Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO Authors Of 'Build A Bonfire' - An Ultimatum

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Large One said:
It is a GOOD IDEA. So much so, that a narration idea has already been discussed by myself and some others...

Oh, just watch this space, and wait and see. :)
Excellent. Lets have some guests to do the voices.

Liam Brady.....................London Irish
Bill Archer.......................Danny la Rue
David Bellotti..................A wounded stoat
Dick Knight.....................Russell Crowe
Martin Perry...................Fred Dinage
Atilla the Stockbroker....Brian Blessed
Paul Samrah..................Howard from the Halifax

Not sure if I'd be any use, but I could do some faint mewling noises in the background if you like.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I get more Anger from MT90M, but Build A Bonfire is still an essential posession in my eyes

Whenever you think stuffs not going well at the club, read it. And you see what 'not going well' really is :(

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
Richi Morris doesn't have a copy.

I say keep it out of print.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Easy 10 said:
Excellent. Lets have some guests to do the voices.

Liam Brady.....................London Irish
Bill Archer.......................Danny la Rue
David Bellotti..................A wounded stoat
Dick Knight.....................Russell Crowe
Martin Perry...................Fred Dinage
Atilla the Stockbroker....Brian Blessed
Paul Samrah..................Howard from the Halifax

Not sure if I'd be any use, but I could do some faint mewling noises in the background if you like.

Half the protagonists post on here already :clap:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Lokki 7 said:
Oh oh! No one has said it yet, no one has said it yet!

IF YOU WERE A REAL FAN YOU WOULD OWN A COPY ALREADY.

*sits back and basks in the glow of superfan superiority*

Me too.

Where were YOU when we were shit? All these Johnny come latelys as Ernest calls them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Me too.

Where were YOU when we were shit? All these Johnny come latelys as Ernest calls them.

I was there through thin and thinner. I just don't have the f***ing book that's all.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I feel ashamed to own this book (and more than 90 minutes signed by stuart storer!), yet i've never been to the goldstone.

A reprint is DEFINATELY needed. It's taught me loads about the club and i'm sure there's other likes me out there. Others of course will want to read it because they experienced it. Its only fair that everyone who wants it should have it, surely?

Maybe a new version could have something about the Falmer campaign with it?

BlueWhite

Dec 28, 2003
One of the co-authors here. The other one posted a few weeks ago that we intend to do a new updated version when we get the nod for Falmer - reprint what there is and re-interview people from before. We could take the opportunity to make corrections to the existing text and add some stuff that people were releuctant to have in print in the original edition - including contributions from DK, who was delicately negotiating our future at the time. (We cut so much stuff on the advice of a lawyer - my favourite "cut" was from Liam Brady whose passionate introduction once cut ended up being something like "my name is Liam Brady and I was manager of Brighton!" Don't think he didn't like Archer or Bellotti much).

Steve and I had never written a book before so the whole publishing lark was new to us. Mainstream published 2000 copies in hardback and didn't see the business potential for doing more and wouldn't be persuaded. Our instinct was to publish more copies and in paperback, so more people could have it cheaper, but Mainstream didn't want that. Obviously there are people out there who would like a copy - but how many more I don't know. Clearly people make £40 a go or so on ebay, but if there were 100 more around would that satisfy demand? I don't know.

I'm all for the scanning idea in that I'd like as many people to read it as possible - from other clubs as well as ours. I don't know how Mainstream would feel about it though. I suppose if it was scanned we might find it harder to find a publisher for Build A Bonfire (Falmer Edition).

The book is one of the proudest things I've done with my life - cos I think we managed to tell what is an incredible story in the words of the people for whom it was so important.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Nooooooo! I just paid £35 on e-bay for mine, I don't want it devalued by a cheap reprint!

Seriously though, an updated one would be great to own, all Brighton fans should have a copy to pass through the generations, so all Albion fans in the future understand what the supporters went through to save this club.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Of course there should be an updated version, lets just get Falmer first, then the 2nd edition will be fantastic and will no doubt sell a bundle.
I've not read it and I'm desperate to, but willing to wait for what sounds like a better, newer edition.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
BlueWhite said:
One of the co-authors here. The other one posted a few weeks ago that we intend to do a new updated version when we get the nod for Falmer - reprint what there is and re-interview people from before. We could take the opportunity to make corrections to the existing text and add some stuff that people were releuctant to have in print in the original edition - including contributions from DK, who was delicately negotiating our future at the time. (We cut so much stuff on the advice of a lawyer - my favourite "cut" was from Liam Brady whose passionate introduction once cut ended up being something like "my name is Liam Brady and I was manager of Brighton!" Don't think he didn't like Archer or Bellotti much).

Steve and I had never written a book before so the whole publishing lark was new to us. Mainstream published 2000 copies in hardback and didn't see the business potential for doing more and wouldn't be persuaded. Our instinct was to publish more copies and in paperback, so more people could have it cheaper, but Mainstream didn't want that. Obviously there are people out there who would like a copy - but how many more I don't know. Clearly people make £40 a go or so on ebay, but if there were 100 more around would that satisfy demand? I don't know.

I'm all for the scanning idea in that I'd like as many people to read it as possible - from other clubs as well as ours. I don't know how Mainstream would feel about it though. I suppose if it was scanned we might find it harder to find a publisher for Build A Bonfire (Falmer Edition).

The book is one of the proudest things I've done with my life - cos I think we managed to tell what is an incredible story in the words of the people for whom it was so important.

Cheers for the update - much appreciated :clap:

Reckon a reprint would have wide appeal, both at the Albion and at other clubs. Required reading for any set of fans whose club is under attack from unscrupulous businessmen. And there's plenty of those about.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Hiney said:
I have read it probably 6 times and NEVER fail to be moved to tears of frustration, anger and ultimately pride.

How wet are you? Bloody fairy :ohmy:

If you didn't buy it first time round, then tough. You shouldn't be bleating about it after the event.

Bloody bandwaggoners, if you weren't at the meetings at the old Concorde Club and other venues, and didn't join in during the protests of 95-96 then you don't deserve a copy

Bloody newbie post-Goldstone "footy" fans, quit your bitching ;)

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
BlueWhite said:

What he said :clap: :clap:

Like the idea of a edited narrated version as well.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Dancin Ninja BHA said:
How wet are you? Bloody fairy :ohmy:

If you didn't buy it first time round, then tough. You shouldn't be bleating about it after the event.

Bloody bandwaggoners, if you weren't at the meetings at the old Concorde Club and other venues, and didn't join in during the protests of 95-96 then you don't deserve a copy

Bloody newbie post-Goldstone "footy" fans, quit your bitching ;)

WHAT?

Why am I 'bleating'?

I DID buy it first time round. I was merely trying to point out that it is an essential read, not only for Albion fans but for anyone else who has more than a passing interest in football.

Sorry you feel the way you do. I don't think anyone's bitching about not having a copy - they would just like to have one!

BlueWhite said:

:wave: Cheers.

Just update it! And get it ready for XMAS!!!!

If we get Falmer 10,000-20,000 should be good first print!

lc

BlueWhite said:

Ta for the update. It's true that there might not be a huge demand for an identical reprint (although I think it would be way, way more than 100 copies), but if you did update with both restored and new material, I think most people who bought the original would feel impelled to buy it again, as with a new replica shirt with slightly different blue and white stripes :D

I can see that it's a lot of hard work to find a new publisher though. Looks like Tom's daily page on NSC is going to be the winner in the short term. It might actually be fun discussing a page of the book every day on here, and getting people's contemporaneous memories of the events going on in the narrative, NSC could operate as a huge book club/reading circle :clap: :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here