be the last as the creative well has clearly run dry. Basic premise is that Gru and his family have to go into witness protection, in a safe house, but how the storyline plays out is already escaping me.

Tuesday - Fly Me To The Moon. A definite popcorn film, a fun comedy/drama with a bit of rom-com built in. Based before the Apollo 11 mission, it sees Scarlett Johansen as a NY advertising whizz, who is headhunted by the government to try and sway opinion back onto the positive side of the space programme, in the face of the Vietnam War. Once at NASA she meets up with Channing Tatum, a failed astronaut turned mission director, and her methods don't exactly go down well with him. Coupled with this, she is tasked with a top secret mission to create a fake moon landing set to film it for broadcast if the camera on the lunar lander doesn't work... Some superb period detail at Cape Kennedy etc., great performances and a simple, straightforward, fun watch.

Wednesday - Twisters. Another popcorn film, a lot more smashy crashy, and visually, they've done a great job with it. It's basically the story of two competing storm chasing bunches, who have different motivations behind their actions. For those of us fortunate enough to live well away from anywhere that tends to have any tornados, the incredible power and destruction is quite something to behold, and I suspect they've done their homework to try and represent them with some authenticity. A good cinema watch particularly when the storms hit - giving the sound systems a right pummelling!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Twisters - A decent summer blockbuster with a reasonable but basic storyline, two very likeable leads the gorgeous daisy edgar-jones and mr cool glen powell, great start and end, well made worth a watch. 78 out of 100

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Bikeriders last week, slow and all too very predictable (think goodfellas for bikers) - good music though.
The wife loved it, as some dreamy actors in it, I could not wait to leave.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Bikeriders last week, slow and all too very predictable (think goodfellas for bikers) - good music though.
The wife loved it, as some dreamy actors in it, I could not wait to leave.
I heard it is an absolute borefest

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Independent cinema seems to be on a death spiral due to lack of fresh intelligent product. Not seen anything I wanted to see at Duke of Yorks since forever. Where's the buzz?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Independent cinema seems to be on a death spiral due to lack of fresh intelligent product. Not seen anything I wanted to see at Duke of Yorks since forever. Where's the buzz?
The last decent one was The Zone of Interest

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Went to Despicable Me 4 yesterday with the nephew, was fairly enjoyable

The cinema was completely empty, just the two of us in the screening.

Cinemas seem to be dying

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
See DoY are doing outdoors Empire Strikes Back next month. Is that going to be on the front balcony? 348 tickets available currently. Not sure outdoor cinema is ever as good as inside.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
DoY is no longer independent and hasn’t been for some time.

The death of cinema is predicted every few years. I don’t buy it. cinemas, independent or otherwise will be around for a long time to come.

The only local cinema I’ll go to these days is Worthing Dome.

It’s an old school treat. An absolute gem.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Iron Claw.

Really enjoyed this on Amazon.

Zac Efron and your man from The Bear star alongside some good talent in this tale of family highs and lows set in the world of late twentieth century wrestling.

If you’re into wrestling you’ll revel in all the wrestling characters and matches.

If like me you have zero interest in wrestling, the drama and acting skills on show will keep you gripped.

It’s a great film.

And a terrific soundtrack.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Iron Claw.

Really enjoyed this on Amazon.

Zac Efron and your man from The Bear star alongside some good talent in this tale of family highs and lows set in the world of late twentieth century wrestling.

If you’re into wrestling you’ll revel in all the wrestling characters and matches.

If like me you have zero interest in wrestling, the drama and acting skills on show will keep you gripped.

It’s a great film.

And a terrific soundtrack.
Zac Efron has proved himself to be one of the best actors around at the moment

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Eno, with 52 quintillion possible iterations....Just my luck the day I go is one where they don't go on about the 'Arena' theme...

Pretentious, moi?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here