Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Band

<-----------------------The Divine Comedy

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Is very difficult to pick one, as it depends on my mood, however allt three of the folowing bands have loved pretty much everything they've done.
Blur, Green Day, Guns 'n' Roses

Currently I'm fully into The PORCUPINE TREE, who are a 'progressive' band doing some complex music, with harmonies and good writing and playing. They include Richard Barbieri, ex of 80's oriental-rock-new-wavers 'Japan'.

NINE BLACK ALPS do it, for the punkier rock stuff, I'm thinking they have top potential as well as a good debut album.

SUPERGRASS are still making great music - why ignore them now that they are no longer press-darlings in the limelight?
It was a bit early for their 'greatest hits' release to come out as it made some people think they had nothing left to offer. 'Road To Rouen' is very good though.

STEREOPHONICS put out some outstanding tracks on their last album. It's a bit inconsistent, but worthwhile imho.

Older faves include The WHO, Magazine, Simple Minds and Catherine Wheel, as well as Pink Floyd/King Crimson/Rory Gallagher/Dr Feelgood/Eddie and Hot Rods. Also currently catching up on some music I missed from the 60's and 70's like Scorpions, Satin Whale, Ibliss, Fields, Zombies, Artwoods, Kaleidoscope and others - thank heavens for eBay!

Last edited:

Jul 20, 2003
NMH said:
Currently I'm fully into The PORCUPINE TREE, who are a 'progressive' band doing some complex music, with harmonies and good writing and playing. They include Richard Barbieri, ex of 80's oriental-rock-new-wavers 'Japan'.

NINE BLACK ALPS do it, for the punkier rock stuff, I'm thinking they have top potential as well as a good debut album.

SUPERGRASS are still making great music - why ignore them now that they are no longer press-darlings in the limelight?
It was a bit early for their 'greatest hits' release to come out as it made some people think they had nothing left to offer. 'Road To Rouen' is very good though.

STEREOPHONICS put out some outstanding tracks on their last album. It's a bit inconsistent, but worthwhile imho.

Older faves include The WHO, Magazine, Simple Minds and Catherine Wheel, as well as King Crimson/Rory Gallagher/Dr Feelgood/Eddie and Hot Rods. Also currently catching up on some music I missed from the 60's and 70's like Scorpions, Satin Whale, Ibliss, Fields, Zombies, Artwoods, Kaleidoscope and others - thank heavens for eBay!

thanks again for the Magazine recommendation a couple of years back - first class

sneakychef

Oct 28, 2004
Stroud Green
Been a massive Bright Eyes fan ever since seeing them at the Komedia, many moons ago now, was the best gig I've been to by far.

All the support band members came on with bizarre instruments for the main performance and it was simply beautiful.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Red Hot Chili Peppers :bowdown:
Hard-Fi
R.E.M
All absolute quality and could listen to them all over and over again :clap2:

dcseagull

Dec 8, 2005
Washington DC
Can't pick just one. As someone else said, depends on the mood.....

Spearhead
The Band
Primal Scream
Alabama 3
Orbital

I'm not counting solo artists.....

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Father Jack said:
I would say Oasis are my favourite band of all time

Champagne Supernova is an incredibly good song.

Anyway, AC/DC or Queen for me

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Genesis.... and the earlier the better

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Smiths

..no hang on.......Stone Roses...

no The Smiths....

Roses...Smiths...Smiths...Roses......not sure.

pevenseagull said:
thanks again for the Magazine recommendation a couple of years back - first class

You are most welcome pevensea, I'm glad to hear that you share my regard for the Mags.
I mentioned to Lydon that he got a great guitarist when he chose to employ John McGeogh (and Lew Edmunds), but all the talentless pratt could say was "what about ME"!

Howard Devoto had interesting turns of phrases, twisting expressions around to suit new meanings. He was a founder member of The Buzzcocks before forming Magazine.

I recall you purchased a compilation CD - but did you hear 'Give Me Everything', 'My Mind Ain't So Open', and the great stuff on 'Secondhand Daylight'?
'The Thin Air' is one of my favourite ever instrumentals (along with The Simple Minds 'Theme For Great Cities'). The single version of 'Rhythm of Cruelty' is excellent, I bought that about the same time as Wire's 'Question Of Degree', another brilliant single of the time.

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Foo Fighters
Blur
Hard-Fi
The Arcade Fire
The Thrills
Maximo Park
Coldplay
Feeder
Blink 182 (later stuff)
Sigor Ros
Jose Gonzalez
Feeder
The Beatles:wave:

Snow Patrol - They're back!

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
NMH said:
You are most welcome pevensea, I'm glad to hear that you share my regard for the Mags.
I mentioned to Lydon that he got a great guitarist when he chose to employ John McGeogh (and Lew Edmunds), but all the talentless pratt could say was "what about ME"!

Howard Devoto had interesting turns of phrases, twisting expressions around to suit new meanings. He was a founder member of The Buzzcocks before forming Magazine.

I recall you purchased a compilation CD - but did you hear 'Give Me Everything', 'My Mind Ain't So Open', and the great stuff on 'Secondhand Daylight'?
'The Thin Air' is one of my favourite ever instrumentals (along with The Simple Minds 'Theme For Great Cities'). The single version of 'Rhythm of Cruelty' is excellent, I bought that about the same time as Wire's 'Question Of Degree', another brilliant single of the time.

"Rhythm of Cruelty" is indeed excellent.

...but "The Light Pours Out of Me" is just in another league entirely as far as I'm concerned.

As I still have a very soft spot for "Shot by Both Sides", which I think makes a very nice bridge between the "Spiral Scratch" punk sound and Magazine's more experimental stuff.

Good call on Question of Degree. Wire were also superb...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here