Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Few Spurs things .......

Stumpy Tim

Roger Mellie said:
I hope so - I used to go to The Goldstone in the 80's so I do know a good brighton atmosphere. I noticed we were voted best fans in something a few months ago - What was it ?, Why are we there?Do we have more passion than people think being conservative southerners?? I have also noticed Portsmouth fans and they are superb. Last game at home to Arsenal and 4 - 0 down (I think) and the ground was rocking and the best bit was they did not miss one fking beat or word in their singing when the next goal went in - fking top fans. Respect....

And then they probably went outside & kicked the shit out of anyone they could see. Scum the lot of them

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Bit harsh. It is a rough old place - but I suspect these days a lot more of the support comes from up the M3/A3 corridor - and (gulp) West Sussex. You did used to take your life in your hands going to Fratton Park - but it can't still be the case can it ?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Roger Mellie said:
Why is there no atmosphere at our biggest clubs??

Becuase the combination of Sky TV & The Premier League have stopped it being football, ie a sport, and it is now "entertainment".
:angry:

I think you will always find some of the most passionate fans outside of the premiershite.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
pasty said:
Becuase the combination of Sky TV & The Premier League have stopped it being football, ie a sport, and it is now "entertainment".
:angry:

I think you will always find some of the most passionate fans outside of the premiershite.
True. I hadn't been to WHL since the mid-80s (I was working in North London and used to go to some of their evening games). In those days the Paxton Road end was full of Spurs fans supporting their team. Now it's full of people sitting down quietly to watch a match as if they were in their living rooms. It was like going to Orient in the 70s, there didn't appear to be a Spurs 'end' and there appeared to be no group of fans leading the cheering. Worse thing for me though was that I always felt WHL was a one of the best 'proper' grounds in Britain with that magnificent Archibald Leitch stand and a unique character of it's own- now in the name of comfort and safety blah blah blah it's been turned into another soulless stadium with four identical, anonymous stands. Boo.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Some friends of mine some it up best (But oddly as well)

They are premiership fans and their team is always safe, doesnt challenge but they are sure each season they will be safe, but they reckon although they appreciate being in the league, it gets boring!

:nono:

Over my head I can tell yer!!

Paxtonlad

Nov 13, 2003
Roger Mellie said:
Have been on spurs web sites before and after the game and it seems they are almost always that quiet. Their fans were apologising but saying thats the way it is. Amazing!!! Highbury is supposedly the Library (even though two times I have been there it was pretty good - Man U and Juventus - so it should have been). Went to Chelsea a couple of times last year and hte atmosphere was pants there as well. Why is there no atmosphere at our biggest clubs?? Is it a southeren thing as I have never been to any of the top boys in the north??

I don't know what Spurs web sites you were on but that is certainly not a representative view! As someone who goes home and away, I can tell you that WHL is one of the best grounds for atmosphere in the Premiership. I'm not saying that the atmosphere is always amazing but it's usually far louder (and more persistently so) than it was on Saturday.

I've said it before but I'll repeat, Spurs fans never seem to get themselves up for cup games against lower division clubs. It's as if we take a day off and just wait for the team to entertain and inspire us by walloping inferior opposition. Since that didn't even begin to happen on Saturday (how inconsiderate of your team!), there was never much noise.

I'll also repeat, the atmosphere on Saturday was adversely affected by the fact that a large proportion of the main singing section at WHL was dispersed because of the extra allocation to the away team for a cup tie.

As to the whole north / south thing, it's a complete media myth. As you guys have already popinted out, the best home fans in the Premiership by far are Portsmouth. Can't get much more south than that! Northern teams? Goodison - one of the quietest grounds in the Premiership and they literally only have two songs, which they hardly ever sing. Anfield - a morgue. Old Trafford - a bit from the Stretford end but otherwise nothing. Newcastle "best fans in the world" (copyright lazy football hacks) - complete myth. Aston Villa - their fans might as well not be there. Man City - not bad at Maine Road, non existent at COM stadium. Blackburn - a drummer but no singing and no noise. Sheff Weds - mutes in their Prem days. Boro - part time supporters and it shows in the lack of atmosphere. And so on etc.

The only northern ground where there was regularly a good atmosphere was Elland Road.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Anfield - a morgue. When I think of how the Kop used to be

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
bought 100 balloons! was trying to blow them all up and pass them round, that i missed letting them go when the players came out :cry:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
pasty said:

ofcourse, that is spot on, very sad there PLC's more than clubs :nono:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Paxtonlad said:
I don't know what Spurs web sites you were on but that is certainly not a representative view! As someone who goes home and away, I can tell you that WHL is one of the best grounds for atmosphere in the Premiership. I'm not saying that the atmosphere is always amazing but it's usually far louder (and more persistently so) than it was on Saturday.

I've said it before but I'll repeat, Spurs fans never seem to get themselves up for cup games against lower division clubs. It's as if we take a day off and just wait for the team to entertain and inspire us by walloping inferior opposition. Since that didn't even begin to happen on Saturday (how inconsiderate of your team!), there was never much noise.

I'll also repeat, the atmosphere on Saturday was adversely affected by the fact that a large proportion of the main singing section at WHL was dispersed because of the extra allocation to the away team for a cup tie.

As to the whole north / south thing, it's a complete media myth. As you guys have already popinted out, the best home fans in the Premiership by far are Portsmouth. Can't get much more south than that! Northern teams? Goodison - one of the quietest grounds in the Premiership and they literally only have two songs, which they hardly ever sing. Anfield - a morgue. Old Trafford - a bit from the Stretford end but otherwise nothing. Newcastle "best fans in the world" (copyright lazy football hacks) - complete myth. Aston Villa - their fans might as well not be there. Man City - not bad at Maine Road, non existent at COM stadium. Blackburn - a drummer but no singing and no noise. Sheff Weds - mutes in their Prem days. Boro - part time supporters and it shows in the lack of atmosphere. And so on etc.

The only northern ground where there was regularly a good atmosphere was Elland Road.
I went to an Aston Villa v Fulham FA cup ties a few years back when Fulham were division 2 and actually won up there. Nevertheless, the din from the Holte end was very impressive. Totally agree about Everton and Anfield though.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Dick Knights Mum said:
I think you will tend to find the most passionate fans in the away end - at whatever the level.

I think that's true, but I also think away supporters consistently underestimate how much noise the home support is making.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Voroshilov said:
I think that's true, but I also think away supporters consistently underestimate how much noise the home support is making.

True but the press and the Spurs supporters i spoke to after the game said we were louder than the home support.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Saint Lennard said:
True but the press and the Spurs supporters i spoke to after the game said we were louder than the home support.
I don't doubt that, but I was making a general point.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Dick Knights Mum said:
I think you will tend to find the most passionate fans in the away end - at whatever the level.
totally disagree with that! went to pompey v spurs a few months back and the spurs fans (being the away fans) didnt make a peep! and i can think of many occasions when its happened!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here