Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Female pundits

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I think they are very good and as a few have mentioned (or womentioned) Eni Aluko is vvg. She also has tactical nous that comes over far better than the likes of Lawro or some of the other MOTD so called experts. Unnecessary post IMHO.

TNBA

TTF

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Seems that a lot of people don't much like the idea of women having a voice. In a way it's good to hear the sort of views coming out above, reminds me that it's too easy to think things are OK and equal now, when the views above reveal they're really not.

I'm in favour of anyone having a voice if that voice adds anything to my enjoyment or understanding of an event. Eni Aluko and Emma Hayes are both excellent pundits, Alex Scott not so much. Hayes also gives the lie to the accusation that women pundits are only employed for their looks.

Controversial? I've only just started. I also thought Alan Pardew was very good on Amazon last night.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You complain about prejudice by introducing a completely new and irrational one.

I’m six foot four, but deriding men for being short and using it as a lazy shorthand for being a loser is downright obnoxious in my opinion.

I’m not suggesting they’re losers. I said failing to get noticed. If you’re short this is a fact. How many times have you heard someone talk, you look around and can’t see anyone .....”oh, it’s you down there”

Just saying.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Female here. I was also impressed by the Amazon presenters. They knew their stuff and did not try to bully anyone who disagreed. Tone of voice is also really important, and I prefer calm with gravitas rather than hyper.

Absolutely this. In particular the hyper nature of many male presenters and pundits.

Jeff and the boys on sky are just caricatures of football nonsense. you don’t get any real analysis, just descriptions or cliches. About the most tactical thing you hear is usually something about a press or an overload.

I for one welcome more balance on panels and as for feeling like it’s a matriarchy...come on...really? I bet the total amount of female presenters and pundits is no higher than 20% if that (calling all stattos!).

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Bloody irritated me, having those two women in the studio post match. It's not that they were awful, but it's a man's game (the one they had been watching) and we want opinions and feedback from people who have experience of the men's version of the game. It's so bloody obvious that they're just there because someone thought "we need a woman or two to satisfy the lefties". Pathetic.

Not a leftie or pathetic here straight down the middle on most things.

You sir, with respect, are very very wrong!

Men can have valuable opinions and insights on women’s sport and women on men’s.

I know several women who are far more knowledgeable about football than most pundits.

My wife watched all the post match with me tonight as there were people talking she could relate to. Isn’t that pathetic!

Men’s football is not a mans game. It’s a game played by men.

And in your case watched by a dinosaur.

(Said lightheartedly)

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
I had no problem with last night's panel - I think they were smart and fair.

What really grates with me is people who get commentator jobs on R5L who have got dreadful radio voices.

Not a sexist thing, I've no beef with women commentators if they have listenable to tonality, but there is one who I won't name, she is so shrill and shrieky that it pains me to listen - also a mockney, which irritates me.

Some way back BBC forgot that they were running radio stations, the social engineering got higher up the agenda.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Confirmed 5'9 - 5'10. Real 5'11s claim 6.

Ok, I'll level with you.... I am 5' 10 1/2" but claiming 5'11" on rounding up. I would not claim 1 1/2 inches, honest !

Dunk&Disorderly

Mar 29, 2019
Brighton
Perhaps, if you're getting riled at having to listen to a woman talk about football, you should look introspectively about why it's enraging you so much. There are so many more things to be negative about that might actually be worth the energy.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Not a leftie or pathetic here straight down the middle on most things.

You sir, with respect, are very very wrong!

Men can have valuable opinions and insights on women’s sport and women on men’s.

I know several women who are far more knowledgeable about football than most pundits.

My wife watched all the post match with me tonight as there were people talking she could relate to. Isn’t that pathetic!

Men’s football is not a mans game. It’s a game played by men.

And in your case watched by a dinosaur.

(Said lightheartedly)

But why were the women in the studio? Just because it's now the thing to do. No other reason. Personally I want to listen to men talking about and commentating on men's football. And I know many women who agree with me. Similarly the women's game should be the preserve of female commentators. What exactly is wrong with that?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I'm in favour of anyone having a voice if that voice adds anything to my enjoyment or understanding of an event. Eni Aluko and Emma Hayes are both excellent pundits, Alex Scott not so much. Hayes also gives the lie to the accusation that women pundits are only employed for their looks.

Controversial? I've only just started. I also thought Alan Pardew was very good on Amazon last night.

Yeh but just like Ricky Gervais, you can't see him even now, without thinking.....

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A lot of female pundits are chosen because they look good on TV rather than their actual knowledge meaning I agree with OP in a lot of cases. Its not really the female species fault though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hayes also gives the lie to the accusation that women pundits are only employed for their looks.

A lot of female pundits are chosen because they look good on TV rather than their actual knowledge.

(sigh) There's always one ...

I didn't hear the pundits last night but if Aluko was one of them, I'm not surprised that the discussion was excellent. She's very, very good - I think she's one of the best post-match experts (male or female) that I've heard in the last year or so.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Bloody irritated me, having those two women in the studio post match. It's not that they were awful, but it's a man's game (the one they had been watching) and we want opinions and feedback from people who have experience of the men's version of the game. It's so bloody obvious that they're just there because someone thought "we need a woman or two to satisfy the lefties". Pathetic.

Couldn't disagree more. I thought overall last night on our match the level of punditry was good. The presenter was fine and Eni Aluko had a lot to say that was worthwhile.

It wasn't just an "Arsenal were not very good and what do they need to do" discussion. They were very fair in saying that we were very good. We did everything Arsenal didn't.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thought Aluko was excellent last night - picked on some nuances other pundits might not have done and didn't resort to endless cliches. Better than Scott, and better than a lot of her male counterparts.

Dixon was full of praise and changed the discussion at one point when it became a bit too 'Arsenal' to focus on how good we were

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
But why were the women in the studio? Just because it's now the thing to do. No other reason. Personally I want to listen to men talking about and commentating on men's football. And I know many women who agree with me. Similarly the women's game should be the preserve of female commentators. What exactly is wrong with that?

Whats wrong for me (and I respect you are entitled to your opinion) is that you appear to believe that as a 'man's game' the male audience should be the only concern. When I think about it, I'm pretty sure I have seen women at the 'men's' football as well.

My wife loves football, but never watches the punditry because its generally macho b*****s, delivered by blokes who couldn't cut it as managers or coaches but think they know best.

Therefore, could it not just be that the female audience and those of us who want balanced opinion are being better catered for?

Also, is nonsense to suggest that you need to have played elite mens football in order to be able to comment.

Just my opinion of course :)

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

My wife loves football - but hates the shift over to so many women commentators / pundits....for exactly the reason above.
In her words, its all about "TV chiefs being pushed into being PC, & nothing to do with these womens supposed knowledge".
She just sees it all as "forced", & a big PR stunt that TV companies are scared not to be part of now, in case they offend someone.

Our American cousins have used female sideline reporters for years on their sports coverage, and no one bats an eye lid...inc. my missus. If we had adopted their way of presenting football years ago, instead of suddenly realizing we were living in the past, this debate wouldn't even exist.

:shrug:

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
(sigh) There's always one ...

I didn't hear the pundits last night but if Aluko was one of them, I'm not surprised that the discussion was excellent. She's very, very good - I think she's one of the best post-match experts (male or female) that I've heard in the last year or so.

Yeah there's always one because its the ****ing truth how politically correct it may not be. If the people hiring pundits dont give a shit about the looks of their female , well then where the **** are the 60+ women?

You are right, there is always one person saying "TV bosses hire some women based on looks", and then there is a ****load of you people saying "nah thats imorally correct so it doesnt exist on planet earth and definitely not in the glorious bastion of morale called Big ****ing Media Corporations".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here