On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
In today's Daily Post:

The crying game
Nov 25 2004

By Robbie Savage

I COULDN'T get to Wrexham's game against Bristol City on Saturday but I managed to catch up with the television coverage the following day and I have to admit the scenes almost brought a tear to my eye.

A terrific crowd obviously whipped up a fantastic atmosphere and the backing Wrexham got from supporters of clubs up and down the country was just as impressive.

Living here in the Midlands means it is difficult for me to keep right up to speed with exactly what's going on and what has happened in the past to bring the club to its knees.

But the comments of fans who were interviewed brought home to everyone watching at home just what the club means to so many people.

Their views also made me realise the depth of bitterness there is against club chairman Alex Hamilton - obviously a man whose has shown very little interest in the club itself, just the property around it.

The question I keep asking myself is how on earth was he able to buy the club in the first place?

I think it's fair to say that Wrexham would not have found themselves in this mess had his background been thor-oughly investigated.

But hindsight is a wonderful thing and the most important task now for everyone with the club's best interests at heart is to rally round and support any moves to take back control, not only of the club but the Racecourse as well.

It's going to cost money - which is why I was happy to make a contribution to the fighting fund - and it's heartening to know that fans, local politicians, the county council and even the Welsh Assembly are now on the case.

When the club and the ground have been saved, as I'm sure will be the case, much of the credit will be due to Wrexham Supporters Trust, who have put in a tremendous amount of time and effort in getting together a bid to buy the club and have been the driving force behind the whole campaign.

I'm told that they sold 6,000 Christmas draw tickets almost as quickly as they came off the printing presses and that another 6,000 will be going on sale in the next few days.

I'm sure there is an impressive list of prizes to be won but I'd like to add another.

I can provide a couple of tickets for the Manchester United v Birmingham City Premiership match at Old Trafford, on Saturday, February 5 - subject, of course, to a possible change for television.

Hopefully, the tickets won't be won by a Wrexham fan because any self-respecting Kopite will be following the Dragons to Walsall the same afternoon - an easy trip from North Wales.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Must admit I don't mind Savage at all and think too many people are quick to jump on his back and call him a wanker because of his long hair and the generally skewed perception that he is a dirty player and liable to whinge at the drop of an alice band.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
f*** me, he's giving away two tickets to a game that he would have got free, what a nice guy.

:)

(Only kidding BTW but he's still a cock)

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
As I have said on NSC before: I admire Savage - he's one of a few Premiershite players with real passion (I hate to have to admit I think Alan Smith is another!)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
On the Left Wing said:
As I have said on NSC before: I admire Savage - he's one of a few Premiershite players with real passion (I hate to have to admit I think Alan Smith is another!)

Also admire him for the fact that he knows he is on a hiding to nothing from opposition fans week in week out, and some of that crap has got to hit home no matter how thick skinned you are.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Oh come on. He got sent off against Northern Ireland and nearly cried about it just weeks after trying to defend himself for elbowing Kezman square in the face. He deserves all he gets.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
He also paid Wrexham's £18,000 electricity bill so they could use their floodlights ....

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
He's a twat with a soft spot for Wrexham. Does that make him a decent chap? :shootself

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
He comes from a village near Wrexham.

I reckon if someone like Simon Rodger, Jake Robinson or Dan Harding did something like that for us in years to come we would salute them as local heroes

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Someone like Mark Lawrenson, who was so supportive during the Archer years??? (although he wasn't from Brighton so maybe not a good comparison) Now there's a man who's a much bigger cock than Savage, who's biggest problem is wearing his heart on his sleeve and winding players up, a long haired Premiership Charlie Oatway.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Oh come on. He got sent off against Northern Ireland and nearly cried about it

At that precise moment Savage knew that his chance to play in what would have been the biggest game of his career had just been snatched away from him by an insane referee.

Wouldn't you have been just a little upset under similar circumstances?

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I dont care how much of twat I think he is (of which I do), as a premiership manager, I would have him in my team anytime!!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Laughing Bluebird said:
At that precise moment Savage knew that his chance to play in what would have been the biggest game of his career had just been snatched away from him by an insane referee.

Wouldn't you have been just a little upset under similar circumstances?

No. And he deserved it, to me (from a very bias viewpoint) it looked as if he raised his arms when fending off a player.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
No. And he deserved it, to me (from a very bias viewpoint) it looked as if he raised his arms when fending off a player.

What a load of bollocks. If Savage had been a Brighton or an England player, you'd have been screaming blue murder. And rightly so too.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
What a load of bollocks. If Savage had been a Brighton or an England player, you'd have been screaming blue murder. And rightly so too.

Which is why I aid that it was from a very bias viewpoint.

Some players get what's coming to them, Savage had elbowed Mutaja Kezman in the face ON PURPOSE just a couple of weeks before and got away with it (although he was banned by the FA). If what goes around comes around then so be it but don't act as if you're a Saint who's been done wrong.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Which is why I aid that it was from a very bias viewpoint. Some players get what's coming to them, Savage had elbowed Mutaja Kezman in the face ON PURPOSE just a couple of weeks before and got away with it (although he was banned by the FA). If what goes around comes around then so be it but don't act as if you're a Saint who's been done wrong.

So, you are suggesting that the ref was right to send Savage off not because he had committed a sending-off offence against Northern Ireland, but because he had previously committed a sending-off offence when playing for his club a couple of weeks earlier.

As I said before, what a load of bollocks.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
So, you are suggesting that the ref was right to send Savage off not because he had committed a sending-off offence against Northern Ireland, but because he had previously committed a sending-off offence when playing for his club a couple of weeks earlier.

As I said before, what a load of bollocks.

That is NOT what I am saying. I am saying that although he may have been done wrong against Northern Ireland it's not as if he's never done anything wrong before. That interview he gave was BOLLOCKS. 'Ooh, I'm gonna give up international football because I got sent off'. THAT is a load of bollocks. The tables were turned on him and he couldn't hack it.

f*** him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here