Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Drum solo

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Big fan of great drummers but not necessarily solos. Favourites are Alan White of Yes, Phil Collins, Bill Bruford, John Bonham, Michael Giles.

Alan White is incredible on "The Gates of Delirium ". Giles is brilliant on the first two King Crimson albums. One my favourite things though is not a solo but a duo between Bill Bruford and Pat Mastelotto - "B'boom" on King Crimson's 1995 album, "Thrak".http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtTUxPPGp-c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Loath long solos by jazz drummers but love the exchange of short bursts of 8 or 16 bars with the frontmen.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Don't mind a decent drum solo but they do tend to drag on a bit. For example I saw John Bonham do a very long version of 'Moby Dick' with Led Zeppelin at Earls Court in '75. The rest of the band wandered off for a break and after a few mins many of the punters went for a pee and a beer or two and still had time to witness the last several minutes of the drum solo too. I seem to recall that Led Zep did the best part of a 3 hour set so the drum solo was a welcome interlude.

It was interesting to see Bonham's powerful tub thumping live, and expected him to be giving his kit a real spanking but in reality he only used light strokes so was particularly impressive. Having said that the PA system was mega and when they opened the show with him launching into 'Rock n'Roll' it felt like the building would collapse at any moment. I reckon the first half hour of that gig affected my hearing ever since.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here