Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FIFA Officials Arrested

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
i say old boy , i have to take umbrage with that comment......seemingly farage represents a reasonable % of the populus where as blatter is a curly little turd lining his own nest.........which one of them would you want to be marooned on a desert island with....??

be honest now old boy ...there's a good chap.

Both said they would quit and reversed the decision when it suited them.

Both are sexist dinosaurs. Blatter thinks female footballers should wear shorter shorts, Farage thinks women shouldn't breastfeed in public.

Both happy to embrace dodgy supporters

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Just watching BBC news coverage, did Blatter say in his speech FIFA needs a leader who knows the ins and outs of the situation?
I'm pretty sure In his interviews after the arrests, he had no knowledge of the alleged activities.
Come on Sepp you can't have it both ways.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
South American and African players would still be able to play in Europe.
Is that a legal thing that means UEFA couldn't stop them? How about if the contracts meant you had to be available for the club you've signed for, at all times (which I think is perfectly acceptable), meaning you wouldn't be available when a competition from another governing body was on.

It's only the U.S and some UEFA countries that are outraged by all of this. Most others just shrug.
And the Aussies. But for the sponsors and tv, those countries are a big deal. How many fans spend a lot of time watching the south american cup, or whatever it's called? Europeans wouldn't be very interested in a WC that didn't include Europe, and Americans certainly wouldn't be interested, and I'm sure plenty of other countries would want to join.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Just a thought but if EUFA do pull out of FIFA then presumably the European clubs can just say 'no' to their non-European players playing in any internationals without ANY comeback, surely? I'm thinking especially the African Nations and WC qualifiers and friendlies.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Is that a legal thing that means UEFA couldn't stop them? How about if the contracts meant you had to be available for the club you've signed for, at all times (which I think is perfectly acceptable), meaning you wouldn't be available when a competition from another governing body was on.

And the Aussies. But for the sponsors and tv, those countries are a big deal. How many fans spend a lot of time watching the south american cup, or whatever it's called? Europeans wouldn't be very interested in a WC that didn't include Europe, and Americans certainly wouldn't be interested, and I'm sure plenty of other countries would want to join.

The Europeans will not act in concert though. Spain is backing Blatter remember, as is Russia. National associations rely on WC qualifiers to fill their national stadia and also make money from the associated TV rights. They will crumble, one by one.

Blatter is a crafty and devious politician, he knows that the dust will settle after the outrage. Mums and Dads will still be buying FIFA 16 for little Johnny when it comes out in a month or two.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Just a thought but if EUFA do pull out of FIFA then presumably the European clubs can just say 'no' to their non-European players playing in any internationals without ANY comeback, surely? I'm thinking especially the African Nations and WC qualifiers and friendlies.

Probably. The players might get arsey though, some of them sulk when they don't get a birthday cake.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Europeans will not act in concert though. Spain is backing Blatter remember, as is Russia.
It doesn't matter if Spain backs Blatter. If UEFA left FIFA, and had the Champions League without FIFA, do you think Spain would not want to go with UEFA?

National associations rely on WC qualifiers to fill their national stadia and also make money from the associated TV rights.
And there would be two versions of that. Who are Spain going to play against for their qualification, Africa?

Blatter is a crafty and devious politician, he knows that the dust will settle after the outrage. Mums and Dads will still be buying FIFA 16 for little Johnny when it comes out in a month or two.
None of that is in question. If UEFA left, it would change, big time. And who do you think spends the money on FIFA 15? The US and Europe, and they'd spend more on UEFA 1.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Blatter won't even need to go to round 2.
We know he's going to win. What matters is what happens next.

We need to boycott the sponsors and we need to make the FA know that we want UEFA to leave.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

You're underestimating the appeal of the rest of the world to sponsors. I'd imagine China, with a low take-up of credit cards, is infinitely more attractive a market than Europe where everyone who wants a card has one. There are just fewer than a billion people in Europe and the US, six billion in the rest of the world, that's a hell of a market to go for.

The other point is that you're assuming no-one in Europe would be interested: a world cup final between Brazil and Argentina would attract a lot of viewers here. And, don't forget, there are something like 15% of people in the UK from African, Caribbean and Asia (or of descent) - they're going to be interested. We've had internationals here where the likes of Brazil and Nigeria have played and attracted decent crowds

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You're underestimating the appeal of the rest of the world to sponsors. I'd imagine China, with a low take-up of credit cards, is infinitely more attractive a market than Europe where everyone who wants a card has one. There are just fewer than a billion people in Europe and the US, six billion in the rest of the world, that's a hell of a market to go for.

The other point is that you're assuming no-one in Europe would be interested: a world cup final between Brazil and Argentina would attract a lot of viewers here. And, don't forget, there are something like 15% of people in the UK from African, Caribbean and Asia (or of descent) - they're going to be interested. We've had internationals here where the likes of Brazil and Nigeria have played and attracted decent crowds

Sadly, all true.

It's a global game now and no longer is the rest of the world that interested in the motherlands of football.

Still, gives me an excuse to give my Visa cards back where I can.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You're misusing the word 'infinitely'. The credit card users in the rest of the world spend less money that those in Europe and the US. Obviously a WC without Europe and the US would still have sponsors, as all major sporting events do, but those sponsors would obviously pay less than they're paying now, and tournaments with those that leave would also attract sponsors.

The other point is that you're assuming no-one in Europe would be interested: a world cup final between Brazil and Argentina would attract a lot of viewers here.
No I'm not assuming no one will watch. But it wouldn't be a WC final, because many big teams wouldn't be in it, and I'm not sure that many people would watch. How many people here watch the final of the South Amercian cup thing? Why would we care who wins a competition we wanted to leave?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here