Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ferdi Kadioglu **Singed 27/08/24**

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But that’s the point - we had an owner that bankrolled us himself. We were incredibly fortunate to have someone to do that with his ‘own’ money

I think you're missing the point. Yes I completely agree that we're lucky our owner is a fan, and it's his money not some investment group. But our success is not simply because we've spent more money than the teams below us. We haven't. When we got promotion from the Championship, we weren't one of the top few spenders.

And when we got to 6th, we weren't among the top 10 spenders. Our squad was relatively cheap.

Yes we love that Bloom is a local fan, but the real credit is how he's built an impressive squad while spending less than the opposition, using his data driven model to bring in people like Gross for £3m. I seem to remember us battering Everton 4-1 away, and our entire team cost the same as just one of their players.

That's what Jordan doesn't give us credit for. I've listened to his co-host praise Brighton's method and success, and him interject and say it's simply that we've spent £400m and we've simply bought the success. That's incorrect/disingenuous.

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
I think you're missing the point. Yes I completely agree that we're lucky our owner is a fan, and it's his money not some investment group. But our success is not simply because we've spent more money than the teams below us. We haven't. When we got promotion from the Championship, we weren't one of the top few spenders.

And when we got to 6th, we weren't among the top 10 spenders. Our squad was relatively cheap.

Yes we love that Bloom is a local fan, but the real credit is how he's built an impressive squad while spending less than the opposition, using his data driven model to bring in people like Gross for £3m. I seem to remember us battering Everton 4-1 away, and our entire team cost the same as just one of their players.

That's what Jordan doesn't give us credit for. I've listened to his co-host praise Brighton's method and success, and him interject and say it's simply that we've spent £400m and we've simply bought the success. That's incorrect/disingenuous.
Agreed. The fact that we were the only PL club to show a trading profit last year is another illustration that the progress we’ve made on the pitch isn’t down to being bankrolled by a wealthy backer. We’ve bought low, developed, then sold high and reinvested. That’s the key to our playing success.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I love the word 'disingenuous'. Such a post millennial word. Isn't it a cuddly way of calling someone a liar ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What is happening this window at the Albion is revolutionary, and yet it is completely going under the radar.

It has taken us several seasons to amass a sufficiently sized war chest to bring in the raft of players we have, I don't think we've seen anyone outside of the big established clubs do anything like this before.

Ferdi is a crucial player because he has genuine pace and we lack that in defence.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I love the word 'disingenuous'. Such a post millennial word. Isn't it a cuddly way of calling someone a liar ?
No.

"not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does".

I think your comment was a little disingenuous. :wink:

Shaktarman

Sep 19, 2022
This one in and it’s done with no need for deadline day drama. Maybe the PSV bloke but that seems to have gone quiet and isn’t a necessity. Just got to find some decent loans to get some wages off the books and development time for some - the odd sale too but nobody really important…

Amazing window it seems.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I don't think we've seen anyone outside of the big established clubs do anything like this before.
I think quite a few teams have spent vast sums of money before. Villa recently (unless you are calling them a big established club), Forest werent far off when they got promoted, and Blackburn the best example when they won the league by buying far bigger stars than we have this season.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Hopefully get this one tied up today or tomorrow. If we're completely done early this week, do we all have to head up to stand behind Sky's deadline day reporter with pyjamas and duvets, playing lullabies and offering them mugs of Horlicks?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here