Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ferret's Tips

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Now I don't profess to be much good at football betting. But all I do know is that whenever I check Ferret's tips, he seems to lose. Are there any millionaires out there who owe it all to Ferret ? Or do I always check him when he's having a bad week? This week for example:
Albion/draw half time/full time 16-1, Crewe/draw half time/full time 16-1,
no goalscorer 10-1, Standard Liege to beat Cercle Brugge 5/2.

All good fun but I wouldn't stake the mortgage.....:lolol:

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
But he isn't just putting tips on what he thinks the outcome is going to be, because then he would often lose, he's trying to pick out the best value odds - as he explains in some detail on his column. If he just went with what he thought the outcome would be no matter the odds he would win more often but not make very much, whereas obviously he doesn't win as often going for the outisde bets but when he does it's a big win. I think he usually has a profit by the end of the season.

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Ahem...

from my column this weekend ...

it is the Manchester derby on Sunday. Now I know that United are at home and are 2nd in the table, but City have not been doing that badly this season, and anyway, in derby matches the form book often goes out of the window.

Manchester City are 12/1 to beat Manchester United which, for two teams in the top half of the Premiership, is simply astronomical odds. Indeed, back in August, City won the reverse fixture! It is fair to say that United should and probably will win, but the 12/1 is certainly worth a speculative investment.

I thank you.

Spider is correct -- it is all about value play. Anybody blinding sticking £10 on each of my tips will have won in excess of £500 every single season in the seven years I have been doing the column -- and most seasons it has been four-figures.

Now I appreciate that £10 on each tip is a lot of money for some, and that is why we took the decision a coulpe of seasons ago to remove the stake recommendations - to allow people to bet within their comfort zone.

Incidentally, just two weeks ago I tipped Havant to be drawing at Half-Time against Liverpool at 9/2!

You are not going to win EVERY week. If I was required to do that then you would see a load of odds-on recommendations that would guarantee that - over the long term - you would end up substantially down.

Instead you will note that very few of my tips are at short prices, but when they do come up they pay, pay, pay

McShane @ 50/1 v Palace
Butters @ 40/1 v West Ham
Beckham @ 25/1 to miss a penalty

are just a couple of the very long priced winners I have tipped ... but there have been many many more.

I have to say that I did receive one or two e-mails this week about selecting Man City @ 12/1, including one rather heated one from somebody who told me that I was crazy and that United at 1/5 were the steal of the century.

I responded that you don't get rich backing 1/5 shots - he said, and I quote, "you do if you put 20 grand on them"

Now I really hope that was bravado and he didn't actually do that :(

Last edited:

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
From the Tranmere column....

Brighton are 11/8 to win, while the visitors are 7/4. The outsider of the three is the draw at 9/4 and once again that is where the value lies.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
I, for one, thank you wise Ferret. I was on Guy to score first and last v WHam the other season so when he netted the only goal @ 50/1 (the price I got) I was a very happy man. Enough smugness...
Surely the point of Ferret's tips column is that it is a GUIDE and, seeing as we are all meant to be grown-ups, we can make our minds up about whether to follow the tips or not. Some I don't agree with and some make great sense and frankly his knowledge of 2/3rd tier Dutch/French/Scandinavian football is remarkable and often remarkably accurate.
I suspect that if you compared him with some of the Racing Post's football tipsters, he'd be way ahead over a season. Keep em coming Ferret...

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i prefer SPIELBERGS tips :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here