Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Fantasy Football

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Just about to pick my team for the coming season, any tips? Who should I absolutely definitely put in my team.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Barco, Pedro and Minteh from us.
Watkins
Arsenal defenders

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
Barco, Pedro and Minteh from us.
Watkins
Arsenal defenders
Might countenance having one Arsenal defender at the start of the season, but I wouldn't double up already as many did last season or indeed bring in the maximum three from Arsenal in light of their initial fixtures. On the contrary, probably better to go with an attacker like Saka or Havertz.

Due to our opening fixtures, I'm not buying any of our attackers just yet, it'll just be Barco as an enabler for now.

Watkins should have a great season, but he's not featured in any of Villa's pre-season friendlies, even Saturday's match against Dortmund, so it's possible he'll have something of a slow start.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Used to be a young lad called Gross who was reasonably priced and good for the odd goal and assist. Wonder what happened to him?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Might countenance having one Arsenal defender at the start of the season but I wouldn't double up already as some did last season or indeed bring in the maximum three from Arsenal given their initial fixtures. For the same reason I'm not buying any of our attackers just yet, it'll just be Barco as an enabler for now.

Watkins should have a great season, but he's not featured in any of Villa's pre-season friendlies, even Saturday's match against Dortmund, so it's possible he'll have something of a slow start.
I also have a feeling Villa will struggle to recreate last years form, with the extra games for the Champions League. So that might have an impact on Watkins.

pigmanovich

Mar 16, 2024
London
I also have a feeling Villa will struggle to recreate last years form, with the extra games for the Champions League. So that might have an impact on Watkins.
Yes, and even if they don't decline, they have depth, so I expect Watkins might sit out a few less critical games and be replaced by the likes of Rogers.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Might countenance having one Arsenal defender at the start of the season, but I wouldn't double up already as many did last season or indeed bring in the maximum three from Arsenal in light of their initial fixtures. On the contrary, probably better to go with an attacker like Saka or Havertz.

Due to our opening fixtures, I'm not buying any of our attackers just yet, it'll just be Barco as an enabler for now.

We shall agree to disagree 👍🏻

pigmanovich

Mar 16, 2024
London
To answer @Giraffe's question, without giving too much away about my own team, Barco and Hudson Odoi are brilliant enablers -- cheap players who should still perform well :thumbsup: A lot of managers take a similar view of Smith Rowe, but I'm going to wait and see how he does.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm curious if (m)any others in here still do the old school, auction style Fantasy League?

I've been in a league with friends for 11 years and tbh would never switch it for the modern style FPL where everyone can own the same players.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I'm curious if (m)any others in here still do the old school, auction style Fantasy League?

It seems strange that you say "old school" and Fantasy League in the same breath because I'm so old school that people used to play those games on boards and not computers.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It seems strange that you say "old school" and Fantasy League in the same breath because I'm so old school that people used to play those games on boards and not computers.
By old school I also mean that this auction style one evolved from the original Fantasy League that was done through the Telegraph I think it was - and you'd be sent printed out league tables every month (think it was monthly, surely not weekly). Ah good times.

Midget

Amexgemeinschaftsstadionhallebierschluckerinchen
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking

I've been in a league with friends for 11 years and tbh would never switch it for the modern style FPL where everyone can own the same players.
They do Fantasy Draft now although I've never tried it

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Midget

Amexgemeinschaftsstadionhallebierschluckerinchen
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
We used https://fantasyleague.com/ for 10 years but sadly it's completely fallen apart recently, they tried to bring in a new app/new website which was completely unusable.

We've moved to https://www.fantrax.com/ which is FREE and endlessly customisable, even if a bit US-based in it's formatting.
Fantasy Draft is part of the official FPL one (and free).

https://draft.premierleague.com/help if you want to see the rules and how it works.

I'll check out the fantrax one, thanks, although doubt I'll be able to get enough from my current mini-leagues to join an "old-school" one sadly.

And yes I remember playing the old Telegraph one in the 90s in work, league owner would send updates round in the internal post :lol:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Fantasy Draft is part of the official FPL one (and free).

https://draft.premierleague.com/help if you want to see the rules and how it works.

I'll check out the fantrax one, thanks, although doubt I'll be able to get enough from my current mini-leagues to join an "old-school" one sadly.

And yes I remember playing the old Telegraph one in the 90s in work, league owner would send updates round in the internal post :lol:
Draft is a dirty word in our league - a couple of people pushed hard for us to do it this way - to MASSIVELY speed up the auction night, but others pushed back, even to the point of a couple of stalwarts threatening to leave the league if we went draft.

1723631842617.png

It's massively geeky but we love the auction night - book a room in a pub, get meals in and bid for players. Everyone gets 100m, there's only one of each player (obvs) and we go broadly with the real life windows, so it's essential to avoid injury prone players (I got Reece James last season, never again).

Usually takes about 4 hours and everyone is losing the will to live near the end but the rest of it is fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here