Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO Apple lovers (Bozza). Advice please.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Am off to the big apple next week and was thinking of getting an i-pad out there if they are significantly cheaper than here.

Does anyone know if there are any problems/issues buying one in the states for use in the UK?

Will it be that much cheaper?

Much appreciated :smile:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You'll save some money, yes and it will work fine in the UK. Apple will honour the guarantee as if it were bought in the UK.

You will be over the threshold for tax-free purchases to be brought back into the UK so you might want to lob the box away to reduce your risk, although I wouldn't bother.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
You'll save some money, yes and it will work fine in the UK. Apple will honour the guarantee as if it were bought in the UK.

You will be over the threshold for tax-free purchases to be brought back into the UK so you might want to lob the box away to reduce your risk, although I wouldn't bother.

Cheers matey. Any advice on which model to go for? 3g? I am a bit of a novice on this to be honest.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you do a lot of commuting on trains and want to be online throughout, then 3g would be handy.

I've always gone for WiFi only and either use a MiFi or tether to your phone if you need internet access and have no access to WiFi.

Apps are getting bigger to take advantage of the new screen, and you might put higher def movies/TV shows on there for the same reason so I wouldn't even consider the 16gb. Go for the 32gb, or push the boat out for the 64gb if you can afford it.

D

Deleted member 18477

the new screen is sensational! a great purchase!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
General question, any date for 4G in the UK yet?

And [MENTION=1022]Wilko[/MENTION], don't buy the 4G if they do an Apple version yet, it won't work here!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

And [MENTION=1022]Wilko[/MENTION], don't buy the 4G if they do an Apple version yet, it won't work here!

It will work, on 3G. But there are no plans or rollout planned for 4G in the UK yet as far as I know.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Oh really? Loking at the apple website it is the 16gb 3G or the 32/64g 4g.

Now confused :(

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It will work, on 3G. But there are no plans or rollout planned for 4G in the UK yet as far as I know.

But the original version of the HTC Desire HD which was sold under a different name in the US wasn't sold in this country because it was 4G? They had to convert it to 3G in order to sell it in the UK?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
But the original version of the HTC Desire HD which was sold under a different name wasn't sold in this country because it was 4G? They had to convert it to 3G in order to sell it in the UK?

Do you think Apple would sell something in the UK, that did not work? The new version will work on 3G or 4G

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Do you think Apple would sell something in the UK, that did not work? The new version will work on 3G or 4G

No idea, it has kind of confused me now because I am sure the HTC HD wasn't sold here because it was built in 4G technology... what do I know? I'm seriously thick on handheld devices.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I haven't followed 4G at all, but in the US there are two different and incompatible versions of 4G operated by AT&T and Verizon. You buy your iPad depending on which network you are intending to use.

I also believe (but as above, have done zero research) that UK 4G, when it happens, will be a further flavour.

Simply - buy a 3/4G iPad if you want to be able to online with no fuss all of the time. With 4G you may just get quicker speeds as and when. The 'online all-the-time' is what you are buying.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you do want the 4G version, get the AT&T one (I think) as Verizon use a different wavelength that no carriers use over here

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I bought the new 16Gb wi-fi ipad to rpelace my original one, If you want it for email surfing and the occasional game/app as I do 16Gb is fine, I have a selection of apps, games on mine and only use about 9Gb of space.

I rarely if ever put movies on mine and am not one for keeping loads of apps I don't use on there so don't have any need for any more space.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Bought one for the wife a couple of weeks ago after her incesant nagging for one and everyone else bigging them up, WOW, what an underwhelming bit of kit. The web browser is pretty naff, can't even play seagulls player footage, and essentially just a load of apps that do exactly what you get on any smartphone. In fact its just a glorified web browser and storage device. Massively over priced and over hyped.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I have just persuaded the pensioner in laws to purchase a 64GB WFFI only new I Pad and i am really hoping it will be ideal for their needs. They are seriously not techie so i thought it would be ideal for the principle uses of web browsing, a bit of e-mail and some apps like Sky News etc. I thought that as a method of digesting media it would be great and i would get less "service"calls than if they had opted for a full blown lap top.

On the spec issues i advised getting the max since many of the new apps will get bigger to take advantage of the stunning screen spec plus thats plenty of room to store films and any family HD photos or vids. My understanding is that paying for the 4G at this point in time is largely pointless because by the time 4G is universally rolled out in the UK there will be another i Pad out and many tech sites are also pointing out that this one will not work on the 3 spectrum bands which will be used on the UK networks when 4G is rolled out.I have just persuaded the pensioner in laws to purchase a 64GB WFFI only new I Pad and i am really hoping it will be ideal for their needs. They are seriously not techie so i thought it would be ideal for the principle uses of web browsing, a bit of e-mail and some apps like Sky News etc. I thought that as a method of digesting media it would be great and i would get less "service"calls than if they had opted for a full blown lap top.

On the spec issues i advised getting the max since many of the new apps will get bigger to take advantage of the stunning screen spec plus thats plenty of room to store films and any family HD photos or vids. My understanding is that paying for the 4G at this point in time is largely pointless because by the time 4G is universally rolled out in the UK there will be another i Pad out and many tech sites are also pointing out that this one will not work because the new iPad 4G uses the 700MHz and 2.1GHz spectrum bands whereas European LTE bands occupy the 800MHz, 1800MHz and 2.6GHz frequencies. Despite this, the tablet can still use its 3G and 3.5G connectivity options to offer theoretical maximum download speeds of up to 42Mbps.

Personally i am in the Android camp (sorry Bozza) but i will wait till the quality and range of those apps catches up as they are lagging behind at present on tablets.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Been on Apple stuff for years and finally took the plunge on the new iPad. Pretty impressed overall - great for travel - although iCloud syncing leaves a lot to be desired compared to Dropbox and I find it incredible that the Pages and Numbers software is not fully compatible with its Macbook counterpart.

At the moment, though I'm struggling to like Lion very much - which I had to upgrade to on my Macbook to be able to get iCloud working at all. Takes a bit of getting used to and the standard of scrolling in Safari is ropey.. slightly unresponsive and quite jerky sometimes.

I'd say from being someone who loved Apple stuff thoroughly, my affections are on the wane slightly. Being forced to ditch MobileMe and buy a new operating system to use iCloud irritated me. I thought that would be offset because everything would just be 'better' as usual, but I'm not so sure where Apple are going with some of the changes. It feels like some of the changes in Lion have actually dumbed things down and removed some of the benefit of being on a 'proper' computer.. I don't want everything to work in the same way as my phone or iPad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here