Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ferdi Kadioglu **Singed 27/08/24**

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The Turkish journo leading on the Ferdi story is sharing the Barco news this morning presumably because its a sign that his reporting on Kadioglu is correct. "Fabian Hürzeler approved the departure of left-back Valentin Barco from the team and asked for the incoming offers to be evaluated."

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If, as some have been suggesting, Kadioglu is being signed as first choice left back and not as a right back, then to be honest I'm not massively fussed about the signing. Would much rather we signed someone we felt was a natural right back, and then played Barco/Estupinan at left back.
Kadioglu is a right back and a left back.

It is mostly only last season which skews his RB:LB appearance ratio towards LB.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Are you arguing for Ferdi to be right back as he's right-footed?
Not really as I don’t know enough about the player.

I just think there are very very few examples in football history of full backs preferring to play on the side where their weaker foot is.

So if every football manager (apart from Mickey Adams and I’m sure I could come up with a few more, if I really applied thought to it, but it really would still be a tiny minority) in history has put full backs on their natural side when they have a choice, it stands to reason that there are strong advantages to doing so.

To me it comes back to, I’m hesitant about signing someone for this money in a “utility player, we’ll work it all out when we see who is here” kind of way. I’m sure the player feels the same.

I’d like the club to have a definite idea of which side he is going to play. And I’m confident that way do. I just don’t know where that is

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Not really as I don’t know enough about the player.

I just think there are very very few examples in football history of full backs preferring to play on the side where their weaker foot is.

So if every football manager (apart from Mickey Adams and I’m sure I could come up with a few more, if I really applied thought to it, but it really would still be a tiny minority) in history has put full backs on their natural side when they have a choice, it stands to reason that there are strong advantages to doing so.

To me it comes back to, I’m hesitant about signing someone for this money in a “utility player, we’ll work it all out when we see who is here” kind of way. I’m sure the player feels the same.

I’d like the club to have a definite idea of which side he is going to play. And I’m confident that way do. I just don’t know where that is

Inverted wing backs are becoming more common.

Just because something hasn't been done historically doesn't mean its right or wrong. Before Ronaldinho, inverted wingers had been uncommon for a very long time, yet today nearly every team wants someone who goes on the inside rather than someone licking the sideline putting crosses into the area.

The advantage of inverted full/wing backs is that they operate as additional central midfielders when you have the ball. You give up on something and gain something else.

Most times football tactics are symmetric on paper and asymmetric in reality. The concept of inverted wing backs is a new and interesting tool that many young managers are interested in. Might not be suitable for every game or situation but there are times when it works well. A right winger is pretty much never ever going to pick up and follow the run of a left back doing a marauding run through the centre of the pitch.

He's better at RB but there will be days when we'll see him on LB.

Super Sub

Aug 13, 2016
Paul Watson.
Few more rather decent players too in Poalo Maldini and Dennis Irwin
Inverted wing backs are becoming more common.

Just because something hasn't been done historically doesn't mean its right or wrong. Before Ronaldinho, inverted wingers had been uncommon for a very long time, yet today nearly every team wants someone who goes on the inside rather than someone licking the sideline putting crosses into the area.

The advantage of inverted full/wing backs is that they operate as additional central midfielders when you have the ball. You give up on something and gain something else.

Most times football tactics are symmetric on paper and asymmetric in reality. The concept of inverted wing backs is a new and interesting tool that many young managers are interested in. Might not be suitable for every game or situation but there are times when it works well. A right winger is pretty much never ever going to pick up and follow the run of a left back doing a marauding run through the centre of the pitch.

He's better at RB but there will be days when we'll see him on LB.
Agreed. There have already been some major players doing a more than decent job as inverted fullbacks... Maldini and Irwin spring to mind immediately

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Joao Cancelo is a right-footed fullback who's played at least half of his career at LB/LWB - he even changes game-to-game throughout the season. I'd be happy with him in on loan...

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Does his wag compare to Ferdi's?
You decide...

daniela-machado-Joao-cancelo-manchester-city.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here