Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fantastic singer at the Amex today

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It is supposed to be sung by a man really.

Agreed, it's about unrequited love, but her voice actually suited it.

I have done it a couple of times in recitals and the trouble with a male tenor singing it is that you are always compared to Pavarotti version, which is like comparing a learner driver to Lewis Hamilton.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Well said Granny, excellent singer, and thoroughly entertaining.

You'd have to be an utter peasant not to have liked it.

Utter peasant here. I thought she was awful. Squeaky voice made me want to block my ears. That opera stuff (some of it) is OK sung by men, but ...

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Not really into opera, but thought she sounded great, I couldn't hear her sing Sussex by the sea.
Ps she was extremely fit and I would definately hit it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Utter peasant here. I thought she was awful. Squeaky voice made me want to block my ears. That opera stuff (some of it) is OK sung by men, but ...

Opera is very marmite...you either love it, don't get it , or just hate it.

Our sort of stuff is oratorio, ie requiems and anthems. We hire soloists like her all the time, and she was very very good, in front of 20,000 people on your own with just a backing track, which she would have heard a beat behind her voice.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
I think she was a good singer but the stadium PA didn't help. Maybe just needed turning down a bit.
Turning off would have been better. Thought she ruined what was a good build up. Each to their own but its not something football needs imo anyway.

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
Fantastic choice of tunes today, has to be said; Insomnia, Super Stylin' and a bit of Good Feeling.

Thought opera girl was super impressive. Has to be said though that the only time she never hit anywhere near the note was when she tried 'Seagulls! Seagulls!' :lol:

Agreed. Thought the pre-match stuff was great today....and she was brill. Bring her back next season...

paul pring

Aug 11, 2011
tonbridge
Can't bear screechy opera singers at the football. Totally incongruous, and somehow patronising, in a 'let's educate the plebs' kind of way. All Pavarotti's fault (RIP).

Thank Christ she didn't attempt Sussex by the Sea... unlike that Martin Toal bloke at the Spurs friendly... :facepalm:
ddddddddddddddrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr she did when the teams came out

Jul 20, 2003
I still don't understand what relevance it has to football, nice tune but it doesn't make any sense

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
I still don't understand what relevance it has to football, nice tune but it doesn't make any sense

Opera has crept into football since 1990 world cup and Pavarotti. Just something else to add to the entertainment and attract different people I think.

Jameson

I thought she was great. It cant be easy walking out onto our stage and perform like she did. How she stayed upright in those heels was a major result before she even started to chirrup. I've been to Glyndebourne, Albert Hall and various other venues, seen some wonderful operas and given the circumstances, she did exceptionally well. I have to say the reaction from all sides of the ground confirmed that. Top girl; come back soon. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here