Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Farewell Brian, thanks for the Memories

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I know he gets a lot of stick around here but I for one will be sad to see Brian Barwick go. I'd like to point out just a few of the many acheivements he has had as F.A Chief Executive

-The handing over of Wembley Stadium, in my opinion the finest sporting arena in the world.

-The go ahead for the National Football Centre at Burton, when built this Centre will be as good as any in National Football.

-Implementing of the 'Respect' campaign, to give referees more respect which saw the opening weekend of the Premier League include just 1 card for dissent.

-The new England TV deal, one of the richest in the world, enabling more money than ever to go into grass roots football.

103barwick_468x574.jpg

Farewell Brian, you will be remembered by those not so blinkered for some fine achievements which bodes well for a bright future.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
don't want to dampen your parade, but it was actually TWO cards for dissent on the opening weekend

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agree, he's done a great job. He's made me come to my senses and stop watching England which I should have done years ago. Job well done, he can retire with that achievement as the cherry on the pie :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
eh? you want to celebrate that mediocre record and call it success? i call that trending water, doing no more than minimal.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
I know he gets a lot of stick around here but I for one will be sad to see Brian Barwick go. I'd like to point out just a few of the many acheivements he has had as F.A Chief Executive

-The handing over of Wembley Stadium, in my opinion the finest sporting arena in the world.

Years late and millions over budget

-The go ahead for the National Football Centre at Burton, when built this Centre will be as good as any in National Football.

A year late already

-Implementing of the 'Respect' campaign, to give referees more respect which saw the opening weekend of the Premier League include just 1 card for dissent.

Wasn't it 2 cards?

-The new England TV deal, one of the richest in the world, enabling more money than ever to go into grass roots football.

Grass roots my arse. The premier league still gets by far the biggest cut

Farewell Brian, you will be remembered by those not so blinkered for some fine achievements which bodes well for a bright future.

Yes we have a brighter future now he has gone.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wembley was a fiasco.

The new TV deal he brokered has now seen live England coverage split between two different subscription channels, which will ultimately result in less exposure/viewing figures for the England teams qualifiers.

The "Respect" campaign is just another early-season gimmick that will make a few headlines at the start of the season, before being completely forgotten about by November.

Oh. And Steve McLaren.

Yes, what a BLESSING Barwick turned out to be.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

103barwick_468x574.jpg

:clap:

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Barwick will forever be tarnished by the Mclaren appointment but the whole FA board who backed his appointment should have been sectioned.

Big changes are needed.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Who next then folks?

Should we be looking for another businessman like the last 3 have been or should we be looking for someone who has a greater knowledge/passion for the game (Brooking, Charlton etc)

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
i cannot see wht thius 'campaign' is being bigged up- surely its part of the rules of the game anyway..?

now, how about 'respect the FANS', with reduced pricies to see the games, replica shirts etc..

and maybe 1/2 price next time if a game ends 0-0.. cost comes out of player bonuses, so they have incentive to win (or at least try) EVERY game..

Who next then folks?

Should we be looking for another businessman like the last 3 have been or should we be looking for someone who has a greater knowledge/passion for the game (Brooking, Charlton etc)

It should be a football man. It's the football side that needs more urgent looking into, the business side should be able to look after itself.

However, given the urgent need to repay the extortionate costs of Wembley, which they now can't even fill, I suspect it will be a businessman.

phil1977

"And now on Whistle Test"
Nov 19, 2004
Bristol
Bye Bye Brian. Nice to see you fall on your sword. Be interesting to see what goon the FA appoints next? Maybe Sir Trevor "that one bobbled in the back of the net" Brooking maybe? Who knows!!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
f*** Off Barwick You Utter Wanker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here