Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

farepak what i dont understand..

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
Never understood these schemes

You give them fifty quid a month (600 in total) and they give you a hamper or vouchers worth about 400 when you add it up?

half the stuff in the hampers you wouldn't eat anyway!

Mrs C.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Man of Harveys said:
I know it shouldn't but my sympathy for these people took a slight knock this morning when I saw one of them saying that Christmas would be OK anyway because she'd just been out and bought all the stuff on her credit cards instead - "I couldn't have moi kids comin' down thinkin' Santa ain't been for them". Silly Vicky Pollard-lookalike cow.

Was that the same family who were filmed tucking into a christmas cake ... in November!!
If they are now that bloody hard up.... save it for xmas day!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Man of Harveys said:
I know it shouldn't but my sympathy for these people took a slight knock this morning when I saw one of them saying that Christmas would be OK anyway because she'd just been out and bought all the stuff on her credit cards instead - "I couldn't have moi kids comin' down thinkin' Santa ain't been for them". Silly Vicky Pollard-lookalike cow.

Do you have kids MoH?

I think your "Vicky-Pollard-lookalike cow" is probably just trying to put a brave face on it, and is keen to ensure her kids still have a good Xmas, whatever the price.

Personally I feel desperately determined to give my kids the best Xmas I can possibly give them. They get so unbelievably excited by the whole thing. What they want is endless, and the whole Santa tale revolves around them being rewarded for being good. Can you imagine the poor little face looking up at you from a sparsely filled stocking saying "Have I not been good enough to get a Power Ranger?"

It's the thought of that which drives people into debt at Xmas on their kids, and I perfectly understand how and why it happens, but I didn't understand before my kids came along. I consider myself very lucky that I have the money, and my biggest problem is getting that pressie he wants that's sold out everywhere. But I seriously feel for those who have carefully planned their money so that they can give their kids a great Xmas, only for it to be snatched away now.

What angers me is when kids go without "coz we got shit all dough innit" as the parents happily feed a 40 a day smoking habit each.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Gritt23 said:
Do you have kids MoH?

I think your "Vicky-Pollard-lookalike cow" is probably just trying to put a brave face on it, and is keen to ensure her kids still have a good Xmas, whatever the price.
No I don't, but if I did, I'd try to make them realise that if you have debts, you have to pay that money, plus a fair bit more, back at some stage. I would not just increase the amount of money already owed to the legbreakers for some brief childhood nostalgia-sustained bout of self-indulgence that I already couldn't afford. I think those parents need to grow up more than their kids do.

"Whatever the price" would be about as predatory a slogan as the "go on, spend more, you might die tomorrow"-themed advertising used so effectively to rob the poor by sharking credit card companies and leaving people with increasingly crippling amounts of personal debt. That's not good for anyone.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Man of Harveys said:
No I don't, but if I did, I'd try to make them realise that if you have debts, you have to pay that money, plus a fair bit more, back at some stage. I would not just increase the amount of money already owed to the legbreakers for some brief childhood nostalgia-sustained bout of self-indulgence that I already couldn't afford. I think those parents need to grow up more than their kids do.

"Whatever the price" would be about as predatory a slogan as the "go on, spend more, you might die tomorrow"-themed advertising used so effectively to rob the poor by sharking credit card companies and leaving people with increasingly crippling amounts of personal debt. That's not good for anyone.

Of course it's not the financially prudent way to manage your finances, but I can ABSOLUTELY understand how it happens.

Your first paragraph is pretty much how I'd have viewed it a few years back, but the thought of having that conversation with my 5 year old, which would result in him either not understanding, offering his money box, or just sobbing, is not top of my wish list.

Sure, you try to keep his list short, but there is a limit to how disappointed I would be prepared to make my kids rather than getting into debt a bit further.

Maybe you're right, maybe I'm too soft, and I do need to grow up more than my kids, but if that means I have to be cold hearted, and accept that sometimes you have to break their little hearts, then I'd rather stay as I am thanks.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I wish MoH was my dad, then we could all sit round on Christmas day with one sprout each, listening to the Lecture de Jour on how to be a responsible grown up, whilst rubbing our little blue fingers over the communal candle.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Bevendean Hillbilly said:
I wish MoH was my dad, then we could all sit round on Christmas day with one sprout each, listening to the Lecture de Jour on how to be a responsible grown up, whilst rubbing our little blue fingers over the communal candle.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
:lolol: :lolol: Quite right - apple, orange, nuts all round and no debased telly.

Aw f*** it - it is CHRISTMAS: I'm REALLY going to get into the spirit of things and open up another four store cards, ignore the council tax bill and bake a foul-looking Christmas cake - in November - which is sweet enough to make you think sugar rationing has only just ended and feed it to my morbidly-obese offspring and spouse.

Is that better? :)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Man of Harveys said:
:lolol: :lolol: Quite right - apple, orange, nuts all round and no debased telly.

Aw f*** it - it is CHRISTMAS: I'm REALLY going to get into the spirit of things and open up another four store cards, ignore the council tax bill and bake a foul-looking Christmas cake - in November - which is sweet enough to make you think sugar rationing has only just ended and feed it to my morbidly-obese offspring and spouse.

Is that better? :)

Ebanezzer Harveys ? Mind you, you do have a point. I have always been a bit surprised at how much people will spend on a wedding too.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Becoming a parent changes us all. Your kids will be playing the latest games console, just like all their mates. You'll have found a way to fund it because you'll do ANYTHING for your kids.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Gritt23 said:
Becoming a parent changes us all. Your kids will be playing the latest games console, just like all their mates. You'll have found a way to fund it because you'll do ANYTHING for your kids.

True, I have no kids although I have been in relationships with women who do. I remember a quite magical Christmas in Oklahoma when I was able to buy the partner I had at the time some decent presents.

Its a tough call but on the other hand some people do overdo it. However, all the time its so easy to get credit can you blame them ?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Just to be clear: I'm not a scrooge. I love Christmas and hopelessly indulge my already-overfed self and am massively indulged by my folks - it's always really, really great. The trouble is, I, and they, can thankfully afford to do so.

Would kids really be learning an unimportant lesson in life if they had it explained to them that they couldn't indulge in every little whim in order to keep up with all their mates' playground toys this year?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Man of Harveys said:
Just to be clear: I'm not a scrooge. I love Christmas and hopelessly indulge my already-overfed self and am massively indulged by my folks - it's always really, really great. The trouble is, I, and they, can thankfully afford to do so.

Would kids really be learning an unimportant lesson in life if they had it explained to them that they couldn't indulge in every little whim in order to keep up with all their mates' playground toys this year?

Surely there is a simple solution, as once suggested by my heroes The Dead Kennedys, "KILL THE POOR". Lets face it

1. They lower the standard of the gene pool
2. They cost the country a fortune in benefits and NHS bills to deal with their booze and tabs habits.
3. Most of them are ugly and wear shell suits.
4. They smell.

The trouble is that the politically correct society that we live in prevents this simple solution taking place.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
El Presidente said:
Surely there is a simple solution, as once suggested by my heroes The Dead Kennedys, "KILL THE POOR". Lets face it

2. They cost the country a fortune in benefits and NHS bills to deal with their booze and tabs habits.
4. They smell.

The trouble is that the politically correct society that we live in prevents this simple solution taking place.

A sort of poorocide rather than a genocide. I like it. However I am skint so where does that leave me. I haven't used the NHS in about 7 years, I am slightly ugly but only slightly, I own no shell suits and only smell of lynx.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
El Presidente said:

4. They smell.

Can we not use them as fuel or pets?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Buzzer said:
Can we not use them as fuel or pets?

Fuel I can understand but pets. I'm not house training some biner who can't even teach her kids to wipe that dried trail of snot linking their nose to their top lip.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Les Biehn said:
A sort of poorocide rather than a genocide. I like it. However I am skint so where does that leave me. I haven't used the NHS in about 7 years, I am slightly ugly but only slightly, I own no shell suits and only smell of lynx.

The all or nothing question Les, are you a Daily Star reader?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
El Presidente said:

4. They smell.

The trouble is who would do their menial jobs ? There just aren't enough Poles go round.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
El Presidente said:
The all or nothing question Les, are you a Daily Star reader?

Of course, where else would I find a balance opinion about whats going on with the world today?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
bhaexpress said:
The trouble is who would do their menial jobs ? There just aren't enough Poles go round.

The POLES would be exempted. I have four working on my extension at present and they are top blokes, apart from their slightly disturbing Neo Nazi tendencies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here