Votes: 3 6.5%
  • I don't own either but COAL is BEST

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
fold away webber jetmaster for common use ........charcoal pit rotisserie for special occasions. :thumbsup: (spellcheck knows how to spell rotisserie ffs) first one is well handy and would recommend it to anyone , not sure about availability now as mine is over 10 years old , the charcoal pit is a bit of a piss around but the results are absolutely brilliant.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Prefer coal - bit more fiddly but one of my wifes friend had a gas bbq which developed a leak from the bottle so decided to stick with coal.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
We have a gas one (in fact we bought our latest in April £300 down to half price the used Tesco vouchers to get another £100 off so it cost £50 - bargin).

You have to put a deposit on your first gas bottle which was push up the but once you have it you only pay for gas.

I use ours at least twice a week in summer to cook tea so I wouldn't want the hassle of a coal one as its ready to cook a couple of minutes after switching on.

Other cons of coal is it can be smokier for neighbours

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I recently bought a Napoleon LE25 Burner Gas Barbecue from M&S as the webpage said that only "some assembly required"

Well it was delivered, I looked at the instructions, I used it as a table and finally got someone else to build it.

Attachments

• 03.05.11 007.JPG
    03.05.11 007.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 391
  • 16.05.11 001.JPG
    16.05.11 001.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 392
  • 03.05.11 008.JPG
    03.05.11 008.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 392
  • 16.05.11 004.JPG
    16.05.11 004.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 383

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Why bother with gas....totally contradicts the point of a BBQ...you may as well cook indoors. You can't beat the chargrilled taste of a proper charcoal BBQ. Of course if you are unable to cook on charcoal without burning your food I can kind of understand the controlability of gas but it is possible to cook on coal without burning if you get it set up right and are attentive enough.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Disposable bbq's is what we use.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Charcoal all the way, I'm an enthusiast, I have a Weber classic kettle, perfect for everything from a burger to the Christmas turkey ( did this 2 years ago). Also a Cypriot rotisserie kebab bbq and a regular open bbq grill. Planning on building a BBQ station later this year, to house the kettle, the Rotisserie and to include cupbaord storage, granite worktops and a herb garden. All to be covered by a canvas sun (and rain) canopy/pergola.

As for barbecuing in the rain, of course you can, just put an umbrella up. :rant:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Weber Beef Master. It's a kettle style charcoal thing.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Charcoal all the way, I'm an enthusiast, I have a Weber classic kettle, perfect for everything from a burger to the Christmas turkey ( did this 2 years ago). Also a Cypriot rotisserie kebab bbq and a regular open bbq grill. Planning on building a BBQ station later this year, to house the kettle, the Rotisserie and to include cupbaord storage, granite worktops and a herb garden. All to be covered by a canvas sun (and rain) canopy/pergola.

As for barbecuing in the rain, of course you can, just put an umbrella up. :rant:

GO ON MY SON...:thumbsup:

have you tried a leg of pork in it...?? will take about 4 hours and two bags of brickettes but well worth it...

I need to know how to do the whole chicken in a barbie.

Please tell.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Charcoal all the way for me and my only tips are Constant turning and dont buy cheap food, flames everywhere.

Also the £7 Bucket BBQ's from tesco are superb, take it anywhere, only need a bout 10 lumps of coal and cooks for about 90 mins, top draw for a family of 4 on a picnic

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Why bother with gas....totally contradicts the point of a BBQ...you may as well cook indoors. You can't beat the chargrilled taste of a proper charcoal BBQ. Of course if you are unable to cook on charcoal without burning your food I can kind of understand the controlability of gas but it is possible to cook on coal without burning if you get it set up right and are attentive enough.

this,cant beat charcoal!!!!,i managed to feed over 3000 people afew years ago,with 3 drum bbqs,if you know what your doing :eek:

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
After using both for a period of time, I think that if you have the time and patience, then Charcoal is infinitely better than Gas, however, over time a proper kettle gas barbecue will begin to offer flavours you previously thought impossible. It's all down to the cleaning. Only thing you ever need to clean on a BBQ is the grill and the gas burner covers.

The pro's of a gas bbq for me outweigh my love of charcoal. Going to take delivery of my new Weber e310 on Wednesday and I can't wait. In the summer I use the BBQ at least 4 times a week - have an easily covered patio area for the BBQ so cooking in the rain is not a problem. You can easily add flavourisers to most gas bbqs now to provide the flavour of a coal bbq - i don't bother though, just make sure you buy decent meat and marinate it properly.

One thing that the gas bbq does offer over a charcoal is waste. I have a massive issue with cleaning up a charcoal bbq - gets me right irritated. Gas, I just tuirn it off, and cover it up (after its cooled obviously)

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
this,cant beat charcoal!!!!,i managed to feed over 3000 people afew years ago,with 3 drum bbqs,if you know what your doing :eek:

3000 ? or 300 ? either way impressive. Im sweating on my bbq of choice to feed 70 in a months time. Reckon Charcoal after reading these comments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here