Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO: Commuters to London

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
:D:D

It's true about the Sun. It's the most popular paper in England, yet hardly anyone on the Brighton line reads it. In fact, I'd say about three times as many people read the Guardian than read the Sun.

Although, sadly, most people seem to read Metro.

Conclusive proof, as if any were needed that:

1) Commuters are the economic blood in the veins of this great nation. The Sun is beneath these folk (although if someone in the office has a copy, they'll pick it up for a few minutes although just for the sport you understand).

2) Commuters are in it for the money. The Metro is cheap. Very cheap. By getting the Metro instead of, say, The Times, a commuter saves 70p. Multiply that up over a year and even taking account of holidays, that's a good £150 saved. (And, besides, one can generally be picked up for free, for the journey home, once the train arrives in London from all those mugs who spend all that cash and then just discard their purchase.)

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Conclusive proof, as if any were needed that:

1) Commuters are the economic blood in the veins of this great nation. The Sun is beneath these folk (although if someone in the office has a copy, they'll pick it up for a few minutes although just for the sport you understand).

2) Commuters are in it for the money. The Metro is cheap. Very cheap. By getting the Metro instead of, say, The Times, a commuter saves 70p. Multiply that up over a year and even taking account of holidays, that's a good £150 saved. (And, besides, one can generally be picked up for free, for the journey home, once the train arrives in London from all those mugs who spend all that cash and then just discard their purchase.)

Thanks for bearing my sole to all at NSC :lol:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
When my firm's office in Brighton closed in 98 and I was offered a job at HQ in the smoke I asked to go to 4 days per week so I could have a day with the kids. It works well cos I have wednesdays off and now they are all at school I get 'me' time. Basically, the job I do (consultant transport economist) doesn't exist locally so the alternate to commuting would be to move back to London
You do get used to it: the time in the morning is useful for work, reading the paper etc. But the journey home is apain, especially now it is dark. One tip which helps me is having a portable DAB so can listen to XFM, BBC 6 or cricket commentary etc.
PG

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I get the 7:37 from Preston Park to East Croydon (lovely place).
I've been doing it for 9 months and with a 2 year old at home I'll have to echo the other posters and say it is nice to have tiem to read, listen to music, psp etc that you can't do at home. Often on the 6:48pm home thanks to relaxed public sector employer!

Heavy breathers and stupid feckers who just stare at fellow passengers get my goat. When I'm on the train the only thing that exists in my world is my sleep and what's in my hand (easy).

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
bloody hell - I didnt know 9-5's still existed in the private sector in London...

I get up at 6am - leave at 7am - then 1 hour into canary wharf from Fulham Broadway. I then leave about 7pm and am back by 8. Grim.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
bloody hell - I didnt know 9-5's still existed in the private sector in London...

I get up at 6am - leave at 7am - then 1 hour into canary wharf from Fulham Broadway. I then leave about 7pm and am back by 8. Grim.

Some of us are efficient enough to do our work in that time...and still have time to log on to NSC.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Does for me - I get to the Wharf about 8:50 and try to leave at 5 on the dot. Sod the 24/5 global trading.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

It does in my area - get there for 8.30 and on average leave about 5.00. Some days may work a bit later. Do extras on my blackberyy or home access if need be.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ah, the banking sector and it's "I must stay late to look efficient" mantra.

Isn't that, sadly, a British industry mantra though?

No-one notices (or knows) that Tim is in at 7am. They notice him leaving at 4 though and may impart a chirpy and oh-so-witty 'half day today?' comment as he leaves for the day.

However everyone notices that Steve is always there when they leave at 5:30. "He really puts the hours in that Steve" they comment. They disregard he arrives at 10 and leaves at 5:32 as soon as his colleagues are clear of the building.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

No-one notices (or knows) that Tim is in at 7am. They notice him leaving at 4 though and may impart a chirpy and oh-so-witty 'half day today?' comment as he leaves for the day.

However everyone notices that Steve is always there when they leave at 5:30. "He really puts the hours in that Steve" they comment. They disregard he arrives at 10 and leaves at 5:32 as soon as his colleagues are clear of the building.
No Bozza. More specifically that is the British IT industry.

It's quite different in the building sector for example. They arrive at 7.30am (if they are going to bother at all) and this nick off at 3.30pm. And any time the customer is out of the house being worked on, is spent watching telly, drinking tea and rifling through female underwear drawers and putting on their bras for a laugh.

I read in Viz this month so it must be true.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...

It's probably true. I'd rather be in at 7 and leave at 5.30 then stay late. I'm hugely more efficient in the morning, as you'd probably tell by the time of most of my posts...

:)

D

Deleted User X18H

I commute and earn and absolute fcuking fortune for doing so, at least 5x what I could expect to earn in sussex, make the effort reap the benefits

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Used to have a "my seat" on the 07:00 here, didn't ever not get it just due standing miles down the end of the platform, and there was a practical reason for it too (got off quicker, got connecting bus quicker).

Now work a 40min drive away when I can be bothered to take a car, still 2 hour public transport commute time due to terrible layout of this city though.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Commuters...............
London..............

I can't find a smiley that expresses quite what I feel....... lying on the ground, rolling around, sides splitting, kicking feet in the air, howling helplessly with laughter......

Why oh why oh why oh why oh why....... there is a whole world out there. What are you doing wasting your life in that cesspool :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I have a choice of trains from Redhill except I can never get the 7.45 to London Bridge as it comes from Reigate and is always full and I'm buggered if I'm paying £1800 a year to stand all the way. The 7.48 meanders along and you see mostly the same people day after day standing as they can't sit down after the next stop on the way to London Bridge. I spend my time reading and listening to the iPod. This is my 3rd stretch of commuting - I did it for a couple of years in the 70s (which was quite fun really) then moved jobs to local to me as I "wasn't going to commute" then got shifted to bloody Croydon for a few years then back to Redhill then back to Croydon and finally to Lodon Bridge. Luckily I don't have to get a tube cos I hate the damn things. Were it not for the job that I do I wouldn't do it cos its a pain but you do get sort of inured to it. It has to be said also that British Rail (or whatever it's called today) has got a hell of a sight better over the last few years. It used to be dreadful but has now cleaned it's act up (well that's ballsed up Monday's train) but when it screws up it does so in spades. I've looked around down here for jobs but, whilst I could obviously afford to take a pay cut of the size of my season ticket, I couldn't afford to take a cut of any more than that and jobs here are about £8K less than in London on average so . . . you do the math.I leave at 4.10 or so and am back in the house by about 5.45 (which is probably a longer commute than those of you who live in Brighton because you can get a fast train). And then I sit up half the night posting things on NSC . . .

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I have a choice of trains from Redhill except I can never get the 7.45 to London Bridge as it comes from Reigate and is always full and I'm buggered if I'm paying £1800 a year to stand all the way. The 7.48 meanders along and you see mostly the same people day after day standing as they can't sit down after the next stop on the way to London Bridge. I spend my time reading and listening to the iPod. This is my 3rd stretch of commuting - I did it for a couple of years in the 70s (which was quite fun really) then moved jobs to local to me as I "wasn't going to commute" then got shifted to bloody Croydon for a few years then back to Redhill then back to Croydon and finally to Lodon Bridge. Luckily I don't have to get a tube cos I hate the damn things. Were it not for the job that I do I wouldn't do it cos its a pain but you do get sort of inured to it. It has to be said also that British Rail (or whatever it's called today) has got a hell of a sight better over the last few years. It used to be dreadful but has now cleaned it's act up (well that's ballsed up Monday's train) but when it screws up it does so in spades. I've looked around down here for jobs but, whilst I could obviously afford to take a pay cut of the size of my season ticket, I couldn't afford to take a cut of any more than that and jobs here are about £8K less than in London on average so . . . you do the math.I leave at 4.10 or so and am back in the house by about 5.45 (which is probably a longer commute than those of you who live in Brighton because you can get a fast train). And then I sit up half the night posting things on NSC . . .

Its grim oop north

Boat%20Newcastle.jpg

1912089-Lake_Windermere_sunset-Lake_District_National_Park.jpg

:lol::flameboun:laugh:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I commute and earn and absolute fcuking fortune for doing so, at least 5x what I could expect to earn in sussex, make the effort reap the benefits

Also make an effort to spell correctly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here