Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fear of Flying ... Hypno or Course?

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
i dont get it people being scared of flying, had one when i was coming back from barca recently........i had to laugh at her when she spewed up everywhere!!

mind you, i dont like spiders.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Since when did being hypnotised spare you in a crash?

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I have a fear of spiders, planes i thought i could handle. Been on many in my time, I flew home from my stag do in spain a few years ago, after getting wankered every night to the point of my whole body shaking at the airport I decided I should not touch another drink on the way home. On the flight, we flew above a thunderstorm and all of a sudden the plane dropped horrifically. My in flight snack hit the ceiling and where my friends were all laughing and being drunk, I SHIT myself. It was the last flight I ever went on...

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
it's not the flying i'm scared of; it's the falling 30k feet to my death that gives me the jeepers :lolol:

anyway, some interesting responses here, cheers.

Aircraft don't just fall out of the sky, and even if it did somhow lose its wings or tail which is 1 in millions, you would be unconcious long before you hit anything.

Is it a fear of flying or either anxiety of not being in control or even a fear of death?

as before PM, if you genuinely want to try and resolve it. When people understand more, in general they fear less

JCL

Better, Stronger, Faster
Jul 2, 2011
East of Eastbourne
see a qualified hypnotherapist. (Not a hypnotist - unless you want to act like a chicken on stage..)

One session should do the trick. :)

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
you dont need either, how about just growing a pair, and get on with it.

the way i look at it is, if the fucker crashes your going to die, wearing a life jacket is not going to save you from hitting a mountain. Or if you do manage to land in water you will probably freeze to death in a slow painful way.

so just accept flying as being a normal safe mode of transport or get the train...

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
I had hypnotherapy but that was trash. The fear of flying book by Keith godfrey as already mentioned (buy on amazon) is great. Still best way is some Diazepam from the gp and some beer! Also the desire to leave these wet miserable summers behind for something warmer. Never minded flying when I was younger but got worse as I got older.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I have a big fear of flying, or at least I thought I did,
Have tried hypno but no luck, still the fear remains, must have done over 50 flights and only ever gets worse.
Reason I say thought I did is my other fear is being anaesthetised in hospital.
What I've come to realise that it's not being in control that's the real fear, not being able to do anything if something bad happens on a plane and not being able to fight back against the anaesthetic.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
I really like flying meself. That said, I do have a fear of the 'plane I'm on crashing...

I do a lot more flying these days than I used to. I have no fear of flying, I just find it tedious now that the novelty has worn off. The hanging around airports, the sitting bored on planes with nothing to do. It's probably because most of the flying I do is 4-5 hour flights. Not short enough to be quick short haul, but not long enough to get the entertainment systems you get on long haul flights.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
I do a lot more flying these days than I used to. I have no fear of flying, I just find it tedious now that the novelty has worn off. The hanging around airports, the sitting bored on planes with nothing to do. It's probably because most of the flying I do is 4-5 hour flights. Not short enough to be quick short haul, but not long enough to get the entertainment systems you get on long haul flights.
I used to take a portable DVD player on those flights. Now I just watch something on the laptop. Must get an ipad.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
My laptop's too big to open up properly in most of the seats. Because I have a (not totally irrational) hatred of all things Apple, I'm looking at getting one of the new Samsung tablets. They're similar to an iPad but use the Android OS, which is, in my opinion far superior. It's also open source, meaning a lot more apps end up being available for it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I don't hate flying, I hate turberlance - it's irrational I know, its far bumpier driving to the airport in the car than it usually is in a plane - I think its the fact that I have no control over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here