Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2011

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Machinist is the best film of that type.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Brighton Rock is out on 4/2/11. I believe our very own Nibble is in it and I could be wrong but I think that is him on page 22 of today's Argus.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Fighter

This film is the shiznit beyotches. Christian Bale smacks it and even Marky Mark is good in it innit. Using tremendous wit in the right places, this story of Micky Ward is told superbly and watching it with a massive boxing fan was interesting as the detail was seemingly spot on. All the actual fight scenes looked realistic, which is in stark contract to most boxing films I've seen. Watch this. 8.5/10. Big tings.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
tomorrow when the war began - utter cheesey bollocks . think an australian version of red dawn (where the kids fight back against the russians). they must be up against the worst army in the world. turned it off halfway through. 3/10 (dont be swayed by imdb 6.6/10)

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I thought the King's Speech was excellent. The is one of the few films I have seen recently where the interaction between the characters actually felt real. It had just the right balance of emotion, serious moments and humourous breaks in tension. A 9/10 from me.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Kings Speech - I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the constant tittering of the crowd everytime Timothy Spall appeared. But then I was in the Duke of York's (yes, I know). 7.8

The Dissapearance of Alice Creed - Unexpectedly excellent. Gemma Arterton strays way out of Bond girl territory in this funny, surprising and compelling kidnap drama. Also featuring that bloke from all of those other things including playing 'Stoat' in Game On. 8.3

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Next Three Days
Elizabeth Banks is imprisoned for murdering her boss, her husband Russell Crowe believes her to be innocent and refuses to give up the fight to get her out, even when all legal avenues are exhausted.
It was well made, I guess, it just didn't really connect for me, I had no sympathy for Russell Crowe, no sense that we should get behind him etc. it's like the character was entirely defined by his dedication to his wife, so you don't get any other sense of who he is and why we should care whether he succeeds or not in freeing her. She is barely shown beyond the odd prison visit. It's mostly just russell looking tired.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Priceless starring Audrey Tatou, Gad Elmaleh and Marie-Christine Adam.

Perhaps one could describe it as a 'chick flick', but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Tatou at her very finest and a relevant subject for this day and age.

Gad was excellent and I look forward to seeing him in the Tintin film.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Brighton Rock is out on 4/2/11. I believe our very own Nibble is in it and I could be wrong but I think that is him on page 22 of today's Argus.

Everyone who lives in Eastbourne got a part, my sister is in it as a fish and chip seller on the pier.

Uncle, is it true you're appearing in the eagerly anticipated 'Black Swan'? Release date later this month and one I will definately be going to see.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
The Dissapearance of Alice Creed - Unexpectedly excellent. Gemma Arterton strays way out of Bond girl territory in this funny, surprising and compelling kidnap drama. Also featuring that bloke from all of those other things including playing 'Stoat' in Game On. 8.3

and you see her boobs. so winner! :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Green Hornet
I wasn't expecting much, partly because it was based on a radio serial, partly because I'm not a fan of seth rogan, and partly because the trailer made it seem like the entire film was spoken in exposition. But it managed to beat my expectations, Christoph Waltz was particularly enjoyable, otherwise the characters weren't particularly complex, deep or original, but it was fun, if unspectacular.

Conviction
It was decent enough. Sam Rockwell was as good as he usually is, but Hilary Swank was more annoying than she usually is with a fake massachussetts accent (I'm starting to suspect I don't like a mass. accent, it annoyed me in the town too). It was a decent film of it's type, but when the main character is in almost every scene and she annoys you, it is hard to enjoy the film. At the end they show a picture of the real life brother and sister, and really, if they wanted someone who looked like them, I think pruitt taylor vince would have been more appropriate than Sam Rockwell, but then we wouldn't have Sam do his little dancing thing.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The Green Hornet is not a film I'd normally choose, but when my son gave me the opportunity to go with him (and pay obviously) how could I refuse? Also following an afternoon in the pub, I may have missed the beginning, but when I woke up I was still able to follow what was a pretty thin plot and familiarise myself with an uninspiring cast.

But my main comment is that here we have another film that has no need to be in 3-D. Rather like Toy Story 3 it added absolutely nothing to the film whatsoever. Pointless.

Not the worst film by a long chalk, but if you want to see it, be quick, because it won't be on long judging by the low turnout in the Odeon yesterday evening. And don't be put off by the reviews that say it is too long at 118 minutes, just do what I did and have a kip through the first 20 minutes.

5/10

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Black Swan - 9/10

Incredible film and Natalie Portman is superb. I did jump a few times and have to turn away as some bits are a bit horrific.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I saw a couple of films on tv today. One was Niagara, a part-noir with Marilyn Monroe as the femme fatale. Joseph Cotton, a legend from Citizen Kane and The Third Man, was the mentally-impaired male lead battling to prevent the plot Monroe, his wife in the film, had against him. It wasn't wonderful and had that corny 50s feel to it in which most men are near-perfect and therefore characterless with it (the sort you saw in the Bewitched series). Males are yellowly-groomed and not a hair of theirs is out of place. No one is moustachioed or in the slightest grubby. If so, standout features are a stain on their character. I find that annoying, despite an awareness of the deep conservativeness of America at that time when nothing that challenging ought be aired. Anyway, the film was ok. The noirish and abstract elements were misplaced, but the use of the Niagara Falls as a permanent canvass to paint murders on made it a catchy world anyhow.

Next up was when i put on Le Cinemoi. I have known it's there as a channel, but made some silly presumptions of the sort of french films they showed or had license to. So i turned over just in time for Marcel Carné's Quai Des Brumes (Port of Shadows). A soldier AWOL from whichever pre-war settlement he was placed at, looks to like a slow and thoughtful escape from Le Havre. He talks drolly of life being unfair, but finds moments of reasonable happiness in the arms of a young woman for a day or two before his escape-ship leaves for Venezuela. Whilst in Le Havre and defending the lady and looking to hide his identity, he finds enemy in a local gang. It was good. Shadowy and philosophically smart-talking. The look of it and the deadness of the city were appealing. And it's always nice to see men slapping each other's faces in fight-scenes.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Dilemma
I thought this was decent enough. It isn't too challenging (either to the conventions of the art of making movies, or to the audience). If you don't like vince vaughn it probably won't be your thing, though due to the subject and the story he wasn't afforded too many opportunities to go off in his typical rant. It was an inoffensive way to spend 1hr40m, but probably not something to make special effort for.

Black Swan
I enjoyed this very much. I knew I had a thing about clenched or flexed toes that makes me squirm (seriously, nothing in any of the saw movies makes me squirm as much as the scene in final destination where the kid is hanged in the bath and you see his toes clench *shudder*), but apparently standing on toes makes me squirm too. This isn't one you can switch your brain off for, but very well made, good performances, etc. I'm not sure I enjoyed it as much as so many other people seem to have, but definitely liked it.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
tomorrow when the war began - utter cheesey bollocks . think an australian version of red dawn (where the kids fight back against the russians). they must be up against the worst army in the world. turned it off halfway through. 3/10 (dont be swayed by imdb 6.6/10)

sorry mate i reckon 3/10 is bloody generous. it was without doubt 2/10

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
A few i have viewed of late

Black Swan. I really was not sure about the movie, when it was finished i felt it was "just Ok" but found i was talking and thinking about it quite a lot later on, so have just watched it again. thats rare for me. I must have been in the wrong mindset when i first watched it, because i can honestly say its worth a clear 9/10

Green Hornet, only a 6.5/10 but was harmless enough and quite amusing

Kings speech 9/10 excellent

Millenium trilogy. First part 8/10. 2nd part 6/10, final part 8/10

Dawn Treader...6/10 but the mouse was pretty cool!

127 hours.....ok but not quite up to expectation really, but 7/10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here