Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fifa to abolish extra time, at next World Cup?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I wouldn't scrap extra timbe but I did enjoy the drama of the silver or golden goal rules.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Often we see teams set themselves up even more defensively in extra time, in an attempt to avoid conceding a goal at all costs."

Right Sepp. So whats to stop some teams setting up even more defensively right from the off, to try and tough it out for penalties at 90 minutes.

:facepalm:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
As usual Sepp Blatter is concentrating on the "pressing" issues that are blighting the game

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
On the one hand I can see why if one team has had play ET in a prev round they may not be as "fresh" as a team that have not.

But on the other hand I can see teams playing even more for a penalty shoot out than before so overall I think its a bad decision if it happens.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
and maybe do the penalties BEFORE a game, so a 'default' result is known, preventing any timewasting near the end, playing out for a draw etc..

this could also make EVERY game interesting, rather than a bore draw, and maybe worth the £££ they charge for tickets?

Monty

Feb 21, 2008
and maybe do the penalties BEFORE a game, so a 'default' result is known, preventing any timewasting near the end, playing out for a draw etc..

this could also make EVERY game interesting, rather than a bore draw, and maybe worth the £££ they charge for tickets?

Surely the team that won the penalties would still hold out for a draw?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

I like this idea.

A guaranteed shoot out and a match where one side really has to win it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I like this idea.

A guaranteed shoot out and a match where one side really has to win it.

Can you just imagine the cornerflag antics of the team on the right side of the pre-match shootout though ? Christ, they'd start doing it after half an hour.

Yoda

English & European
"Often we see teams set themselves up even more defensively in extra time, in an attempt to avoid conceding a goal at all costs."

Right Sepp. So whats to stop some teams setting up even more defensively right from the off, to try and tough it out for penalties at 90 minutes.

Did he not watch the 2006 Semi between Germany & Italy then?

I thought that was the best 30 minutes of extra time I've EVER seen in my life. Two teams really going for the win, non stop action and end to end drama.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Can you just imagine the cornerflag antics of the team on the right side of the pre-match shootout though ? Christ, they'd start doing it after half an hour.

That would be down to the ref booking the culprits for time-wasting and therefore exposing a player from the team on the right side to very careful.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Not before the game, but i would like to see it before the start of Extra Time. Then, one way or the other you'll have a team attacking and another one defending, for 30 mins.

It beats those nightmare games where clearly BOTH teams have just "settled for penalties."

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Play extra time but every four minutes each team has to remove one player.

alternatively,

Play extra time and every four minutes each team brings on an extra player.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im not sure he gets it, teams have become defensive so they dont lose, because its such a massive deal now. i not how all the teams with expectation, even Brazil, play two holding midfield. the teams that didnt have any pressure, like Germany or Paraguay, played more open and attacking game. There is NOTHING fifa can do about this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here