Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Brighton area railway station ........

Glynde. It's local. It's got free parking. It hasn't got a ticket office or a ticket machine (or even a 'permit to travel' machine), so they let you on the trains for free. And it's got the Trevor Arms next door.

In Brighton itself, I'd go for the Peter Pan Playground station on the Volks Railway. Although there was nothing to beat London Road in the seventies, when it was still lit by gaslight. And yes, that was the NINETEEN-seventies.

I don't suppose anyone remembers Hartington Road halt?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Large One said:
There used to be a train station next to the railway bridge over Lewes Road, where Sainsbury's is now.

I was very sad when that viaduct was demolished; it seemed like a major part of Brighton was demolished.

Years after, I was confusing younger bus drivers by asking for a ticket to the Arches.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Its got to be Hove, the times U used to get off, have a few jars outside the station and off to the Goldstone!!

HOVE for me!!

:clap2:

D

Deleted User X18H

Lord Bracknell said:
Glynde. It's local. It's got free parking. It hasn't got a ticket office or a ticket machine (or even a 'permit to travel' machine), so they let you on the trains for free. And it's got the Trevor Arms next door.

In Brighton itself, I'd go for the Peter Pan Playground station on the Volks Railway. Although there was nothing to beat London Road in the seventies, when it was still lit by gaslight. And yes, that was the NINETEEN-seventies.

I don't suppose anyone remembers Hartington Road halt?
Hartington road Halt was that on the line out to Kemp Town do tell more

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Brighton station itself. It's a corker. Wish they'd sort out the old Victorian underpass bit down where the gents and the barbers used to be though.

BUT: when are the daft numpties of "Southern" going to sort out the clock on the roof? It's been GMT for the last three weeks and according to them I'm still getting there an hour early every morning. I realise station clocks are a bit of an obsession of mine - there's a kind of "if they can't get that right, what can they" aspect to it. Sort it out!

Let's have a sweep - I reckon it'll take another three weeks for them to sort it out.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
The Halt at Brighton & Hove Golf Club on the way up to the Dyke.

Seen the pics in the clubhouse.

hove born&bred said:
Hartington road Halt was that on the line out to Kemp Town do tell more

This is the railway at Hartington Road, after the station had been dismantled.

im_kemptn-5.jpg

The station opened in 1906 and closed in 1911.

Read all about the Kemp Town branch here (includes pictures of Lewes Road and Kemp Town stations)

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Lord Bracknell said:
In Brighton itself, I'd go for the Peter Pan Playground station on the Volks Railway.

I loved Peter Pans and the station when we were kids. I'd like to have seen Steyning Station. The sign is apparently now on display at the Steyning museum.

Current stations - like MoH - it has to be Brighton. The sweep of the platforms is majestic. It needs the entrance to Trafalgar Street re-opening though.

D

Deleted User X18H

Lord Bracknell said:
This is the railway at Hartington Road, after the station had been dismantled.

im_kemptn-5.jpg

The station opened in 1906 and closed in 1911.

Read all about the Kemp Town branch here (includes pictures of Lewes Road and Kemp Town stations)
Bracknell you have made my day ........can you give me a current locale as to where Lewes Road sation might have been now. Thank you

hove born&bred said:
Bracknell you have made my day ........can you give me a current locale as to where Lewes Road sation might have been now. Thank you
The passenger entrance to Lewes Road station was at the northern end of D'Aubigny Road (which runs between Roundhill Crescent and Richmond Road). The railway line ran through what is now the Centenary Industrial Estate in Hollingdean Road and the station was at the western end of the industrial estate site.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Rangdo said:
I like Falmer. It's got a nice picturesque field nearby with a quiet country road just to the north.

And a nice pond threatened by hordes of awful football supporters who will want to urinate in it and a really friendly country pub with a wonderful welcoming landlord.

Also, the line only takes steam trains which really adds character to the quiet friendly village nearby.
I wish they would use steam trains, I might get to work on time then, instead of waiting for the 377s to "power up" at each station.

As for favourite stations, London Road has Bardsley's nearby, imo one of the finest fish and chip shops in the whole country, never mind the South East. Hove Station makes me feel miserable, as it brings back memories. If you want a nice station outside Brighton, go to Appleby. In fact, take a ride on the Settle and Carlisle line if you can. The scenery is fantastic and there are some rather fine pubs up there.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
London Road is pretty dope, the Railway is across from it and they do a nice pint of Red Stripe in there plus it's within shouting distance of the Open House so you can abuse all the arty farty BASTARDS that drink ni there.

I do like Preston Park though, especially arriving back there. It's nice and open and the air is always fresh.

Oi Chappers, myself and the good TLO drink in the Open House. So mock ye not.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:

Glynde is great...as is The Trevor Arms...a great british country pub. lovely in the summer

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Tom Hark said:
Preston Park - when it's not clogged up with web-designers
London Road - that fox (or one very much like it) has been there for Years. Always a wondrous thing to see
Brighton - since that Marks'n'Sparks sprung up as if by magic over the course of a weekend
Falmer - Oh yes! A mere six minute pootle from London Road (26 minutes if you count the time spent trying to make the doors open on the deathtrap new trains)
Lewes - so handy for Lewes FC and multiple random Harveys pubs
Burgess Hill - not that I ever get off or on there, but I like the idea that there's one of the few remaining Uncle Sams just outside the station should the 'Must-Have-Chilliburger' red mist ever descend

hehe...the uncle sams is great. I was coming back from a bizarre adventure with some friends once. we'd gone to havant, had a few drinks, the others were pissed..well I was..but i hold it better than them...so instead of getting the first train back to brighton. they end up getting on the arundel train..so I follow..thinking they'll have sobered up by the time we reach ford and can change. but when the PA did its announcement..I realised the train goes to london, and I asked them if they felt like a trip to gatwick airport. so we did.anyways, coming back from gatwick airport I made us stop off at Burgess Hill for the uncle sams..and it was a great end to the day;)

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
bigc said:
hehe...the uncle sams is great. I was coming back from a bizarre adventure with some friends once. we'd gone to havant, had a few drinks, the others were pissed..well I was..but i hold it better than them...so instead of getting the first train back to brighton. they end up getting on the arundel train..so I follow..thinking they'll have sobered up by the time we reach ford and can change. but when the PA did its announcement..I realised the train goes to london, and I asked them if they felt like a trip to gatwick airport. so we did.anyways, coming back from gatwick airport I made us stop off at Burgess Hill for the uncle sams..and it was a great end to the day;)

So thats how you went through Pulborough recently.:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here