Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2023

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Renfield

Based on Dracula's faithful servant, who over the centuries has been tasked with bringing him corpses to feed on. They wind up in modern-day New Orleans, where Renfield, who by eating bugs gains super Matrix-type violent fighting powers to carry out his grisly job, decides he wants out.

Its stupid. Its ridiculous. Its totally OTT. The violence and bloodshed is off the scale (at one point, Renfield beats someone to death with their own ripped-off arms). Heads go rolling, bodies explode, faces are shredded, entrails fly everywhere. And then you have Nicolas Cage going FULL ON Nicolas Cage as Dracula, hamming it up to levels not seen since Face/Off.

Loved it. 80%

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I avoid most trailers nowadays - find they are too often Spoilers.
You'll definitely want to avoid that Meg 2 trailer, then. Unless it takes a weird left turn in the final 3rd I think it has shown quite a few of the set pieces and punchlines.

(Though I disagree that it's a 'nowadays' thing. Looking back at some old trailiers it's funny how much has always been given away).

Last edited:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I'm currently having a coffee while waiting for How To Blow Up A Pipeline.

Rather looking forward to this, my film guy rated it as one of hif favourite films of the year so far, which is good enough for me so I've not investigated further.

Will report back later.

There's the possibility this is my first film since COVID, not in a 'never going back' just an out of the habit stylee.
I watched this last night.
I really enjoyed it but the Mrs thought it was boring.
I assume no-one else has been to see Evil Dead Rise yet?

Saw it this afternoon from a mostly empty Cineworld at the Marina, and was surprised at how subtle and restrained it was...

No, hang on, I didn't mean that, I meant completely batshit bonkers, and the amount of blood in particular used must've cleaned out the normal suppliers for weeks! The writer and director Lee Cronin stated the film used over 6,500 litres (about 1,717 gallons) of fake blood. Set in an LA apartment block, there IS a nod back to the cabin in the woods, but it was nice to have a different location for a change. The SFX on the whole were really good, and if you've seen the trailer you'll have an idea about the odd bits and pieces. It's executive produced by Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell, and is supposed to be a follow up to the 2013 reboot which I can't remember if I've seen or not (which probably says a lot!).

Good fun and definitely intriguing to see how it all plays out, and how certain characters get out of certain situations if you like this sort of thing, lots of squishy, gushy bits and pieces, but don't be like the person I heard in the cinema, clearly dragged along, who said "Oh, good lord!!" at a mild horror bit in a trailer beforehand. If you don't like body horror, jump scares and general icky mess, give this one a wide berth. Those of you that do, it's a fun 97 minutes!
Me and the Mrs have just watched it and both of us thoroughly enjoyed it.
As you said, a shit load of blood and guts, hard to take seriously as it's so OTT, but that's the whole point.
A few nice nods to the originals, screwdriver in the head, the chainsaw, "I'm going to eat your soul" and "come get some"
Way better than expected. 8/10

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
I'm currently having a coffee while waiting for How To Blow Up A Pipeline.

Rather looking forward to this, my film guy rated it as one of hif favourite films of the year so far, which is good enough for me so I've not investigated further.

Will report back later.

There's the possibility this is my first film since COVID, not in a 'never going back' just an out of the habit stylee.
Just seen this off the old 'shiver me timbers'

Your film man knows his stuff...Was riveting and reminded me of The Wages of Fear/Sorcerer in the tension stakes

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just seen this off the old 'shiver me timbers'

Your film man knows his stuff...Was riveting and reminded me of The Wages of Fear/Sorcerer in the tension stakes
Yeah a couple of the hard cuts, between stories, were in themselves quite something.

The Ringer film team, led by Sean Fennessey, are coming over next week and putting on a Phantom Thread screening in London.
Assuming it's not sold out by this evening, I'll be there.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Scrabbling around for something to see today without heading out too far - might see the D&D film at the Marina. Never played the game, but understand that's not necessary for enjoying the film.

Last night watched Ghosted on Apple TV+ - the new Ana de Armas/Chris Evans film. It's an "action rom com" and the rom com bit goes on too long at the start but then the story proper kicks in. It's pretty lightweight fare but actually found this fine and a quite enjoyable, undemanding action flick. Definitely a little fanciful in places but then most films like this are. I won't be racing to watch it again soon but equally don't regret having watched it. 3/5

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just a quick reminder, if after some nice words you think you might give 'How To...' a go, if in anyway your sensibilities put you in #TeamPipeline, then it really isn't for you 😆

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Dungeons & Dragons - not bad...as I mentioned above, I don't play it, and felt initially that I wouldn't be able to follow the storyline, so much so it was crossing my mind to walk out the cinema part way through. Didn't help that the sound was awful. During the ads it was really quiet and sounded like only the front centre speaker was in use; this carried on through the trailers. I was hoping that the film itself would kick in with proper sound but no. Thankfully there was a member of staff who came in to do the normal piracy check (despite there only being three of us in the screening!) who beetled off to sort the sound. Normally I'd have gone out to get them to sort it, but the start seemed so dense with detail, spoken quietly so even harder to hear, that I thought I'd be completely lost if I missed any of it! As it happens, all that early stuff in the film turns out pretty dispensable as a disparate bunch get together in some major MacGuffin action. They DID sort of resolve the sound issue - to incredibly loud and rather discordant (and not sure the sub was in use) so much so I had to put balled up tissue in my ears to balance things out a bit.

There were some fun bits in the film, a tubby dragon and a graveyard scene being notable; the CG was a bit shaky in places; standout was Hugh Grant hamming it up to the very best of his abilities.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I finally got around to watching Evil Dead Rise. Eh. I thought it was fine, think perhaps the positive comments I'd seen raised my expectations a bit too much.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Babylon.

Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie and a host of A-listers depict the debauched rise and fall of the Hollywood star factories of the 1920's.

Despite the huge cast clearly believing they are giving the performance of their lifetime this misjudged, overblown, rambling, mess of a film fails on every level.

It's not funny. It's not insightful. It's not spectacular. Even the half hour long opening party scene makes the opener to The Deer Hunter seem like an adrenaline ride.

At a staggering 3hrs 11 mins, everyone involved seems to sag and give up 2 hours in. Even the actors who seemed to be reveling in it all check out as the film enters it's second, mind numbingly dull hour. I've rarely seen a film care as little about itself as this one.

Appalling.

0/10

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I've just finished watching Covenant, the Guy Ritchie film with Jake Gyllenhal. Set in Afghanistan and centres around a sergeant whose life is saved by his interpreter and as a result his interpreter becomes one of the Taliban's most wanted.
Fantastic film, absolutely engrossed from start to finish. Kind of headed in the direction you expected most of the time but still thoroughly entertaining. 8.5/10

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Watched Everything Everywhere All At Once again, with Mrs D watching for the first time. She made it through to the end but clearly wasn't a fan of it. For me, seeing it again there was more that made "sense" in terms of the story - things I spotted, for example in the background. Some of it remains too "wacky" in a forced way, although the repeat viewing revealed that the West Pier appears twice in the film - the first time for a fraction of a second. I was still amazed to see the Old Lady in a film like this - how many involved in the production would even be aware of the dilapidated structure, let alone push for its brief use in the film?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Can we pack in with the trailers for upcoming films please. We can all see them on www.imdb.com if we want. I want to know about films people have watched and what they thought of them.

tiny rant over.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Can we pack in with the trailers for upcoming films please. We can all see them on www.imdb.com if we want. I want to know about films people have watched and what they thought of them.

tiny rant over.
People can also get reviews at imdb, too, if they want.

This is a film thread, trailers are film related, and can be just as informative in giving people an idea of whether they will like a film. You're not obliged to watch them, and they don't prevent reviews also being posted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here