Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite loan player we've had at Withdean...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We've had some crackers, could easily put together a loan XI that would be fairly tasty

Roberts

Painter
Keown
McShane
Ingmarsson

Wilson
KLL
Gotsmanov
Sidwell

Ward
Zamora

Gotsmanov wasn't on loan - he was a short-term contract player. Was Wilson on loan too - I thought we signed him?

We have signed some decent players on loan over the years: no-one's mentioned Moulden and Cotterill yet, they were a decent strike force and Dickov was awesome for us.

Best at Withdean (after Zamora) though has to be Sidwell - he looked a class above when he was here.

What I liked about Robbie Savage was that his style of play was so out of line with the style of the rest of the squad, it was almost as if he was being used to demonstrate that alternative ways of playing were available. If he was in the squad today, he'd fit in well. At the time, he just stood out as an oddity.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
What I liked about Robbie Savage was that his style of play was so out of line with the style of the rest of the squad, it was almost as if he was being used to demonstrate that alternative ways of playing were available. If he was in the squad today, he'd fit in well. At the time, he just stood out as an oddity.

Have to agree with that. He would pass the ball into space and no one would pick up on it. Now they players would have a field day.

Best loan at Withers for me would be Calvin Andrew. Totally FEARLESS. Maybe La Rouge as well. Then again Benjamin was ok and Junior Lewis.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I never really understood why people liked Rougier. He came across as DESPERATE for a contract, which would have been fine if he wasn't absolutely SHIT.

My faves in no particular order: Keown, KLL, Sidwell, McShane

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Rami Shabaan?
Scott Flinders?
David Yedell?
Mikkel Andersen?
Alan Blayney?
Florent Cheaneu?

We have had some *ahem* QUALITY loan 'keepers at Withers.

ChapManiA

Banned
Oct 25, 2004
Burgess Hill, West-Sussex
Bradley Johnson :bowdown:
0,,10433~4327489,00.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We've had some crackers, could easily put together a loan XI that would be fairly tasty

Roberts

Painter
Keown
McShane
Ingmarsson

Wilson
KLL
Gotsmanov
Sidwell

Ward
Zamora

Poor effort.

Alternative Loan XI:

Flinders
Bakayoko
Dolan
Lowe
Hoyte

John
Neale
Ward
Stokes

Williams
Henderson

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Poor effort.

Alternative Loan XI:

Flinders
Bakayoko
Dolan
Lowe
Hoyte

John
Neale
Ward
Stokes

Williams
Henderson
How the f*** have you missed Michael Mahoney-Johnson? The poorest "striker" I have ever seen, he didn't even want to come. And when he played Donny Rovers, who were more or less a pub team at the time, it was obvious he would struggle to make the REMF team, let alone a shithouse Albion XI.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I must have missed Keown playing at WITHDEAN

See where you're coming from, but prefer the discussion around ALL loanees - otherwise it's a bit like nob-head Prem supporters going on as if they think football was only invented when the Premiership was formed! The Albion were artound long before Withdean........

Looking at out-and-our loanees (ie ones we didn't / couldn't sign permanently later, Paul Dickov was pretty handy - and if only we could have hung on to Martin Keown!

I don't know if these were loanees or short term contracts (someone will probably tell me!), but either way we didn't manage to hang on to them, unfortunately - Colin Pates and Chris Iwelumo

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I just presumed people were referring to Nicky Ward...

I don't think so looking at that team!

I must admit I didn't have a fecking clue who Nick Ward was till I Wickied him - still don't really remember and would've seen him play a few games judging by the year!!!

BASINGSTOKESEAGULL

Jul 26, 2010
Tony Stokes, terrible! joe o cearuill hasn't been mentioned I don't think. One of the best I think I saw was George O Callaghan, class player when here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here