Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2011

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Watched Troll Hunter Yesterday and its brilliant, ive never been scared and laughing at the same time. Dont let the subtitles put you of, its 8/10.

Brief overview.

Students follow chap they beleive is a bear poacher, turns out hes a troll hunter keeping the existence of trolls secret for the Government and sorting out rogue ones. He's had enough and decides to let the kids film him. Its a bit Cloverfield, filmwise, but again its way better than Cloverfield.

If you like black twisted humour and "get it" you will love it. It references the fairy tales and not internet trolls in case anyone was wondering.

It shows its time to pension of duds like Cameron and Spielburg for fresh new talent like the producer of this film. I saw Cowboys and aliens a while back and although entertaining and good CGD monsters, it was predictable cliched and steriotipical of a lot of Speilburgs stuff these days.

Spielberg did not make CaA so I don't have a clue what you are going on about.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Watched Troll Hunter Yesterday and its brilliant, ive never been scared and laughing at the same time. Dont let the subtitles put you of, its 8/10.

Brief overview.

Students follow chap they beleive is a bear poacher, turns out hes a troll hunter keeping the existence of trolls secret for the Government and sorting out rogue ones. He's had enough and decides to let the kids film him. Its a bit Cloverfield, filmwise, but again its way better than Cloverfield.

If you like black twisted humour and "get it" you will love it. It references the fairy tales and not internet trolls in case anyone was wondering.

It shows its time to pension of duds like Cameron and Spielburg for fresh new talent like the producer of this film. I saw Cowboys and aliens a while back and although entertaining and good CGD monsters, it was predictable cliched and steriotipical of a lot of Speilburgs stuff these days.

Executive Producer
AKA: Executive in Charge of Production
A producer who is not involved in any technical aspects of the filmmaking process, but who is still responsible for the overall production. Typically an executive producer handles business and legal issues.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I know this was last year, but I want to see if anyone shares my view that Shutter Island > Inception?

After all the build up to Inception I thought it was very over complicated for the sake of being over complicated, and the plot was a bit all over the shop.

Shutter Island, however, was a modern day Shining. How it didn't get any Oscars I will never know.

Because it turns into a pile of shit at the end and has Leonardo Dicaprio pulling his usual "I look like a ten year old that's about to cry and I think I may have shat myself too mummy" look on his face the entire way through the film. As he does in every single film he's miscast in.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
The Guard

Following on from his last film, the surprisingly superb In Bruges, Martin Mcdonagh directs another bleak comedy, this time set in a sleepy outpost in the west of Ireland. Brendan Gleeson is outstanding in his lead role of bumbling bobby Doyle, who is caught between a rock and hard place in helping FBI chief Don Cheadle in foiling a multi-million dollar drug smuggling operation. More jokes and funnier gags than In Bruges, just with a little less charm.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Saw this last night in a full Duke of York's - think a few people there to watch it were wannabe spies themselves given the way some folk tried to stealthily push past myself and the girlfriend in the queue to get in.
As for the film itself, set in early seventies London, Gary Oldman (who is starting to look just that now) is a former security chief who comes out of retirement to find a rogue member of his past top level committee, who has been working as a spy for the Russians for several years. The film had a magnificent cast, full of the very best in British acting - the performances are excellent all round (seeing Colin Firth and Mark Strong play best mates in a film again has also reminded me to give Fever Pitch a watch again soon). Knowing nothing about John Le Carre's book or the TV series that was way, way before my time, it was an intriguing and compelling watch, though felt that after a slow-paced first hour and a half, the final forty minutes was a bit rushed with very little seen of two of the four suspected spies. I guessed right who the villain was before the film started too :rock: Did I get a prize? No.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Guard

Following on from his last film, the surprisingly superb In Bruges, Martin Mcdonagh directs another bleak comedy, this time set in a sleepy outpost in the west of Ireland.

The Guard is directed by Martin's brother, John Michael McDonagh.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Because it turns into a pile of shit at the end and has Leonardo Dicaprio pulling his usual "I look like a ten year old that's about to cry and I think I may have shat myself too mummy" look on his face the entire way through the film. As he does in every single film he's miscast in.

I think we were watching different films.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Advice to all: don't to Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy with a sleepiness inside you. I did, and sometimes felt a little lost. I don't blame the film though. I blame my droopy eyes and the fact i ran in the morning before a hardish day of work. Pah to me. The look of it was good and the acting quality, so it's certainly worth going to see. It really captures the 70s, of the grubby sepia-tintedness perhaps most dramatists make of it. It's a yellow and brown world filled with smoke. In this, of course, it's the tale of a top-spy coming out of retirement to track down a mole inside the Circus, the name for the highest eschelon of those in the secret service. There's no Bourne element to it. Just Gary Oldman as the cold-faced Smiley hunting down the Soviet traitor amongst those he knows. Quietly tense and never explosive, but, for all the time i could concentrate, goodstuff.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Watched 'Friends With Benefits', film was alright, but seeing Mila Kunis naked was worth the entrance fee alone. Film; 7/10. Mila; 10/10.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Agree with Nibble, Shutter Island was very over rated. Inception however is superb and Di Caprio is one of the best actors of his generation.

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008
Agree with Nibble, Shutter Island was very over rated. Inception however is superb and Di Caprio is one of the best actors of his generation.

Eh! Shutter Island is much better, Ruffalo and Di Caprio are excellent, Inception is alright but bit of a matrix copy, didn't understand the science of the film at all. I was surprised Inception got all the plaudits. In summary it is Inception that was overated!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Inception was vastly overrated. A film that thnks it's much more innovative than it is. Decaprio is a passable actor at best. He can be good in things such as Gilbert Grape or This Boy's Life when he plays younger but casting him as a tough guy adult in anything fucks the whole film up. He just doesn't have the gravitas to pull it off.

If you wanna see a film with the best actors of their generation in, and wanna see what real acting is forget Decaprio and his whiny four year olds face and get yerself down the flicks for Tinker Tailor... An immense watch.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Point Blank (French - sub-titles) - saw this recently at a small theatre in T Wells. Not sure if it is a new film or on general release, but if you get the chance go and see it. Really good "man in race to save his wife by helping the badies against his will" movie. Twists, truns, non stop chase. Simply brilliant. 9/10

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/jun/12/point-blank-fred-cavaye-review

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Inception was vastly overrated. A film that thnks it's much more innovative than it is. Decaprio is a passable actor at best. He can be good in things such as Gilbert Grape or This Boy's Life when he plays younger but casting him as a tough guy adult in anything fucks the whole film up. He just doesn't have the gravitas to pull it off.

I thought it was an awful film. Complete tediocrity from beginning to end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here