Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ferguson's latest FA charge

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Being charged with 'improper conduct' for saying that "Howard Webb is England's best referee".

Much as I can't stand the red nosed old get, am I missing something?

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Thought exactly the same and I share your low opinion of him.

Apparently its a breach of a Premier League rule that a manager cannot comment on the referee before a game! (or something like that)

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
"We are getting the best referee, there is no doubt about that," - Bigging up a ref prior to the game.

"But [getting a bad decision] is definitely our big fear." - Suggesting Webb may make a mistake (obviously fueled from him thinking referees have made bad decisions recently)

"We just hope it's our turn for a little bit of luck." - Again, reigniting the fuel of his views that referees have made bad decisions against his team.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Fair enough that they should not speak about referees. It seems a petty rule, but they can't be trusted.

The respect campaign is a utter waste of f***ing money. Without wishing to harp on about rugby and their standards, that is a model that should be followed.

Pundits should also be controlled to some extent. They play a huge role in undermining referees and that spreads to the stands.

From this coming season. Only the captain and the offender should speak to the referee. Dish out yellow cards to those that interfere. Dish out yellow cards to those that shout and scream at the linesmen. Only the captain should talk to the officials. Most footballers take the piss.

The game can not continue without a referee or linesman. The game can continue without a player or four.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Didn't a Liverpool player get a fine after they played Taggart's lot in the FA Cup earlier this season for Tweeting a picture of Howard Webb in a United shirt?

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Didn't a Liverpool player get a fine after they played Taggart's lot in the FA Cup earlier this season for Tweeting a picture of Howard Webb in a United shirt?

yeah the mighty ryan babel. i miss him

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Oh so you're not allowed to praise a referee these days.

You can after the game but not before, expect a slap on the wrist though

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Seems fair enough to me. Sensible rule that he broke.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It could be argued that what he said could actually have influenced the ref in his favour but that is not needed with Howard Webb and the manner in which he normally refs United games.

Marcus

Jan 2, 2011
Hastings
The bloke has been in the game long enough and should have known the rules by now. Also, I just don't understand why Webb is so highly rated and in charge of every big match, especially when his dodgy reffing decisions are always in favour of United and cost the Netherlands the world cup with a dreadful decision in which he gave a clear corner as a goal kick which Spain scored from, although the Netherlands were playing rough hacking down Spain's players.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Being charged with 'improper conduct' for saying that "Howard Webb is England's best referee".

Much as I can't stand the red nosed old get, am I missing something?

Nah I reckon you read the whole thing, cut out the other bits and decided to make something out of it.

To the poster that said are they not allowed to praise refs before a game... read what has been said on here and make a more intelligent enquiry. What the OP has done is very tabloid. What he failed to say was what was then said which has been covered. Ferguson is a class one twat at mind games and he deserves whatever happens to him. I can definitely see why there is an embargo on pre match comments about refs when this scottish twat just thinks he has free reign. One day they will hit him hard.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
The bloke has been in the game long enough and should have known the rules by now. Also, I just don't understand why Webb is so highly rated and in charge of every big match, especially when his dodgy reffing decisions are always in favour of United and cost the Netherlands the world cup with a dreadful decision in which he gave a clear corner as a goal kick which Spain scored from, although the Netherlands were playing rough hacking down Spain's players.

He cost Netherlands the World Cup? He was f***ing lenient on them all game, if it'd been a European or South American ref they'd've only had seven players by the hour mark. As much as I was rooting for the underdog, Netherlands went into that game with one plan, to kick chunks out of Spain and hope they got a chance to take. It was one of the best refereeing performances I've seen, keeping a lid on the mayhem the dutch were creating.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

That is hilarious ... you should take up a sport you can watch and understand.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern

Unbelieveable. That was terrible wasn't it? Not giving a corner?

Holland should have been playing with 9 men at half time. If they'd won the World Cup playing like that then Webb REALLY would have had something to answer to.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
He cost Netherlands the World Cup? He was f***ing lenient on them all game, if it'd been a European or South American ref they'd've only had seven players by the hour mark. As much as I was rooting for the underdog, Netherlands went into that game with one plan, to kick chunks out of Spain and hope they got a chance to take. It was one of the best refereeing performances I've seen, keeping a lid on the mayhem the dutch were creating.

I agree with the first bit of your post, but best refereeing performance? I wrote my post before I saw the subsequent replies, but, if Holland had won because Webb hadn't had the balls to send players off when he should have, I doubt he'd be getting any praise then. Dutchman Johan Cruyff said, and I agree, that Webb had no right to 'interpret' the rules as he saw fit just because it was a WC final. He should have just applied them. Which would have meant 2 red cards before half time.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I agree with the first bit of your post, but best refereeing performance? I wrote my post before I saw the subsequent replies, but, if Holland had won because Webb hadn't had the balls to send players off when he should have, I doubt he'd be getting any praise then. Dutchman Johan Cruyff said, and I agree, that Webb had no right to 'interpret' the rules as he saw fit just because it was a WC final. He should have just applied them. Which would have meant 2 red cards before half time.

I think he did the right thing, except the De Jong karate kick, no excuse other than that maybe he didn't properly see it, I can't remember the angle he was at or anything. But if Holland had been down to 9 men at half time as they might perhaps had been had that been a group game, it would've descended into an absolute bloodbath. Can you imagine how much extra bite the already over-the-top challenges would have had with the sense of indignation at reds being shown early in the game? I agree with you in that he was perhaps too lenient, but my point was more that he was at least consistent from minute 1 to 120. If he'd thrown cards about as deserved as per the letter of the law, the game would've been abandoned, as Spain were getting increasingly pissed off themselves and not exactly shirking the 50/50s. What a farce that would've been. Maybe I didn't word it right - perhaps the most composed, or balanced, or bravest performance I've seen by a ref.

I think mostly I'm just bored of the 'Fergie's got the refs in his pocket' argument spermed out left right and centre. He does it no more than Wenger, Mourinho or any top boss. It's no skin off our nose as fans of a team unlikely to meet his side unless in the cup, I don't get why people are so het up over him. Wenger's an infinitely more whiny, bitching, petulant, lying, snivelling, deviant little creature than Fergie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here