Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Brighton goal of all time

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Its been said on here many a time on these threads but Gary Nelson away at Brentford,FA cup 1987.It always gets described but you really had to be there.
I was there and remember going mental on the terrace when he scored it - but I'll be buggered if I can remember any of it except the bit where he lashes it into the onion bag.

Whats the point of going to see live soccerball if you're going to forget the top notch action? :down:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Incidentally, Garry Nelson runs a golfing holiday firm in Essex now. I know this because I have a mate in the industry who had a job interview with SGN.

His opening gambit was "I've got a really good mate who is a Brighton fan and he considers you one of his all time heroes"

He didn't get the job. :(

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I remember that and think it was Port Vale.

Having just checked soccerbase I reckon it was this game...

www.soccerbase.com - The Internet Soccer Database

I would second that - they had to win to go up and I remember them bringing so many fans that we gave them the East Terrace home section as well?

Such a shame that it was a goal that didn't get us anything from the game.

sashnash

Seagull in East London
Feb 26, 2009
Can't remember who it was but it was at Goldstone and the oposition keeper had the ball rolled it out in front of himself and was waiting to boot it out, one of our players (had dread locks) had been sitting in the net and ran round him and slotted it in. My first Albion memory, it's been on question of sport a few times!

:J)

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Can't remember who it was but it was at Goldstone and the oposition keeper had the ball rolled it out in front of himself and was waiting to boot it out, one of our players (had dread locks) had been sitting in the net and ran round him and slotted it in. My first Albion memory, it's been on question of sport a few times!

George Parris :bowdown:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere

That would be Sneaky George Parris who was bald! Against Bristol Rovers perhaps?

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
In terms of what it meant for the club id have to say Virgo against Swindon aswell. Two goals of real quality that stand out are Stuart Munday at filbert street in 1994 and a goal dean wilkins scored at the goldstone in either 1994 or 1995. I cant recall the opoosition but colin pates floated a corner to wilkins on the edge of the 18 yard box and he volleyed it straight into the top corner much the same as what scholes and sheringham used to do. Does anyone recall this goal or the opposition??

As Chappers said, I think it was the port vale game at home. But that goal was direct from a free-kick, not from a corner. He put it straight into the top corner at the south stand end.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
Hawkins O.G. last season. PEACH of a goal. although it went into the back of our net i have never seen a better diving header. quality of the highest order :thumbsup:

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Probably one G Smith at Wembley to put us 1-0 up in the Cup Final. However, optimistic I get about the future, I don't really imagine we will ever be in that position again.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
So many of the goals mentioned evoke fantastic memories, either because they were technically excellent or emotionally significant. I put Zamora's against Halifax (H) and Bury (A) into the former category, Storer's into the latter and Wilkins against Ipswich into both (which it makes it a strong contender, but not the best for me).

For me though, my all time favourite, reflecting the sheer scale of the occasion, is Gordon Smith's against Man U in the Cup Final. To be watching my club at Wembley in the biggest club cup competition in The World and go 1-0 up was just fantastic and is still a goose-bump moment for me when I watch it on video 26 years later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here