Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ferdi Kadioglu **Singed 27/08/24**

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I wonder what they’ll get for Casimero, he was 30 million two seasons ago wasn’t he? Big wages too, could be (hopefully will be) problematic offloading him.

McThug should be easy to move on as long as he wants to be
McTominay (as with everyone at ManU) will be on wages out of the reach of a lot of clubs too, so it'll keep a lid on the fee they get for him.

Casemiro is Saudi-bound, SURELY? No club in their right mind would splurge on the wages required (assuming he won't take a cut - why would he when he has 2 years left on his contract?*)

*I think it's 2 years anyway

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
McTominay (as with everyone at ManU) will be on wages out of the reach of a lot of clubs too, so it'll keep a lid on the fee they get for him.

Casemiro is Saudi-bound, SURELY? No club in their right mind would splurge on the wages required (assuming he won't take a cut - why would he when he has 2 years left on his contract?*)

*I think it's 2 years anyway
Fulham want McTominay AFAIK

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If we do sign him, huge pressure on the new manager to get European football IMO

Cant see it. Supporters and owner realistic in that (depressingly) its highly unlikely we will finish above

City
Arsenal
Liverpool
Villa
Newcastle
Chelsea
United
Spurs

So thats a best of 9th and I expect West Ham , Palace + Fulham have some ideas on that place.

Possible of course that some of those teams have shockers and the fact all thos sides are so strong should mean everyone taking points off each other.

Our best chance of Europe is to win a trophy and even then you need to avoid City minimum to do it.

Owners and fans would take 10th and exciting football in a heart beat

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Cant see it. Supporters and owner realistic in that (depressingly) its highly unlikely we will finish above

City
Arsenal
Liverpool
Villa
Newcastle
Chelsea
United
Spurs

So thats a best of 9th and I expect West Ham , Palace + Fulham have some ideas on that place.

Possible of course that some of those teams have shockers and the fact all thos sides are so strong should mean everyone taking points off each other.

Our best chance of Europe is to win a trophy and even then you need to avoid City minimum to do it.

Thing is, football doesn't work like that. Absolutely no way will those 8 clubs all finish in the top 8. At least one or two of them will have a surprisingly crap season, and one or two outsider teams will take those spots. It happens every single season.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If we do sign him, huge pressure on the new manager to get European football IMO
I hope not. It's a young and inexperienced squad managed by a coach who will need time to find his feet in the EPL. The competitition for the top places is going to be extreme. I'm just hoping for some spectacular goals / wins when things come off, but expecting some deflating reverses when we over-commit. All good, that's Brighton. A high league finish would be nice, but this squad seems to be being built with the view to a consolidated future, not for immediate reward.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Thing is, football doesn't work like that. Absolutely no way will those 8 clubs all finish in the top 8. At least one or two of them will have a surprisingly crap season, and one or two outsider teams will take those spots. It happens every single season.
Football could turn into working like that if the investment and wages of the top 8 are on a different dimension to everyone elses. Over time, this would result in the top 8 being the top 8 the vast majority of seasons.

We saw increased "layering" last season and imho there's a chance the league will basically be divided into three internal divisions, with plenty of daylight between them.

The top 8
Us, Palace, Brentford, Wolves, Fulham etc
The bottom 5 (Leicester, Everton, Ipswich, Nottingham, and the last shite team I'm forgetting right now)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Football could turn into working like that if the investment and wages of the top 8 are on a different dimension to everyone elses. Over time, this would result in the top 8 being the top 8 the vast majority of seasons.

We saw increased "layering" last season and imho there's a chance the league will basically be divided into three internal divisions, with plenty of daylight between them.

The top 8
The bottom 5 (Leicester, Everton, Ipswich, Nottingham, and the last shite team I'm forgetting right now)
At the moment they can't be. PSR is keeping things fairly level. Liverpool haven't bought, Newcastle had to sell Minteh to us, Man City are short odds for relegation because of their legal troubles.

PSR may not last. Some big names don't like it. Martin Samuels has basically taken the Saudi line lock, stock and barrel and wants Newcastle to be able to spend whatever they like 'because they can'. Todd will be making similar noises at Chelsea. Man City are taking the legal fight to the Premier League, on the front foot as ever.

Bloom, shrewd operator that he is, has seen this window as the one where we have cash from previous deals and headroom from previous deals and got in there with some decent players, while other big clubs can't spend without PSR issues.

Part of the reason for my reply to @Napper would be that he will want to see return on the investment. We may end up with sides freed of PSR spending untold billions in the future. Our additional revenue would have to come from Europe, as would our attractiveness to good young players.

EDIT - TL;DR? This is the window where we'll outspend a few big clubs and Bloom will want to see that come to something.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Bloom's ambitions will be bigger than that.
Not really that easy either is it. "League position" depends on a lot of things that has nothing to do with us. "Number of points" is a more relevant way of thinking.

35 pts (terrible) could be enough for 15th place (bad, but not terrible). 60 points (great) might not take us higher than 10th (ok).

Think Tony would be pleased with 55 points (7 pts better than last season). Less than that is probably below expectations.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Not really that easy either is it. "League position" depends on a lot of things that has nothing to do with us. "Number of points" is a more relevant way of thinking.

35 pts (terrible) could be enough for 15th place (bad, but not terrible). 60 points (great) might not take us higher than 10th (ok).

Think Tony would be pleased with 55 points (7 pts better than last season). Less than that is probably below expectations.
I think he'll have specific targets around European qualification.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
At the moment they can't be. PSR is keeping things fairly level. Liverpool haven't bought, Newcastle had to sell Minteh to us, Man City are short odds for relegation because of their legal troubles.

PSR may not last. Some big names don't like it. Martin Samuels has basically taken the Saudi line lock, stock and barrel and wants Newcastle to be able to spend whatever they like 'because they can'. Todd will be making similar noises at Chelsea. Man City are taking the legal fight to the Premier League, on the front foot as ever.

Bloom, shrewd operator that he is, has seen this window as the one where we have cash from previous deals and headroom from previous deals and got in there with some decent players, while other big clubs can't spend without PSR issues.

Part of the reason for my reply to @Napper would be that he will want to see return on the investment. We may end up with sides freed of PSR spending untold billions in the future. Our additional revenue would have to come from Europe, as would our attractiveness to good young players.

EDIT - TL;DR? This is the window where we'll outspend a few big clubs and Bloom will want to see that come to something.
Problem is that given the chaos surrounding a lot of the top 8 clubs, they might actually be better off developing what they have rather than buying a bunch of overpriced junk.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Problem is that given the chaos surrounding a lot of the top 8 clubs, they might actually be better off developing what they have rather than buying a bunch of overpriced junk.
Of course. Youth development is high up on everyone's priorities and the big clubs have the name and the facilities to attract decent youngsters from the start. However, it's a big gamble (we're good at it but have bought more young first teamers than we've pulled in from the academy) and some of the 8 are better than others at it.

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024

City
Arsenal
Liverpool
Villa
Newcastle
Chelsea
United
Spurs

I think Villa will be well out of it this year because of CL football, and Spurs, Chelsea, Man Utd all have Thursday night matches which can be chaotic for fixtures and injuries, as we know. So I’m more optimistic. I think we can finish in the top third of the table and grab some sort of European place.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

The top 8
It has already to a certain extent. But I there are still always anomalies. It doesn't matter how many billions you throw at it, it doesn't always work.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
It has already to a certain extent. But I there are still always anomalies. It doesn't matter how many billions you throw at it, it doesn't always work.
Of course. And I'm not ruling out European football, but more likely not to happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here