Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fat Tax - Do you agree?

Do you agree with a 'Fat Tax'

• Yup - Punish the lardy types

Votes: 26 56.5%
  • No - Why should they pay to be jelly bellies?

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Dunno really - I want to be healthy but do enjoy the odd chicken nugget

Votes: 12 26.1%

• Total voters

CAFC Matt

Jul 27, 2003
Woodindean
Stuid idea but i like the name - Fat Tax :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

The trouble with this is Cadburys, McDobnalds etc will get sued :lolol:

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Westdene Seagull said:

This arguement that it costs the NHS money is very misleading. We all ( well those of us that work ) pay NI to pay for the NHS. This means that regardless of our life style we're entitled to free ( ish ) treatment when required. If fat people need it because they are over weight so be it. Smokers need it because they smoke. Drivers need it when they are involved in a crash. Sports people need it when they get injured. Pedestrians need it if they trip on the pavement.

Should we tax all these pass times and activities because these people are a drian on the NHS .... of course not. The Government should look to encourage people to eat healthily not tax those that don't. If they actually stopped wasting billions a year on far too many Civil Servants, lazy benefit spongers and EU membership fees they might actually have enough money without taxing everything we enjoy.

But smokers are MORE LIKELY to use up NHS resources because, er, they suck dirty, gooey tar into their lungs all the time. That's why there's loads of tax on cigarettes (and rightly so, I say). Simple economics, really: if you want fewer people to buy things you put the price of them up.

Now then, who wants to come with me on a gateaux cruise to Dieppe?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Curious Orange said:

Wah-wah wah, wah wah wah. Wah wah.... (in a Peanuts style).

The talking peanut is the first thing i would tax.

I only really have a problem with the notion that they can raise taxes claiming its a massive expense for the NHS and then privatise the NHS.

oneboot

Aug 4, 2003
Burgess Hill
I say 'Tax the Fatties'.

I'm not sure about the cigarette thing though. If the tax on cigarettes pays more than cigarettes cost us on the NHS then I say let the daft plonkers smoke. On the other hand if cigarette tax revenue does not recoup the loss made by treating diseases cause by smoking then tax them more or ban smoking.

I understand banning smoking would be a rather bad idea as there would be a rather large amount of extremely stressed people. Serves them right.

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
US Seagull said:
They already have a stupid tax, it's called the lottery.

I'm not feeling that stupid after scooping 2 1/2 grand last week, this on top of the 5 or 6 £10 wins each year too cover my normal investment.

The lottery is only a stupidity tax if you actually believe you will win something and expect to win something. It came as a complete surprise to me that I got 1 1/2 grand, especially as the Saturday after 5 numbers only got you £800 and this wed it was £555.

The sad thing with a fat tax is that anyone who consumes something either as a treat or as part of a properly balanced diet is going to pay that too. Its an unfair tax in that way.

Maybe we could go back to public weighings an you pay tax according to how much above your normal weight/height index would be.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
why should Guy Butters pay more just for being a bit on the large side.

Let him enjoy his KFC without worry. :angry:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
GUNTER said:
why should Guy Butters pay more just for being a bit on the large side.

Let him enjoy his KFC without worry. :angry:

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
marvin said:
The lottery is only a stupidity tax if you actually believe you will win something and expect to win something.

No it's even more stupid if you're not playing to win. Why the hell play then? And the fact that you got lucky doesn't alter the fact that the odds are vanishingly small and it represents a huge waste of money for most people. What's worse is that it effects the poor more than the rich. I bet Richard Branson isn't out buying tickets, but some poor old biddy is slapping down her the last of her pension money for a vanishingly small chance at winning.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
NO NO NO NO f***ing NO!

why doesnt this f***ing government at least attempt to come up with an intelligent solution to the problem rather than go for a quick fix headline. Whats it going to achive? do you think lardy is not going to eat cause it costs him an extra 20p for his McDonalds? i think smoking proves this wont be the case.

We didnt get fat overnight, its taken a couple of generations for the situation to arise, and it'll take a couple to solve it. Its about proper enducation, information and guidence. possibly regulation to stop companies mis-representing their foods (yeah, 95% fat free means its 5% fat, probably the same as the non low fat brand) and to push them to use less fat gradually over time to allow our taste to change.

otherwise its just another tax on an addiction which we'll eventually become dependant on.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
beorhthelm said:
Its about proper enducation, information and guidence. possibly regulation to stop companies mis-representing their foods (yeah, 95% fat free means its 5% fat, probably the same as the non low fat brand) and to push them to use less fat gradually over time to allow our taste to change.

I would agree with that. Low fat yogurts, for instance. 5% fat but just have a look at the ingredients.
They are teeming with sugar. Misleading information.
I used to love Mullers Corners until someone pointed out to me that one contained 500 calories which for a lady is a third of normal daily intake.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
what a shit idea

taxing cheese for heaven's sake????? if that happened me and looney would be marching straight down to whitehall:angry:

that said, i'd be all for, getting rid of shitty novelty kids foods and stopping the companies that make em, advertising them so much. sort out the food we can get, don't slap taxes on them

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
I really want to play the lottery but the odds are so stupid that I just can't let myself.

theres only a 1 in 8 chance of matching just 1 number!!! And you don't even win anything for that!!! As I work it out anyway. Please correct me if wrong. Not sure if they pull out 6 or 7 balls.

match all 6= 1:13,983,816
5= 1:317,814
4= 1:14,125
3= 1:921
2= 1:78
1= 1:8

What is the point? but then again, there's still that chance....... :lol: I know better but I do enjoy a flutter

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
just been told you need 3 numbers to get a tenner, which the odds are 921 to 1.

I'll spell it out.

For every £921 you put down you should win £10. :jester:

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
teaboy said:
We should just line up all the fatties and chase them with sticks.

:lolol:

Use particularly pointy sticks on them at railway stations and make them buy TWO train tickets! Stop letting them get away with the easy option of sitting next to me!!!:D

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Vinyl Richie said:
I really want to play the lottery but the odds are so stupid that I just can't let myself.

theres only a 1 in 8 chance of matching just 1 number!!! And you don't even win anything for that!!! As I work it out anyway. Please correct me if wrong. Not sure if they pull out 6 or 7 balls.

match all 6= 1:13,983,816
5= 1:317,814
4= 1:14,125
3= 1:921
2= 1:78
1= 1:8

What is the point? but then again, there's still that chance....... :lol: I know better but I do enjoy a flutter

They draw 6 balls numbered 1 through 50 right?
So to get all 6 your odds are 50*49*48*47*46*45 = 11,441,304,000 - thats 11 billion to one (of 11 hundred million in English) or about 0.000000009% (I think???)
If you like gambling, there are any number of other games you can bet on that have orders of magnitude better odds than the lottery.

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
US Seagull said:
They draw 6 balls numbered 1 through 50 right?
So to get all 6 your odds are 50*49*48*47*46*45 = 11,441,304,000 - thats 11 billion to one (of 11 hundred million in English) or about 0.000000009% (I think???)
If you like gambling, there are any number of other games you can bet on that have orders of magnitude better odds than the lottery.

Nah I think there's 49 balls and even then you missed the fact that on your first pick you have a 6 in 49 chance (not 1 in 49), then a 5 in 48 chance (not 1 in 48 again) etc...

hence the sum is:

6*5*4*3*2*1
_________________ = 13.9 million odd to one

49*48*47*46*45*44

I'm pretty sure that's right. Either way still not worth going near.

Your 11billion is the total number of combinations possible with 49 numbers.
49*48*47*46*45*44 = 11biguns

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
You are more likely to drop dead today than ever win the lottery

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Vinyl Richie said:
Nah I think there's 49 balls and even then you missed the fact that on your first pick you have a 6 in 49 chance (not 1 in 49), then a 5 in 48 chance (not 1 in 48 again) etc...

hence the sum is:

6*5*4*3*2*1
_________________ = 13.9 million odd to one

49*48*47*46*45*44

I'm pretty sure that's right. Either way still not worth going near.

Your 11billion is the total number of combinations possible with 49 numbers.
49*48*47*46*45*44 = 11biguns

Yeap, you're right. You have the 6*5*4*3*2*1 bit because you don't have to draw them in order. My mistake.
Also the 50 thing was just be being a :dunce: - Well, I'm off to buy a ticket then.

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
US Seagull said:
No it's even more stupid if you're not playing to win. Why the hell play then? And the fact that you got lucky doesn't alter the fact that the odds are vanishingly small and it represents a huge waste of money for most people. What's worse is that it effects the poor more than the rich. I bet Richard Branson isn't out buying tickets, but some poor old biddy is slapping down her the last of her pension money for a vanishingly small chance at winning.

You misunderstand the point.

Some (usually poor) spend money they don't have on the expectation it will return them a major win. This is stupidity, (in actual fact I think spending money on scratch cards is more stupid than that. or entering the daily play draw or the bonus watsit etc.)

Some enter 1 set of numbers in a draw on the basis that in the turn of luck it may be them. You have to be in it to win it etc.

the latter do not expect to win, do not spend more than they can lose and sometimes it may, just may be them. An investment in dreams I call it. Tell me where else you can buy a dream for £2 a week? (or in my case for no investment at all as I have had returns before the 2 1/2 grand that meant I was either about even or ahead with the lottery anyway.

Not stupid at all, after all there is a 1 in the 1 in 14 million and someone has too be that 1, don't they?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here