Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fernando Torres

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Does anyone else think there's a danger Chelsea might just have wasted the most money in British transfer history?

I'm not saying he's shit, but to listen to many journalists and commentators they talk as though it's only a matter of time before he starts banging in the goals.

Yet the guy couldn't even score in Spain's side with the genius combo of Xavi and Iniesta behind him, Villa alongside him and Silva out wide.

He's upset the Chelsea dynamic with Ancellotti uncertain of how or where to deploy him. Dropping Drogba will only serve to piss off a player who still looks Chelsea's most dangerous player.

The way in which Liverpool have responded since losing their "prize asset" is also interesting. No wallowing in self-pity, they've bounced back for lower half of the table drfiters to Europa League shoe-ins, and have Andy Carroll to look forward to.

I'm enjoying Chelsea's woes immensely.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
At least Man Utd were guaranteed Champions League whether or not Berbatov played well. This time Torres has to deliver THIS season. Spurs and City are not f***ing about...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He's upset the Chelsea dynamic with Ancellotti uncertain of how or where to deploy him. Dropping Drogba will only serve to piss off a player who still looks Chelsea's most dangerous player.

The way in which Liverpool have responded since losing their "prize asset" is also interesting. No wallowing in self-pity, they've bounced back for lower half of the table drfiters to Europa League shoe-ins, and have Andy Carroll to look forward to.

It's early days yet but it's beginning to remind me of when Man City bought Rodney Marsh to bolster a pretty good attack and immediately started stuttering (or when Newcastle bought Asprilla and derailed their PL prospects). Of course, Torres could score hat-tricks in his next two games and this is academic. If he doesn't start scoring soon, there are going to be questions asked.

I think Liverpool's recovery had begun before Torres had gone though.

Doubt it. It's not the Chelsea way to change managers too often.

Five managers in five years suggest otherwise

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Think it will just take time for things to settle, Chelsea are in effect in transition as a team.

clif26

Oct 18, 2010
Five managers in five years suggest otherwise[/QUOTE]

Oh sorry.
I bow to your superior knowledge

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Does anyone else think there's a danger Chelsea might just have wasted the most money in British transfer history?

I'm not saying he's shit, but to listen to many journalists and commentators they talk as though it's only a matter of time before he starts banging in the goals.

Yet the guy couldn't even score in Spain's side with the genius combo of Xavi and Iniesta behind him, Villa alongside him and Silva out wide.

If you forget about the scale of the money, and just think Torres out, Suarez & Carroll in, then it's very possible that Liverpool got the best end of the deal. Torres will find form again, but with all his injuries, I'm not sure he'll ever sustain the heights he reached a couple of years ago. He'll get more games next season though, Drogba will almost certainly be gone.

On the Liverpool end, Suarez looks a very exciting player, and if Carroll can reach the potential that most pros think he has, with them both being very young, they could have some good seasons ahead.

One thing from last night's game though, David Luiz looks a very, very good player (penalty aside).

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

What he said! :lol:

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
It is strange - but it just does not look right seeing Torres in a Chelsea shirt. I used to like him - but it has been a long old sulk he has been on.

Yeah I'm no Liverpool fan but it just doesn't look right seeing him ina Chelsea shirt..................think Liverpool have definitley got the best deal.....the must have been laughing when Chelsea came up with the 50 million bid.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Its the same as when Berbatov signed for United..

i'll see your Berbatov and raise you Shevchenko. could go either way, too early to say. shows what happens when chairmen indulge in fantasy league managment without running their choices past the manager. see Man City for mis-firing despite having 2-3 squads worth of top draw talent.

do you think Ancelotti wouldbe out if they don't make the CL?

short of a Champions Leauge final, i doubt Ancelotti will be around next season any way. certainly gone if they didnt qualify.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Yes, all of this really. Hilarious that Chelsea spunked that sort of money on him. Not a bad player but woefully out of sorts for 9 months now and not worth the £50m they paid. Couldn't happen to a nicer club.

The Liverpool situation is interesting too. I must admit, the Kenny Daglish situation looked like a disaster waiting to happen, but fair play to the bin dippers, their form looks an awful lot better. I have a sneaky feeling that Gerrard will be sold in the summer and they will bring in another quality 2 or 3 reinforcements with the money. Gerrard is the sort of player Redknapp will buy - Mutley will act like he's got a real coup having paid £35m for him, and he will spout this to anyone who will listen. Gerrard will then be absolutely shit all season, predictably enough to anyone with a BRAIN.

Mar 13, 2008
Out of form striker for an out of form team. Right singing at the wrong time.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
At least Man Utd were guaranteed Champions League whether or not Berbatov played well. This time Torres has to deliver THIS season. Spurs and City are not f***ing about...

Sorry could you qualify that please? Why exactly does Torres 'have to deliver' yet Berbatov didn't? Are you saying Chelsea are now a one man team?

Confused from London

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sorry could you qualify that please? Why exactly does Torres 'have to deliver' yet Berbatov didn't? Are you saying Chelsea are now a one man team?

Confused from London
Clearly, he is saying that Torres joins a team whose Champions League place is very much under threat. When Berbatov joined Man Utd, they were never in a position where they might finish below 4th.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't think Ancelotti is helping by subbing him. His confidence is low, he's only ever going to get that back by being on the pitch and banging one in - he's not going to manage that from the bench. Stick with him. Ancelotti gave the bindipper fans EXACTLY what they wanted on his debut when he hooked him off after an hour, and the Fulham fans as well - they take the piss all game long and then see it as a victory when he has to mooch off scoreless, enduring all the catcalls.

Not that I care mind. Its always fun seeing a transfer carcrash unfold when its one of the big guns.

tottenhamseagull

Jul 7, 2008
What happens if Chelsea beat Everton by 3 or 4 goals on Saturday, Torres is cup tied for this game. Can they leave him on the bench for the game after?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here