Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite game at the AMEX last season

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think if he had scored with his chance bout 10 mins prior to that when we were long balling it to him we would have gone on to win, Burnley were that poor!

Ironically, I would say the last half hour against Burnley with only 9 men was about the only time all season we played to the strengths of CMS and it almost paid off.

There aren't any new games I can add so obviously Donny, Leeds, Burnley, Newcastle and Southampton are all up there. However, I think I have to go for Derby because we played some amazing football that night and I remember watching in awe as Vicente and LuaLua tore them apart constantly. If we can keep Vicente and bring in some better players, hopefully we will see more games like that this season.

Blackcap

Nov 6, 2011
Shoreham by Sea
Should have done a poll!
Toss up between Leeds & Donny for me, but Southampton, Portsmouth, Newcastle, Sunderland, Burnley, Ipswich all stick out in my mind as great games for varying reasons.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yep Doncaster, Leeds, Southampton and second half against Liverpool.....To be fair, everybody was just happy to be at the Amex finally, which largely overshadowed the fact there was a lot of very boring dull matches, well up until the last ten minutes anyway. I doubt people will be so patient this coming season.

they just might hav to b

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
they just might hav to b

I've always been of the school of thought that football is(or should be entertainment). You pay a lot of money to be entertained, one game I forgot about was the Reading game, even though we lost I remember walking out of the Amex and saying to my mates that that was total value for money, something that was all to often not the case last season even though we have some very exciting attacking talent in the side. Of course winning is important, very important. But we are never going to win the prem or the champions league, so lets entertain the fans and try an win in style and at the end of the day, if you come up short at least send the fans home knowing they have been entertained. Something that was all to often not the case last season, especially away from home, we were boring, dull and crap.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Doncaster for what it was but enjoyed the battering we gave Ipswich

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Donny first. One of the best days of my life! sad i know.

Saints, ipswich and Derby - all great. I am also kind of fond of the Portsmouth game. Dull as dishwater and then with 30 mins to go........a sub comes on.....

the rest is history!

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Donny, Saints then Derby. Took my old dad to the Amex for the first time and he got to see the Dagger torment Derby. I think that paid him back for taking me to the Goldstone for the first time in 1976.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I'm with the Commander on this.

Every time I went I loved it..................but Burnley was awesome.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Burnley first, awesome atmosphere then derby

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Well it is between Doncaster and Burnley. I can't decide because they were so different.

GrahamH65

May 19, 2009
Burnley without any doubt. Could hardly speak for three days afterwards from all the singing (no doubt a blessing for my family and work colleagues!!!).

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
I'm going with Burnley because despite the result it was a completely unforgettable day. The fact that so many fans remember a 0-1 loss as their favourite Amex game says it all!!

It almost makes a case for starting with 9 men!!

Southampton.

Not only did we f*ck them over big time with a team of development players but the sight of Harding having to be taken off before he was sent off was delightful revenge for Saints supplying their own officials at STM.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Doncaster was the best all round day, Leeds most entertaining but my favourite was probably Ipswich as the atmosphere was fantastic, helped by the banner :)

I'd agree with that – hope we get some more provocative banners next season: wound the crowd up A TREAT – and would add in ...

second half v Burnley for sheer backs against the wall crowd defiance
3-0 over Saints for delight in nobbling the leaders
Pompey game for the Vicente effect
+ our cup despatching of the north-east's finest

Ah, so many games, so many memories :)

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
Doncaster without a doubt.

Southampton was good because we needed that win. Leeds because all in all it was a cracking game. Leicester, Forest. Burnley for the atmosphere.

We were spoilt for good home games last season really. Hope it continues next season..

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Doncaster was the stuff of dreams.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
1. Donny (just because!).
2. Leeds (game), Burnley (occasion), Ipswich (atmos), Saints (performance).

The Burnley game was incredible but what irks the most about that was, for the opening five minutes we battered them and could've been 2-0 up. Buckley was turning their full-back inside out and it looked like we were going to hand out a long-overdue pasting to someone. And even at the end, CMS' volley that flashed wide and then having one cleared off the line, we could genuinely have won it. There would've been a riot if we'd got anything out of it, TB would've had to get his chequebook out and build another stadium after the dust had settled, cause we'd have blown the sodding roof off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here