Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2013

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I watched Gravity and Captain Phillips this week. I thought both films were superb, for me I think Captain Phillips just edged it.Brilliant performance from Hanks. One of the most engrossing films I've ever seen.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Gravity got 5 stars out of 5 in the London Evening Standard earlier this week, which is pretty rare. Sounds a bit like the director didn't have enough confidence in his own ability and had to pull in A-Listers George Clooney and Sanda Bullock to ensure box office success. Can't wait to see it!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Saw gravity last night best 3d film for sure...thoroughly enjoyable....watched Thor the week before and have to say it bored me :(
Week before Captain Phillips which was excellent

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Saw Gravity for the second time tonight. A brilliant film for all its inch-perfect technique. The graphics were stunning and awards for that alone are well and truly due. A great watch with some imagery that'll long last in the memory.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Saving Mr Banks
Great performance by Emma Thompson, with a smartly added relationship with her driving making her more human and less of a caricature her relationship with everyone else would have made her. Very good performances from Colin Farrell and Tom Hanks. Some juxtaposed flashbacks are a little too "on the nose". For west wing fans, there is the funny sight of Josh Lyman acting out scenes from their early drafts of the script.

I really enjoyed it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Gravity got 5 stars out of 5 in the London Evening Standard earlier this week, which is pretty rare. Sounds a bit like the director didn't have enough confidence in his own ability and had to pull in A-Listers George Clooney and Sanda Bullock to ensure box office success. Can't wait to see it!

i doubt whether he didn't have confidence in his own ability....but yes you will enjoy it

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Watched gravity yesterday and found it boring and implausible wife agreed, thought Sandra Bullock was awful and George Clooney almost as bad.On film sites it splits opinions if you like special affects with out a decent storyline then you might enjoy this film.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Saw Gravity for the second time tonight. A brilliant film for all its inch-perfect technique. The graphics were stunning and awards for that alone are well and truly due. A great watch with some imagery that'll long last in the memory.

Off to see it early tonight at Duke's. Feeling a bit nervous as I'm not too good with heights so if it is as realistic as you and others have opined I might suffer !

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Saving Mr Banks
Great performance by Emma Thompson, with a smartly added relationship with her driving making her more human and less of a caricature her relationship with everyone else would have made her. Very good performances from Colin Farrell and Tom Hanks. Some juxtaposed flashbacks are a little too "on the nose". For west wing fans, there is the funny sight of Josh Lyman acting out scenes from their early drafts of the script.

I really enjoyed it.

I have since discovered there is an end credits scene, which I missed, but I'll likely check it out again when it is properly released (was an advance screening I saw).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Saw Gravity tonight. Still trying to come to terms with how to view it. In a way It's visually stunning in other ways it's pretty ridiculous. Overall it was very tense and suspenseful but,there was a big part of me saying hurry up and die ! However, the trailer for The Counsellor looked pretty good.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Saw Gravity tonight. Still trying to come to terms with how to view it. In a way It's visually stunning in other ways it's pretty ridiculous. Overall it was very tense and suspenseful but,there was a big part of me saying hurry up and die ! However, the trailer for The Counsellor looked pretty good.

Have my ticket for the Counsellor on saturday.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Not new to the world, i know, but i went to the flicks tonight and sat through a truly delightful experience watching The Golem, How He Came Into The World, a 1920 silent horror film. Luckily, i suppose, as silence might have sent me to the evening world of snory nod post-work, the film was accompanied by a live pianist/oboist/synthesiser, who brought it dramatically to life in the most beautiful way. His music alongside the incredible imagery of medieval Prague etched and scratched into an illogical and mystically gothic shape gave a great power to the piece. It's about the main Rabbi in the ghetto defending the Jews persecuted by the opulent Emperor by bringing to life a clay model called Golem. He's the Rabbi's slave and carries out chores whilst terrifying the locals, including the Emperor, who allows the Jews to continue in existence. How kind of him. Golem, though, this creature of curiosity and great strength won't remain obedient forever, the more the laws of his myth are read, and all could change.
I loved it. The design was of the sets was immense, some crafted stairs completely unstable, but bending around into what looks like a vast earhole, and animal faces buried into the outsides of the buildings. Not scary overall, but Golem is a wondrous anti-hero and his creation had some eerie shots that stood out with disconcerting mysticality. I'm going to see what else is on the BFI's gothic horror season with live piano as that concoction of sonic emotional manipulation and dramatics along with staring into the constructions of the past that have a dated but enthralling anime sense to them made for a bit of a magic night ought of the cold.

51Q0MN12ANL._SS500_.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Talking about end of credits scene ..i hope everyone remembers there is one for Thor

According to The Express there is no sign of a Thor for some time to come.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I saw GRAVITY last night, initially I wasn't fussed about seeing it but an uncle persuaded me after telling me it was getting good reviews.Then I saw it starred George Clooney and Sandra Bullock and my mood switched back to unenthusiastic.
Having seen it I have to say it was superb, I don't really like Sandra Bullock normally but she was great, but on the flip side I like George Clooney but in this, I really didn't see what he bought to the film. But to be honest, the actors were peripheral to the stunning earth as a backdrop. The film starts with total silence, you're just watching the earth turn from space and then a few minutes in you hear the crackle of astronauts talking, then the space ship starts as a dot and slowly comes into view. The crew are carrying out repairs to the ship but hear the Russians have carried out test rocket attack on a satellite and space debris is crashing around so get back in the ship and get the hell out, ect no spoilers.
Most of the film has the team space walking with the stunning earth as a backdrop. the film is beautiful and exciting and I recommend you pay the extra for 3D and defo see it at the cinema because it won't have the same impact on d.v.d

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I saw GRAVITY last night, initially I wasn't fussed about seeing it but an uncle persuaded me after telling me it was getting good reviews.Then I saw it starred George Clooney and Sandra Bullock and my mood switched back to unenthusiastic.
Having seen it I have to say it was superb, I don't really like Sandra Bullock normally but she was great, but on the flip side I like George Clooney but in this, I really didn't see what he bought to the film. But to be honest, the actors were peripheral to the stunning earth as a backdrop. The film starts with total silence, you're just watching the earth turn from space and then a few minutes in you hear the crackle of astronauts talking, then the space ship starts as a dot and slowly comes into view. The crew are carrying out repairs to the ship but hear the Russians have carried out test rocket attack on a satellite and space debris is crashing around so get back in the ship and get the hell out, ect no spoilers.
Most of the film has the team space walking with the stunning earth as a backdrop. the film is beautiful and exciting and I recommend you pay the extra for 3D and defo see it at the cinema because it won't have the same impact on d.v.d

Its definitely one to watch in 3d....and perhaps to sit nearer the front

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here