Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Female commentators

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Jackie Oakley (Oatley?) is about to become the BBC's first ever female commentator for football on TV.

Now maybe I'm a sexist git, but I think she's bloody awful. The excitement just isn't suited to a high pitch voice IMO ...

As is often the case in TV/radio, this is actually reverse sexism at work i.e. a woman who's not as good as equivalent male counterparts getting a job to be politically correct.

Waits to be flamed...

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
trueblue said:
Jackie Oakley (Oatley?) is about to become the BBC's first ever female commentator for football on TV.

Now maybe I'm a sexist git, but I think she's bloody awful. The excitement just isn't suited to a high pitch voice IMO ...

As is often the case in TV/radio, this is actually reverse sexism at work i.e. a woman who's not as good as equivalent male counterparts getting a job to be politically correct.

Waits to be flamed...

Whatever next? Men commentating on synchronised swimming! dear Jesus, It's bad enough that we have to let them into the match without having to listen to their idiot burblings as well!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
You and Dave Bassett the football dinosaur agree, I say give her a chance. I've heard her on BBC 5 Live and she's ok and she can't be any worse than any of the cliche ridden commentators on ITV like Clive Tyldesley.

I've tried to listen to her commentaries on 5 Live and the issue is the shrillness of her voice when she has to try and commentate over the noise of the crowd. Too much of the contrived ecxitement style of Tony Gubba in her ccommentary for my taste

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Storer68 said:
I've tried to listen to her commentaries on 5 Live and the issue is the shrillness of her voice when she has to try and commentate over the noise of the crowd. Too much of the contrived ecxitement style of Tony Gubba in her ccommentary for my taste

Absolutely!

The best commentators have good voices. Even the most knowledgeable people with a weak voice grate on the viewers/listeners.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Silent Bob said:
Are there ANY good commentators on TV?? ???

Oh.. and I quite like Guy Mowbray, Simon Brotherton and Steve Wilson.. who keep it simple most of the time. John Murray's very listenable on the radio too.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The best female sports presenters were on the defunct Live TVs' Topless Darts series. Tops.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Don't remember any female sports presenters on Live TV, but I do recall Tiffany Bannister and her BIG CITY TIPS. Oh, and "Britains Bounciest Weather", with a dwarf on a trampoline.

God I miss that channel.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Gd help us when England are playing then when she says

''Come on get a goal'' schreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I dunno.. it could be good. If it's a really boring game she could talk all sexy like.

:)

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
jacqui_oatley.jpg

Well, she's no Alan Green anyway...

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here