Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2022

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I saw it this afternoon and it was amazing. It felt so real, terribly and joyously, that i feel haunted now by its seeming authenticity. The closeness we feel to our parents, and they feel to us, but the secrets kept to begin with and eternally. It said so much, and terrifies me with its resonance. A coming of age drama that slightly says of the awfulness of what you learn of your loved ones when old enough.
For a first time feature it is a stunner that brought me to a single tear at its conclusion, and a few more when cycled off straight after in the cold air to collect my son. It's what you can do with subtlety instead of noise.

Before that i watched She Said. Twas alright. All the President's Men thought of a number of times through it, but not a harmful influence of tone and make-up, as we head to a known and unavoidable truth. I loved the sound of energetic and endless typing in All the... though, which couldn't be replicated here. I wondered about the systemic abusers at a point mentioned as the hunted though, and enablers, who didn't seem caught. And of the industry itself making this expose without a long look inwards. And 1 more wonder was of how the journalist suffering from post-partum depression might be being represented, or the sightly invisible offered to her. Anywho, the monster was felled and the idea of him rightly horrifies.
Excellent review MB (as always). Aftersun really does stay with you, in a good and bad way. The two leads and the debut director are all outstanding but in a very natural, unshowy way.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
One for next year:

Well, it looks a bit better than Crystal Skull but with the first three Indy films being my favourite franchise of all time and much loved by me, I hesitate to get excited. And that title? Oh dear. I am lead to believe it refers to SPOILER ALERT.....

The Antikythera Mechanism.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There's a comic con going on in Brazil at the moment, so a few trailers are coming out as they debut there.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Spielberg is not directing IJ 5 so I can't really see the point but the trailer look decent and a director with a good cv. I might give it a go

Last edited:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Watched Troll tonight. Me and the Mrs both thought the trailer looked good and had high hopes but it was pretty poo to be honest.
The effects smacked of an old Godzilla movie with a bloke in a suit smashing up polystyrene buildings and whoever wrote the script must have just read a book on action movie clichés.
Bland, not entertaining and I'd give it a swerve unless you're very bored.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If any here happen to still be a DVD nerd I strongly recommend the first half of this pod.
Very much a love letter to the format.

The Big Picture

(Can also be found wherever you get your podcasts)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Forgiven

A fatal accident disrupts the lives of Western visitors to a lavish party in the High Atlas Mountains of Morocco, and will ultimately lead to a reckoning in the desert.

Was quite good. Fiennes is always watchable and it’s got a good cast. It ultimately feels a bit unfulfilling but I rather enjoyed the journey.

6/10

Fall

For best friends Becky and Hunter, life is all about conquering fears and pushing limits. However, after they climb 2,000 feet to the top of a remote, abandoned radio tower, they find themselves stranded with no way down. Now, their expert climbing skills are put to the ultimate test as they desperately fight to survive the elements, a lack of supplies, and vertigo-inducing heights.

This is not a great film. The Hunter character is annoying and unlikeable and nowhere near as attractive as she thinks she is. I wanted her to die up there on the tower.
Becky is quite fit and I wanted her to live.

That being said, some of the cinematography is great and the height stuff made my arse twitch on a number of occasions.

It was entertaining enough and worth a couple of quid to rent.

5/10

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Fall

This is not a great film.
...... Statement
➡️

Without going looking back at all my cinema visits, this was the film I least enjoyed this year. I mean, I may find one I liked less that I've put out of my mind, but I really didn't like Fall.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
...... Statement
➡️

Without going looking back at all my cinema visits, this was the film I least enjoyed this year. I mean, I may find one I liked less that I've put out of my mind, but I really didn't like Fall.
I gave it some points for the camera work and the brunette.
But yeah, not great. I was in the mood for some trash. It did a job.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
I enjoy stories/films about Vikings and ancient Britons (not necessarily together) and usually like films that include Nicole Kidman. So last night I settled down to watch The Northman. On every level it has to be one of the worst films I have ever seen. How Ms Kidman agreed to be involved I will never know. Absolute rubbish, drivel and dross.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
I enjoy stories/films about Vikings and ancient Britons (not necessarily together) and usually like films that include Nicole Kidman. So last night I settled down to watch The Northman. On every level it has to be one of the worst films I have ever seen. How Ms Kidman agreed to be involved I will never know. Absolute rubbish, drivel and dross.
Ridiculously predictable also.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I didn’t think it was drivel but the story was told after 40 mins. The rest was just self indulgence.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Anybody else seen Triangle of Sadness ......starts of pretty slow but as it develops i found it quite enjoyable and actually a brilliant bit of satire at the current state of the human race , ends a bit abruptly but worth a watch.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Anybody else seen Triangle of Sadness ......starts of pretty slow but as it develops i found it quite enjoyable and actually a brilliant bit of satire at the current state of the human race , ends a bit abruptly but worth a watch.

Yep. My post below from earlier in the thread

I went to see Triangle of Sadness last night. After seeing the trailer.

It's a film in three parts. The first is an introduction to a main duo - a male model and his influencer girlfriend. This was an interesting segment, that could have formed its own film including discussions on gender roles and transactional relationship. The second section follows them on a luxury yacht where we meet more of the main characters. This section was funnier, and more of a satire on the very wealthy. With better writing it could have been its own short film, but as it was it felt like an overstretched short skit. The final section sees those who survived when the ship goes down trying to survive on an island. This kinda combined the first to parts - it was an interesting idea, but felt a little overstretched.

It has some good ideas, some laughs (particularly the middle third, that bit felt like a comedy whereas the first and last segments less so). It felt every bit a 2.5 hour film. I don't mind long films that feel like they are moving along, but this didn't always feel like it waqs moving you on, so it felt longer to me than some 3+ hour films I've seen.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Was dragged along by the missus and a few of our friends to watch the new Avatar movie last night. Got tired halfway through of the blue fucks in the first one, and felt the same in this one. So predictable and just not that fun. Again, the astonishing visuals only reason its even half bearable.

5/10.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Phantom of the Open is very good with a Superb performance from Mark Rylance. 8 out of 10

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
The Phantom of the Open is very good with a Superb performance from Mark Rylance. 8 out of 10
Yes, another vote for this film. A nice gentle bit of fun (and a true story too), akin to The Duke which came out a similar time and equally good. Had to fly over to NYC in August, and both of these were on the flight - ideal undemanding stuff, but very enjoyable too.

Off to see Pandora tomorrow which I'm not fantastically looking forward to - Mrs D and the two younger Dolphins want to see it though. Managed to swerve 3D or IMAX, and also managed to swerve the missus from re-watching the first one to reacquaint herself with the world of (ahem) "unobtainium" and the rebooted smurfs...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here