Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO Edna

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
A transit van smashed my mirror off while i was in a layby.Gave chase and caught up with him.He gave me his mobile number which i checked and worked and also took a pic of his reg on my phone.I gave him the option of paying me to get it fixed as it wasn't much or go through his insurance company.He choose to pay me but has not bothered to answer my calls or messages.Is there anythink i can do?No witnesses.I have his reg and thats it

Cheers

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hmmm, I take it he didn't pay you there and then.

You could report it to the police, but having said that, at best they could trace the vehicle and possibly report the driver for summons for failing to supply adequate details (name and address, plus name/address of the vehicle owner if it's not his) at the scene of an accident. If it's a company vehicle, it might be difficult to find who was driving, but at least you'd find out who the insurer is.

Realistically, with no other witnesses, he wouldn't go to court for careless driving etc, particularly as the damage is minor.

I guess what you really want is the money from him, but unfortunately the police can't make him pay, only send him to court if there's enough evidence.

Leave a message on his voicemail anyway, tell him if he doesn't get in contact by Monday, you're going to the police. You never know, it might work...

;)

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
edna krabappel said:
Hmmm, I take it he didn't pay you there and then.

You could report it to the police, but having said that, at best they could trace the vehicle and possibly report the driver for summons for failing to supply adequate details (name and address, plus name/address of the vehicle owner if it's not his) at the scene of an accident. If it's a company vehicle, it might be difficult to find who was driving, but at least you'd find out who the insurer is.

Realistically, with no other witnesses, he wouldn't go to court for careless driving etc, particularly as the damage is minor.

I guess what you really want is the money from him, but unfortunately the police can't make him pay, only send him to court if there's enough evidence.

Leave a message on his voicemail anyway, tell him if he doesn't get in contact by Monday, you're going to the police. You never know, it might work...

;)

Thanks

I'll leave another message tomorrow for him.The van had no markings whatsoever so i don't believe it was a company van.I didn't know how much it would cost untill i got it fixed and then thats when i tried to phone him.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
f*** he must have been close to take off your wing mirror. In actual fact he must have been driving IN the layby if thats where you were parked when he hit you :eek:

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
algie said:
A transit van smashed my mirror off while i was in a layby.Gave chase and caught up with him.He gave me his mobile number which i checked and worked and also took a pic of his reg on my phone.I gave him the option of paying me to get it fixed as it wasn't much or go through his insurance company.He choose to pay me but has not bothered to answer my calls or messages.Is there anythink i can do?No witnesses.I have his reg and thats it

Cheers
get his details, if you get no joy gissa nudge and do the biz.........im kinda good at stuff like that :lolol:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It always is a good idea to tell the police, someone ran into the back of my car once and the insurance wouldn't pay out because the accident was not reported.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Re: Re: FAO Edna

Guinness Dave said:
get his details, if you get no joy gissa nudge and do the biz.........im kinda good at stuff like that :lolol:
:cheery: ;)

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
dougdeep said:
It always is a good idea to tell the police, someone ran into the back of my car once and the insurance wouldn't pay out because the accident was not reported.

Yep, I always have. Theres not often a lot that they can do at that stage but it doesn't hurt to have it on record and show that at least you reported it straight away.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Re: Re: FAO Edna

Guinness Dave said:

Thanks for the offer mate but i've got it fixed.I didn't see the point of calling the police for something so minor.I don't even reckon they would of come out for it.I should of asked to see some id but there again he probably would of said he didn't have any

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Re: Re: Re: FAO Edna

algie said:
Thanks for the offer mate but i've got it fixed.I didn't see the point of calling the police for something so minor.I don't even reckon they would of come out for it.I should of asked to see some id but there again he probably would of said he didn't have any

They wouldn't come out for it but they take all the details over the phone and then at least it is on record if you need them later. You'd get less joy if you went back and tried to get their help for an incident that happened a couple of weeks ago and you hadn't reported.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd check with your insurance company. I would have thought that they could check who, if anybody he's insured with? I thought you were obliged to exchange insurance details in the event of an accident.

Do the police really not bother to get involved in things like this if it's reported? :ohmy:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Icy Gull said:
I'd check with your insurance company. I would have thought that they could check who, if anybody he's insured with? I thought you were obliged to exchange insurance details in the event of an accident.

Do the police really not bother to get involved in things like this if it's reported? :ohmy:

They leave it to the insurance companies to sort out if it's a minor incident. They will get involved if one of the parties won't supply insurance details, address etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here