Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO Bozza

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I would have thought that if the Police wanted details of someone's internet use they would probably go straight to the ISP.

Bear in mind that even if he wanted to, the only information Bozza could give is whatever details you gave when registering and IP addresses. The latter of which is of course not necessarily linked to an individual.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Maybe I was, but why didn't you send a PM in the first place?

For the record I'm happy with Wookie PMing me the details, and I'm grateful he did.

I'm less happy that an event from last night where it seems no-one told anyone that I share NSC user details, has been twisted into quite a barbed accusation that I do.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I would have thought that if the Police wanted details of someone's internet use they would probably go straight to the ISP.

Someone posts something well dodgy on NSC. The police want to know who it is. How do they find out which ISP was used in order to attempt to trace them?

They'd need access to NSC info.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Seriously? You would let the police in your own home without a search warrant?

Same here, would have no problem with police wanting to search my home at any time, might be a bit unhappy if i had left the washing up in the sink. but other than that.
Would not have an issue with it.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Wookie has asked the question and Bozza has answered. Quite rightly, Bozza has asked for the name of the slanderer and as Wookie has allowed this cat out of the bag he should do so.... even if it is only by PM.

Slander is the last thing we need on here today.

Strictly speaking even though it was the spoken word, once it was written down and made into a record by posting it on here it would come under libel, not slander.

But carry on.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If some tw*t on here owned up to throwing a rock of the railway bridge, or some other stupid action, I for one would hope this site as a whole, and Bozza as the administrator would do everything they can to help the police in their investigations.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm presuming these are all terrorism or treason related; if not, what would they be?

Not for a second. Terrorism offences have their own statutes which would apply.

It's just ordinary, everyday stuff. If you get nicked for an indictable offence, the police have the power to search any premises occupied or controlled by you, if they have reasonable grounds for suspecting there may be evidence there of that offence, or a connected or similar offence.

Say you were nicked on suspicion of stealing something. The police could legitimately, and without any sort of warrant being required, search your home address, any business or other premises you control, any lock ups etc, with a view to locating the stolen item, or other stolen items.

Other examples: if you'd been sending someone threatening emails or trading fraudulently on eBay: they would be considering searching your place to find and seize your computer equipment perhaps. If you were arrested for a drug offence other than the most basic and minimal level of possession, you could expect your home to be visited too.

It very much depends on the offence to be honest and whether an additional search is proportionate: if you were suspected of nicking a Mars Bar from Tesco, they're hardly going to find additional evidence by going to your house. But if there was a suggestion you'd been on the take from your employer, or burgling houses, or handling knocked off gear, you can fully expect the police to be around and searching your premises as soon as you're in custody.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If the police ask Bozza for details he cant really say no i would imagine, they will get it one way or another
I doubt they have the right to ask for the details of everyone, regardless, so if they asked for that I'd assume Bozza would say no, not without a court order or some legal reasoning. If however, someone was showing off how they beat the shit out of an opposing fan, I'd hope Bozza would give the details to the police without even being asked.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Say you were nicked on suspicion of stealing something. The police could legitimately, and without any sort of warrant being required, search your home address, any business or other premises you control, any lock ups etc, with a view to locating the stolen item, or other stolen items.
I didn't know that. So what exactly is the point of a warrant, if you don't need one?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Someone posts something well dodgy on NSC. The police want to know who it is. How do they find out which ISP was used in order to attempt to trace them?

They'd need access to NSC info.

Join up and ask them!

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Having said all this, if you suspect something might get you into trouble down the road then don't post it. Same with Facebook or Twitter.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I didn't know that. So what exactly is the point of a warrant, if you don't need one?

The power I referred to above (Section 18 of the Police & Criminal Evidence Act 1984, as I can tell you're all interested to know) only applies once people have been arrested.

So, for example, if you had intelligence that a particular house was being used for drug dealing, but you didn't have enough evidence to arrest the occupant at that point, you'd apply to the court for a warrant, the magistrate will issue it if they feel there are sufficient grounds, then the ROZZERS go round, search the house and deal with whatever they find.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So, for example, if you had intelligence that a particular house was being used for drug dealing, but you didn't have enough evidence to arrest the occupant at that point, you'd apply to the court for a warrant, the magistrate will issue it if they feel there are sufficient grounds, then the ROZZERS go round, search the house and deal with whatever they find.
I assume you'd just arrest them on suspicion. Are you saying that you need less evidence to obtain a warrant than you do to arrest someone? It seems people can be arrested for looking wrong.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I assume you'd just arrest them on suspicion. Are you saying that you need less evidence to obtain a warrant than you do to arrest someone? It seems people can be arrested for looking wrong.

As far as I'm aware the Looking Wrong (Working Class) Act 1841 was repealed in the mid 1980s :thumbsup:

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
OK maybe this bit covers the police thing

Data must not be disclosed to other parties without the consent of the individual whom it is about, unless there is legislation or other overriding legitimate reason to share the information (for example, the prevention or detection of crime). It is an offence for Other Parties to obtain this personal data without authorisation.

Section 29 of the data Protection Act allows (not requires) a data controller (ie this site's admin) to provide personal data to the Police (or many other official bodies) for the purposes of the prevention or detection of crime. It would need the Police to provide a written request stating that the information was needed for that purpose, but the individual concerned would not need to be consulted or give consent.

From experience, most data controllers will comply with such a request if presented, provided it's about a specific offence and a specific individual, and not a fishing exercise (which the Police often try to get away with). Not saying of course that this has any relevance at all (given that Bozza has said it hasn't happened) other than to balance all the posts about warrants and isps not handing over details unless forced. It happens all the time, on a weekly basis in the organisations I am familiar with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here