Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2011

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Tron Legacy 3D - IMAX Waterloo - Never watched a film at the IMAX before, and I must admit that the wonderful Daft Punk soundtrack, coupled with the subtly used 3D made it quite a spectacle. The plot isn't overly complex, which I know has been used as a means of criticising the film, but I really enjoyed it. I didn't find the 'Youthing' effect distracting for Clue and the youing Flynn. There are definitely threads left purposely open for the story to be continued. 8/10

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Inception (DVD) - I watched this a week or so ago, and I really liked it. Once again the film was assisted by a powerful soundtrack. Good performances by Di Caprio, Murphy et al - and perhaps one of Pete Postelthwaites last appearances on film (playing a terminally ill man). Clever plot, which perhaps does requre a little suspension of disbelief. I had no problem following the plot, although the end may require me to review my understanding of the premise of the film. I really need to get to see this at the IMAX, if it returns, as once again it would certainly 'work' in that format 8/10

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Brighton Rock
For the acting, Sam Riley is weak and unconvincing. Some scenes do work, but far too many don't - especially the ones involving Riley.

Sorry, but I can't agree with you here TLO. I thought Riley's character acting seemed far more reflective of the desperate-yet-evil Pinkie from Graham Greene's novel as opposed to Dickie Attenborough's posh-boy-turned-street-urchin in the original film.

I found it a likeable version of Brighton Rock, and the fact it was mostly filmed in Eastbourne didn't grate me too much - the way Brighton is in the modern day, it'd have cost the film-makers an absolute bomb in clearing the Old Steine for some of the scenes around the pier. I thought the scenes around Beachy Head were cleverly included for cinematic effect (they were set around Peacehaven in the novel). Sam Riley was almost as good as he was in the very different role of Ian Curtis in Control, albeit both films see him cast as a man trapped and on the brink. Not a bad adaptation at all and strong performances all round.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We went to see The King's Speech, this morning @ World of Cine, Chi.

More of the same 9.5/10 that's already been written.
But just to emphasis Colin Firth's Oscar Credentials, there is no way, he won't win Best Actor.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Fighter
I'm not generally a fan of boxing movies, so probably didn't enjoy it as much as I might have, but generally thought it was ok. Not sure about Bale's and Wahlberg's acting. I like Bale, but he seemed a little ott, and I fear being the bigger name he may swipe the oscar from the excellent john hawkes (for Winter's Bone). Wahlberg was just his usual quality of acting.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I saw Brighton Rock the other night and i emerged from the dark most unimpressed. As mentioned above, Sam Riley has not the slightest sense of menace to him and not that nippy-little-terrierness that Richard Attenbrough gave the character in 1947. His voice also carried no weight to it, no bluntable sharpness. In terms of the rest of it, i found it to be a shoddily-concocted brew. Very little suspense. No real background to any character's nefarious sensibilities. Some hammy acting from normally reliable players. Virtually no aggression from Brighton's hardest mobsters.
I didn't like it.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Greenberg - I like Stiller but this was a turd. No back history as to why he was like he was, no structure and no purpose to the film and ended as weakly as it had started. 4.2

The disappearnce of Alice Creed - A decent kidnap movie, all a bit far stretch but interesting enough and a good effort for a low budget film. 6.9

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Kings Speech

went to see it last night with some cynicism but ended up really enjoying it , superb cast and although I'd be the first to put my hands up and admit my British history isn't very good the portrayal was excellent , Timothy Spell at Winston Churchill was fantastic and very good (although only having the archive Churchill footage to go on) - it seems I only appear to go to films he was in , last film at the Cinema I went to was The Damned United

dark , but also funny in places - worth watching definitely :)

There are one or two pieces of period detail wrong (aren't there always?) - so from a certain point of view, you're not going to necessarily learn anything from English history from the film. For example, Bertie and Lionel Loque were 'friends' from 1926. The film squashes it into the two or three years leading to his accession to the throne (1934 onwards).

But that doesn't take anything from the film itself.

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008
Up in the air - 8

Great light feel good film, Clooney is excellent, I guess it's about how you need other people in your life to make it worthwhile...need to man up now, off to do something more manly grrr.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Saw 127 hours for the first time on Saturday. Really enjoyed it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I saw the remake of Groundhog day yesterday staring Bill Murray.
Very good.

I never saw a film starring a staring Bill Murray.... mind you, I'm not on high octane Belgians for a living...

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
I'm going to have re-see True Grit. I understood about 15% of Bridges' mutterings. I thought it would be better than it was. Still, a good effort and fun enough to watch. Nowhere near the intensity of No Country For Old Men and was rather orthodox in style for a Coen Brothers film.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I'm going to have re-see True Grit. I understood about 15% of Bridges' mutterings. I thought it would be better than it was. Still, a good effort and fun enough to watch. Nowhere near the intensity of No Country For Old Men and was rather orthodox in style for a Coen Brothers film.

Same here, don't know an awful lot about the Coens but wondered if it was an in-joke or something.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'd say there was about 15% I didn't understand.

Gnomeo and Juliet - 2D
Garden gnomes in a retelling of romeo and juliet, obviously. As you can probably tell by the title there are a lot of puns in this. It was silly fun. Nothing special, not a great film in its own right, but if you like puns...

True Grit
I'm not generally a fan of westerns, but I did rather enjoy this. There were moments where Jeff's twangy drawl was a little incomprehensible, but generally I did very much enjoy it.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
I took myself to rid a few sunshine hours with Barney's Version early this arvo. For me, Paul Giamatti had his legend status set with Sideways, and in BV he's a similar sort of character. His circumstances differ, but he sounds awfully the same. I found the film reasonably enjoyable until halfway through when the humour dried and the maudlinness took over. It follows Barney from his time in Rome in the 70s to more modern-day Montreal, the broadcastable fragments inbetween all of love and friendship. I wasn't much moved in the souring end, but Giamatti puts in a sterling effort, his voice unattractive but strangely measured and alluring.

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008
Seen a few films recently

Monsters - 5.75 Yawn

Scott Pilgrim vs the World - 6.5 Wtf!? Utterly ridiculous, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Winter's Bone - 8 Great film, chilling and mysterious with some great performances, these hicksville yanks sure are creepy. Is this a reflection of the true America, location and style wise rather than LA, NY etc?

A Single Man - 7.5 Very stylised, another great performance from Firth.

Kick Ass - 6.5 - A bit like Scott Pilgrim, so ludicrous as I didn't know what to expect, was somewhat taken aback when the girls starts swearing like a banshee and it all gets a bit Kill Bill. Didn't realise it was an 18!

The Town - 8 Affleck in fine form, great fast paced heist thriller. Love Boston as a movie setting in this and Departed, The Fighter and Boondock Saints.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here