Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fat people are fat because they eat too much

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Following on from what Larus says there's also the conditition of so called 'Comfort eating'. It's a form of depression much in the same way as such condidtions like Bulimia and alcholism.

Easy to say 'Get a life' when you actually have one but no so when you don't.

There is 'apparently' a newly discovered condition as lazarus describes but in truth I often feel hungry but I exercise what is known as self control and don't eat like a pig. Ergo I'm not hugely overweight. I also wonder just how much of the research that finds these conditions is funded by the food industry.

Used to work with one person who used to complain that none of the diets they tried ever worked but every day had 2 rounds of sandwiches, 2 packets of crisps and a chocolate bar for lunch swilled down with a can of coke. Now why were they fat? Go figure, they couldn't work it out.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Beach Hut said:
Tip for Mcdonalds parents - take your kids there around once every two months, compared to all other kids there you will be pleasantly surprised how well behaved yours are :lolol: :lolol:
You are absolutely bang on. Our kids get a happy meal as an occasional 'treat' and their behaviour is affected for at least the next 24 hours. Consequently visits to Mcdonaolds are strictly limited.

Also, did anyone else over about 35 look back at photos/film taking during the queen's silver jubilee celebrations in 1977 and notice how skinny all the kids were compared to the golden jubilee last year? 25 years ago dinner was meat + 2 veg, cooked at home by my mum. Main pastime was going out and playing football on the neaerest stretch of grass with my mates. Evening meals now are processed food taken from the freezer and heated in the microwave. Main pastime is TV or playing computer games. That's why so many more people are fat, especially kids.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
the quality of food in the uk is pretty low, and people are too busy to be able to cook properly. its no wonder kids don't want to touch anything decent and look like an army of roland brownings. its not their fault though (the kids i mean)

last year for the first time in my life i put on weight. not fat, but chunkier, with a bit of a podgy face and a larger waist. i blame moving to spain where the food was a lot cheaper as was the beer.... i cut down the beer a bit and stopped eating so much shit (didn't completely cut it out mind) and started losing weight. then came back to japan where the portions are smaller. nmh is right, you really don't need to fill yourself up to bursting point to be satisfied. when i have a full roast infront of me though the only logical conclusion to it is...finish the bugger. not necessary though, and i prefer to feel nicely full than bloated after a meal. also, i started drinking some 'light' beer at home. i am now back to my svelte 18 year old figure and am looking gorgeous once again.

so

-drink a little less (only a little mind)
-eat a little less (only a little mind)
-eat less shite (but still have a bit)
-play a bit of footie

sorted

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
In Greece, eating is very much a social thing. Whole families eat out together taking all evening to eat a meal.

A friend of mine married a Greek chap, had 3 children and still remains slim.

I asked her how she managed it. Her answer was that she always left something on her plate and never finished the portion.

The Greeks assume that if you clean the plate that you need more and will put more on it.

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting

Also, did anyone else over about 35 look back at photos/film taking during the queen's silver jubilee celebrations in 1977 and notice how skinny all the kids were compared to the golden jubilee last year? 25 years ago dinner was meat + 2 veg, cooked at home by my mum. Main pastime was going out and playing football on the neaerest stretch of grass with my mates. Evening meals now are processed food taken from the freezer and heated in the microwave. Main pastime is TV or playing computer games. That's why so many more people are fat, especially kids. [/B]

My son (when younger) used to go outside and play football on the field. He got moaned at by neighbours, he got complained about to the local council for playing football in the street (I loved that one he was at the time suffering ingrowing toenails on both feet and could ahrdly walk let alone kick a ball. What they eventually acknowledged was that he was watching others play football in the street.)

The reason he spent all his life inside or out of this area were the people who live here, never happy unless thay are complaining. Complaining a bout kids being kids half the time.

BTW he is not over weight, this is becuse he gets plenty of exercise (He was made to walk to school just about everyday that he had to go) despite being a MCD's junkie.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
marvin said:
My son (when younger) used to go outside and play football on the field. He got moaned at by neighbours, he got complained about to the local council for playing football in the street (I loved that one he was at the time suffering ingrowing toenails on both feet and could ahrdly walk let alone kick a ball. What they eventually acknowledged was that he was watching others play football in the street.)

The reason he spent all his life inside or out of this area were the people who live here, never happy unless thay are complaining. Complaining a bout kids being kids half the time.

BTW he is not over weight, this is becuse he gets plenty of exercise (He was made to walk to school just about everyday that he had to go) despite being a MCD's junkie.

some miserable old bastards used to compain about me and my friends playing footie in the street all the time. even called the police on us. there were only about 5 of us ranging from 5-11 yrs old. i loathe adults who seem to have a victorian attitude to kids

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
being ill's quite a good weight loss thing

(not that i reccomend it but...)

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
marvin - I know exactly what you mean. In Worthing you read about numerous cases where the council won't put up any money to give kids anything to do, yet complain when they have to deal with a load of grafitti (from bored kids, funnily enough). Still, the same attitudes existed when I was growing up in the 70s. We just used to ignore the complaining adults and carry on with the game. Difference then was that the police would turn up, have a bit of a kickaround for 5 minutes, tell us to keep it a bit quieter and then go away again.

Right outside my office window the road is a cul-de-sac where kids quite often play football as the only green space near here has a big sign saying 'no ball games'. The fat woman in the next office goes outside and tells them to stop playing. She wasn't happy when I told her to leave them alone.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Beach Hut said:
Rather sexist Looney if you ask me - nothing wrong with a girl and a pint these days

Sometimes your a right idiot. I didn't pass moral judgement on it I just stated it as I see it, Beer = Calories women require fewer calories hence it is easier for them to slap on the pounds. Maybe thats why the Bints have clammed up, theyve got more brains than you, or they are just to pissed.

True nothing wrong with a girl with a pint(Ignoring their 4 times greater susceptability to addiction and other health issues), I just aint dating the ones that blow up like whales or look as if they will in a few years.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I've been going to the gym for a couple of hours twice a week for over a year now (classes, not weights). I look better in clothes but have actually put on about a stone in weight as muscle weighs more than fat. This is annoying. It also took about a year of consistent exercise to make a difference and get the exercise habit. So my advice is find an exercise you like and stick with it, even if you don't seem to be losing weight.

I agree that most fat people are fat because they eat too much, so my New Year Resolution is to try and eat like a thin person. You won't see the healthy ones cramming down bumper bags of crisps, queuing at the pre-match burger van, ordering Super Size or calling in at the chip shop after. My failing is after a few beers or glasses of wine I get a sweets urge and all restraint goes out of the window.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
SUPERMODEL

Prepubescent imagery.
Empty, stupid eyes.
Waif thin.
Tyrannical.
No fat.
No body hair.
No character, no love, no personality -
no brain.
So thin, and yet...
so thick.
By your anodyne complicity
in this gruesome stereotype
you connive
in the corporate enslavement of your sisters
- anorexia, bulimia, self-loathing, fear.
They aspire to be like you
- an unnatural creation of capital -
and wreck their bodies in the process,
destroy their fertility,
tear apart their lives.
But hang on a minute?
Not my place to talk about that?
I’m a man, what do I know?
You’re just trying to earn a living?
What I’m saying has been said before?
OK.
But when the football blokes look