Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

fill me in, please!

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Would not use the words Fill Me In whilst walking around in a so called town full of faggots :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Brighton Seagulls are in the Coca Cola Championship - which is in the second level of our national league. We play at the Withdean Fishbowl, which makes the Rose Bowl look awesome. In fact, it makes my toilet look awesome. We have a three-seasons' average of 472 over 10. That's a lifetime's best of three point one.

Peter Ward (who I assume you are on an exhange visit with) is still a legend. But he played for us 1975-80, and we haven't had too many of them since.

We are not in London, and no, we don't know The Beatles.

cliche guevara

Nov 17, 2004
orange county, CA
thanks for everyone's help, i didn't want to just show up without knowing anything about the team, you know?
one thing though, why are away games better than home games? here, it's always a huge trip to see any team away from LA. i guess it's different in the uk.

ps i promise i'm american, even though there is a big difference between a californian and, let's say, someone from wyoming.

pps no, i don't know kirsten, but damn i wish i knew julie cooper.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
cliche guevara said:
one thing though, why are away games better than home games?.
because the fans are more fired up for it , usually its because people make a day of it and we go to proper grounds rather then our refurblished athletic track

NorCalSeagull

Nov 1, 2004
NorCal
Hello michael,
i'm a university of Sussex student in California (UCD). You will love going to watch the albion. I went to the MLS playoff final between DC united and Kansas City on Sunday, there may not be 4 goals in 20 minutes at Brighton games and you can't take a beer to your seat, but the announcer certainly won't thank sponsors every twenty minutes DURING THE GAME!!!. Have a great time - wrap up warm!!!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Welcome to the City by the Sea, dont forget to try Harveys beer while your here.( that's about it):drink:

NorCalSeagull

Nov 1, 2004
NorCal
a few more differences you will encounter between US soccer and Football:

We play on a pitch not a field

A long goal kick tends not to be applauded - certainly not whooped at!

A goal keeper who has let in no goals has kept a "clean sheet" not performed a "shut out"

Yellow cards are not announced over the PA

running off the ball is infinately better

when chanting no one will shout "stop" as a signal to end the chant after the line - here you will just look like a fool

we tend to support a team trather than a player - Freddy Adu!

It's much more physical

The linesmen understand the offside rule

On recieving a red card a player is sent off rather than ejected

If you hear English people talking about lobbing Seaman at the time of any major tournament, don't be alarmed, it's not a strange ritual!

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
And when we get a penalty you do not move the ball forward or get 3 attempts

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
"The linesmen understand the offside rule"

You sure about that? :glare:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
NorCalSeagull said:

If you hear English people talking about lobbing Seaman at the time of any major tournament, don't be alarmed, it's not a strange ritual!
IT'S NOT

:blush: boy do i feel stupid

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
We tend to use the same players for the whole match too - 3 replacements are permitted, but once you're off you can't come back on again. e.g. we don't have a defense 11 and an offence 11, we have a team ....

two halves, not four quarters or three periods, or two innings

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
And the referee (there's only one) doesn't just look stupid - he is stupid.

You must also learn the National Anthem, which is sung several times DURING the game. The title is 'Good Old Sussex by the Sea'. There are several verses, but you only have to know the tune to half of it, and sing as loud as you can for the rest. You'll soon pick it up.

cliche guevara

Nov 17, 2004
orange county, CA
no homeruns or field goals? wtf?
haha i've been to games in austria and germany before, and the american game isn't too different anyway (except even in LA you can drink in the stands, why not in brighton?!). but i am enjoying this introduction to the english game! thanks to all for the help. we get the premiership on tv sometimes, but i never see much of the lower divisions. i bet the championship and lower-down are more fan oriented, huh?

speaking of, how is the relationship with between the F.O. and the fans with the seagulls?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Spontaineity of the fans is probably THE major difference between British and North American fans. I used to go regularly to watch The Leafs, Blue Jays, Argos and also the Toronto Blizzard in the old NASL. Unless the organist starts playing the crowds in N. America are relatively quiet. You only have a few chants "Let's Go [insert team name here]", "Charge" or boring rhythmic clapping. We (most of the time) sing our collective nuts and nipples off-when we decide it is appropriate. Sometimes for virtually the whole game! Oh-and THE BEST football song ever is "Good Old Sausage By The Sea" ;) (that's what an Everton thought we sang:))

Avoid the Premiershite-it's over-rated, over-hyped and not as good as its marketing team try and make out it is. Stick with the lower leagues-much more fun.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
cliche guevara said:
(except even in LA you can drink in the stands, why not in brighton?!)

It's the law I'm afraid - due to the hooligan element that existed in the 70's and 80's. You can buy beer at football stadiums, it's just not allowed to be sold or consumed within sight of the pitch.

If you want to watch sport whilst having a nice relaxing beer I suggest getting yourself along to the County Ground in the summer to watch Sussex play cricket.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
cliche guevara said:
thanks for everyone's help, i didn't want to just show up without knowing anything about the team, you know?
one thing though, why are away games better than home games? here, it's always a huge trip to see any team away from LA. i guess it's different in the uk.

You've got to bear in mind that England is relative to the states a v small place. You can travel to most places and back in a day, so it's easy for large numbers of fans to travel to away games. I think Im right in saying California is bigger than the Uk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here