Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Sportsman ever?

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
Bjorn Borg....who took the game of tennis and shook it to its core. Who won 5 straight Wimbledons and 6 French titles ( the hardest ' double ' of all - grass and clay ) The youngest ever seed at Wimbledon, who made the talented and charismatic Nastase look ordinary as he beat him in straight sets in the 76' final. Who played one of the greatest games of tennis ever seen, beating Vitas Geraulitis in 5 sets in the 1977 semi-final and who survived the incredible tie-break loss to McEnroe in 1980 and still had the strength to hang on and take the final set 8-6.
Who attracted a legion of new fans ( mainly girls ) -Wimbledon had never seen screaming like it!
Who, never audibly, questioned a line call or decision..he just walked back to the baseline, with those slightly hunched shoulders and started again.
The only player in the career of John McEnroe to earn the full and undivided respect of the temperemental American.
Who walked away from the game at the age of 26, after losing the 1981 Wimbledon final to McEnroe...perhaps, like all great sportsmen who have the guts to go out at the top, he knew that a new pretender was about to take his throne.
Borg is singularly responsible for moving the game of tennis from a rather stuffy middle-class preserve to a much wider audience..he ( unwittingly ) threw off the shackles of convention with his shaggy mop and headband and with his tennis genius,backed with never say die attitude, was irresistible viewing for the 6-7 years he was at the top of his game.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I'm going to cheat and name two ....

Sir Bobby Charlton

and

Our Lord Gareth Edwards, the greatest ever Rugby player to grace God's earth

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
MGP.jpg

In a word; GAMST. :bowdown:

How random, can I ask why?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Eddie the Eagle (im Serious) this man probably sold more pairs of skis to a nation of people who basicly are shyte at skiing than a cows got tit,for 2 weeks the world was glued to thier TV just waiting for him to die,yes die,there isnt any other reason i have ever watched the winter olympics other than when this guy was throwing himself of a sheer drop at 90mph a 150 ft up in the air,it was kinda like watching a guy play russian roulette with 5 bullets in the chambers,and he still didnt manage to shoot himself,Bloody marvellous lol so hats off to Eddie im probably going to be your only vote but to me your a star! a right fooking mental one but a star none the less.:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here