Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fifa World Player of the Year 2009 - Who gets YOUR vote?

FIFA World Player of the Year 2009 Nominees...

• Michael Ballack (Germany), Chelsea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gianluigi Buffon (Italy), Juventus

• Iker Casillas (Spain), Real Madrid

• Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon), Inter Milan

• Thierry Henry (France), Barcelona

• Luis Fabiano (Brazil), Sevilla

• Carles Puyol (Spain), Barcelona

• Franck Ribery (France), Bayern Munich

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Tough one for me, but interested to see the general consensus. Torres? Messi? Iniesta?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
xavi.jpg

When he plays well, Barca play well. When he doesn't, they don't.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
whys Ballack in there? he's been mostly shit this year for Chelsea...when hes played!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Despite a current dip in form, it's Messi for me.

He is just pure flair.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'd say Xavi or Messi, but gone for Xavi because he's been brilliant for Spain as well whereas Messi's not been great for the Argies (but that's more the various coaches fault)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If it was purely International form, Rooney wouldn't be a bad shout. He has been SUBLIME for England through the qualifying group stage.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Ballack's addition to that list is a nonsense.

You can't really look far beyond Ronaldo - however much it pains me to say it.

Xavi would be my shout though.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Xavi and Messi would never cut it in the Premiership.

how you work that out. Xavi owned England when we played the Spanish and Barca's record against English teams ain't exactly bad in the last few years.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
how you work that out. Xavi owned England when we played the Spanish and Barca's record against English teams ain't exactly bad in the last few years.

Pah, get em over for a full season of getting booted up in the air and see how good they are then. The Spanish league is far too pussy and allows these 'brilliant' players to express themselves more. Messi and Xavi would struggle to get into the Top 4 sides in the Prem. I'd rather have Carrick than Xavi any day.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Pah, get em over for a full season of getting booted up in the air and see how good they are then. The Spanish league is far too pussy and allows these 'brilliant' players to express themselves more. Messi and Xavi would struggle to get into the Top 4 sides in the Prem. I'd rather have Carrick than Xavi any day.

I know you're fishing, but it doesn't even work for the following reason:

Fernando Torres.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Pah, get em over for a full season of getting booted up in the air and see how good they are then.

Has the last 20 years passed you by Chappers. Players don't get "booted up in the air" anymore, you only have to have an angry look on your face in a challenge and you're sent off for intent. It's virtually a non-contact sport these days.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Has the last 20 years passed you by Chappers. Players don't get "booted up in the air" anymore, you only have to have an angry look on your face in a challenge and you're sent off for intent. It's virtually a non-contact sport these days.

I still don't think these players who flourish in Spain would cut it in England.

NO WAY.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I still don't think these players who flourish in Spain would cut it in England.

NO WAY.

Xabi Alonso

Fernando Torres

Cristiano Ronaldo (perfect example of the sort of player you're talking about)

Stop Fishing (I made that last guy up).

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton

NO WAY.

It's bullshit though.

If Fabregas and Torres were currently playing in the Spanish league, you would say the exactly the same thing about them...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Ronaldo is different, he's a class above. Reckon he'll bang in a goal a game at least in Spain.

Half the players in the Spanish primera liga are prolly Championship standard over here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here