Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2023

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Sisu
I went to the unlimited preview screening last night. Overall I really enjoyed it. I was a little nervous at first about whether it would live up to the trailer. It starts slow, after a voiceover that felt like it wouldn't be out of place as the opening monologue to some 80s action cartoon. An initial dialogue free 'chapter' as we meet our hero and see him start his journey.

Then it picks up when he starts crossing paths with the Nazis.

The violence is over-the-top, comically so at times, but the films itself isn't especially 'silly'. There have been comparisons to John Wick because it's an older person kicking ass. The violence is funnier, but it's a similar 'look, this is a ridiculous premise, but we're going to treat it seriously' approach.

Plus, it's only 90mins long!
Yeah, just got back from Sizu.

Great fun, like Tarentino making a European WW2 Western Rambo

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to the secret cinema showing at cineworld tonight. Turned out to be an early preview showing of the upcoming Disney/Pixar movie Elemental.

It's set in a world where the characters are elements, fire, water, air, earth. We are introduced to a couple of fire characters as they arrive in Element city, a place where earth, wind and water seem to live comfortably together, but there isn't much room for the Firish. Eventually they find an abandoned building for sale and move in an set up shop. It fades to years later when they have a daughter and their little area on the outskirts of the city has been populated by later Firish immigrants.

Based on the director's own youth as the son of a Korean immigrant to america, it takes in the immigrant experience, young love as the daughter falls for a water character, dreams as the daughter battles with herself over whether she wants to take over the family store or not.

Pixar movies have largely grown up from their early days of talking toys and cars. Up, Inside Out and the like seem to be more serious in their approach. For me, this reduces the 'fun' that I had watching the early movies, but provides a richer film watching experience.

The look is really good, particularly the fire characters, which look like burning flames.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
For anyone who enjoyed Sisu like me check out 'the wrath of becky' 16 year old gets tooled up and takes revenge on some neo nazis. Whats not to like

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Picked up The Mist on Blu-ray last week for 5p (!) at the car boot. Watched the black and white version included and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. One of the better Stephen King books made into a film. Hadn't realised it was the same director who did The Green Mile and Shawshank (both shite imho). Recommended (the black and white version).
Well if you thought The Green Mile and Shawshank were shite, then I don't think we are on the same film wavelength.

Please let me know what other films in your opinion were shite as I may well have to give those a try if not already seen, also anything you thought was great, I may have to avoid them. :)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For anyone who enjoyed Sisu like me check out 'the wrath of becky' 16 year old gets tooled up and takes revenge on some neo nazis. Whats not to like
It's not been released in the UK yet. The first one, simply titled 'Becky' is on Shudder and Netflix which is quite fun.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Well if you thought The Green Mile and Shawshank were shite, then I don't think we are on the same film wavelength.

Please let me know what other films in your opinion were shite as I may well have to give those a try if not already seen, also anything you thought was great, I may have to avoid them. :)
Ok, if you insist - anything by Tarantino is shite, for starters (his movies appear interesting on a first viewing but reveal their utter shiteness on any repeat viewing). He's just a novelty act. I'm sure you'll love them.

Jul 20, 2003
Technically Film 1973 but I went to see the 50th anniversary screening of 'The Wicker Man' at the DOY tonight. Great to see it on the big screen.

Unfortunately it was preceded by an overly long and underly entertaining recording of Edith Bowman interviewing various people who weren't interesting. Felt longer than the film itself and really unnecessary.

After the film there was a Q&A with 2 of the directors sons and a producer who are working on a documentary but due to all the stuff before the film pretty much everyone left to grab a beer before closing or get home before midnight.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Watched Becky a few weeks ago and thought it was quite good fun, sat down with Wrath of Becky last night, I enjoyed it as much as the first, the Mrs didn't like either.
I think Sean William-Scott is actually a very underated actor. He'll always carry around the fact that he played Stifler, but I've seen him in a couple of serious roles and he plays darker characters really well.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Watched Becky a few weeks ago and thought it was quite good fun, sat down with Wrath of Becky last night, I enjoyed it as much as the first, the Mrs didn't like either.
I think Sean William-Scott is actually a very underated actor. He'll always carry around the fact that he played Stifler, but I've seen him in a couple of serious roles and he plays darker characters really well.
yeah my Mrs refused to watch it . She watched Shortland st (shes a kiwi) instead, says it all . Yeah with Sean William Scott i just always think hes playing a comedic role . Hes just got one of those funny faces and you expect him to go full american Pie at any moment

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Ok, if you insist - anything by Tarantino is shite, for starters (his movies appear interesting on a first viewing but reveal their utter shiteness on any repeat viewing). He's just a novelty act. I'm sure you'll love them.
Indeed I do like a lot of them. Kill Bill gets better with each viewing.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Just back from seeing Asteroid City.

If ever you need a perfect example of style over substance, this is it. Wes Anderson's latest film, chock full of well-known actors (and, bizarrely, Jarvis Cocker briefly) in a very stagey and actorly film, to the detriment of anything more than a paper thin plot. Looks incredible, but that's about as far as it goes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can anyone hear a bubble bursting?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
48 years ago this very day, the US release of Jaws, arguably the first ever Summer Blockbuster.

We had to wait nearly a full 12 months before it came to the UK, how times have changed.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Can anyone hear a bubble bursting?

I don't think it's as simple as a bubble bursting. Disney/Pixar's latest, Elemental is also struggling. Box office across the board is down. Cinema is still recovering from the pandemic, whether it be people still not having jobs, being used to waiting for streaming services to watch them at home for less, cinemas closing, people not being comfortable going where they risk being in crowds etc. The closing of the release window means films are available at home much sooner, putting less urgency on you to catch it at cinemas. If you're waiting a matter of weeks for home video, you might be more likely to put it off than if you have to wait 6 months for it. There's also a general trend toward IP and brand awareness over creativity and originality (even over originality within a film), which is a turn off for many.

But with the flash there are several other components playing into it -
-the controversies that surround Ezra Miller (they are accused of some seriously disturbing things);
-the hangover of Zack Snyder's DC films turning off a lot of casual fans (and a lot of the story around this is the 'closing out the snyderverse/resetting the DC universe with James Gunn taking over, with so many people not liking th snyderverse, why would they want to see the latest part?)
-one could say on the DC/Warner Bros side of things, the bubble has been slowly deflating since Man of Steel came out, given how the snyderverse divided the audience;
-WB leadership changing three times during the production, each head making different demands (the film has three different endings that were filmed, each giving a significantly different end)
-the current word is that Gunn and Saffran are rebooting the DC universe, making these final DC movies (Flash, Aquaman 2 and Blue Beetle) throwaway;
-The film just wasn't that good (don't get me wrong, I had a blast watching it, and the only two other people I know who have seen it loved it too, but we're all of a certain generation who will enjoy the references it is stuffed to the gills with);

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For probably the 26th time:-

(I can't help myself, it's a Pavlovian thing)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Indiana Jones and The Dial Of Destiny.

*NO PLOT SPOILERS*

I love the first three. Hated the last one.

Indy films have a special place in my film watching history.

I’ve just come out of the new one.

First impressions are that it’s far, far superior to Crystal Skull. By a long way.

Ford’s age just doesn’t seem to matter, oddly. He does a fantastic job and the old Indy charm is back.

The de-ageing sections are fine. Not perfect but good enough ti set the story up. I preferred the scenes where Indy is older. Which is the vast majority of the film.

It goes big in the third act. I mean BIG. It will put some off and I’m in two minds.

But I thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s fun. It’s silly. It’s witty and it’s definitely Indiana Jones.

If I’d had my way these last two films would never have been made, it should have ended with Crusade but they have been made and this one is pretty good.

One does have to suspend disbelief but I heartily recommend.

6/10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here