Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2009

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Inglourious Basterds
I think I had my typical response to Tarantino films "I like it, but don't think it merited the raving reviews it got". Decent story, well told. It mostly wasn't as violent as I was expecting, barring the final marking, and one or two other moments. Mike Myers wasn't as ridiculous as I was expecting. Brad Pitt seemed to be trying to play George Clooney from O Brother, Where Art Thou?.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
The Damned United

Really enjoyable, thoroughly reccomend.

Dirty, dirty Leeds.....:laugh:

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Just got back from seeing 'Funny People'.

Do NOT go and see this film, it's f***ing 2.5 hours of your life you will NEVER get back.

Seriously, don't...

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I went to see the ugly truth the other day. Why oh why did i agree to that film. Went and i didn't even get the complimentary handjob. Outrage.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Revolutionary Road. Superb acting from all concerned. A very dark and tragic film. Who would have thought that Leonardo de Caprio would become a great actor

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
500 Days of Summer
This was a decent anti-romcom, JGL was good, zoo-ey was her usual "adorable because she's all quirky like", decent story. Probably good for cynics.

District 9
This wasn't as great as I was expecting. Turns out the story is that a bunch of aliens land on earth, and a bit falls off their ship stopping them leaving. The local humans don't like them living so near, so he authorities try to move them into what was essentially a concentration camp. In moving them, one of the humans gets infected with something and starts to turn into one. He discovers one of the aliens was working on repairing the ship so he can take them home, and the alien can help cure the infected human. They are hampered by the government trying to work the alien weapons, trying to use the half alien that the human is becoming, and they have a component the alien needs to start his ship, and he needs to start his ship to save the infected human. Not exactly the allegory for immigration I was expecting, at least not on too obvious a level. It was done in a documentary style, but also large bits of it weren't and it became a slightly above average action movie.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Rewatching Pan's Labyrinth.

9/10.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Well, as soon as the game finished yesterday, with that stupid indirect freekick in our area, i went to see District 9 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Some cracking graphics and a rollicking good action film. I didn't have much feeling for our main character, and the political side of it was a little undercooked, but the exploding heads and the little ode to Robocop made it all good for me. And the remembrance of the apartheid was hinted at throughout, so there was a reasonable discomfort thanks to South Africa's still-living history. To have gone into it deeper would have taken away time to see people pulled apart and a pig being cannoned into a gun-happy soldier, who is then wallopped through a "prawn"'s shack. Some of it suggests a sequel, but it'll be difficult to make and the director shouldn't waste his career by being stuck on just one thing.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
500 Days of Summer
This was a decent anti-romcom, JGL was good, zoo-ey was her usual "adorable because she's all quirky like", decent story. Probably good for cynics.

District 9
This wasn't as great as I was expecting. Turns out the story is that a bunch of aliens land on earth, and a bit falls off their ship stopping them leaving. The local humans don't like them living so near, so he authorities try to move them into what was essentially a concentration camp. In moving them, one of the humans gets infected with something and starts to turn into one. He discovers one of the aliens was working on repairing the ship so he can take them home, and the alien can help cure the infected human. They are hampered by the government trying to work the alien weapons, trying to use the half alien that the human is becoming, and they have a component the alien needs to start his ship, and he needs to start his ship to save the infected human. Not exactly the allegory for immigration I was expecting, at least not on too obvious a level. It was done in a documentary style, but also large bits of it weren't and it became a slightly above average action movie.

how about a SPOILERS ALERT considering you've given the whole plot away !!

i agree though, after all the hype i thought it was very meh.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
District 9 was distinctly average despite all the rave reviews its been getting.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
how about a SPOILERS ALERT considering you've given the whole plot away !!

i agree though, after all the hype i thought it was very meh.

Sorry, I didn't think it was very spoilerific. It was just meant as a general overview of the plot, something that has occurred in many many posts in this thread. I guess I may have gone too far. Sorry.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Not exactly a film but i did enjoy Harper's Island on BBC3 last night, a quite good mix of comedy, teen drama and lots of gore

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
yeah but was the message? that aliens can be decent? that old chesnut that they have more "humanity" than man? that nigerians are always mixed up in something dodgy?

I dont go to the cinema for a "message" I go to be entertained. If I want a message I will watch some arty farty B&W french movie of a bloke in a cafe eating ham. As a piece of ENTERTAINMENT District 9 served it up in spades.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Race to Witch Mountain

Solid Disney Family Fare with this remake about a couple of Aliens being chased by the authorities and having to get back to their spaceman and then to home.

A decent enough film with some good effects and an engaging performance by the kids and the Man Mountain, The Rock.

Good family fare for a Sunday afternoon.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Damned United

Its an interesting film but not the great work some claim. Its basically a made for TV movie and pretty average apart from a stand out performance by Sheen.

Still amusing to see the way football was , hardly flattering to Bremner or the other Leeds players.

Sheen sounded and acted like Clough but Spall although a great actor does NOT sound or look like Peter Taylor one iota.

Funny to see the bits about BHAFC and Clough's reaction. Interesting to know Bamber came in for Clough directly after Derby sacked him but Clough renaged on his deal with Bamber and Taylor honoured it.

When they re united we all know what happended. It was the start of the BHAFC charge up the league table. Clough did a solid season of work but it was Taylor who took that forward on his own and Mullery reaped the benefits of Taylor's work.

Overall dissapointing a little and only worth watching for Sheen's performance and BHAFC references ( showed the Brighton Pier , should have been the Palace Pier ).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Funny People

I rather enjoyed this. Parts did go on too long, but I thought Adam Sandler played the sad superstar comedien well, and Seth Rogan didn't annoy me as much as he usually does.
I think it helped that I went in not expecting a comedy, because this is more of a long winded drama and character piece.

I also rewatched district 9 and enjoyed it more going in expecting an action film instead of a dramatic allegory for human race relations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here