Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fans United - Cambridge

Blimey, they won. Iwan Roberts is a good move for them - getting 6pts back from 8 games it tough but not impossible.

Friday, March 18, 2005
Message of Support from Supporters Direct

Supporters Direct (www.supporters-direct.org) is a government initiative, funded by public money, which offers support, advice and information to groups of football supporters and supporters' trusts. Supporters Direct has provided CFU with a lot of help and information over recent years. Unfortunately, SD are not able to send a representative to tomorrow's Fans United Day, but they have sent us the following message of support:

Since its inception, Cambridge Fans United has been the very example of the benefits of having a supporters' trust there, before the crisis hits. Over the years, they have gradually built their stake in the club up, always been willing to engage in dialogue with anyone really interested in securing the future of their football club.

CFU and Cambridge United fans are now facing the biggest crisis of all, and it is crucial that they achieve their vision of a community-owned and supported club in the heart of Cambridge. These aren't just fine words: the word community means something to fans, whatever their club. And that is what we have here today: a countrywide community of fans, represented by those present today.

This idea began with Brighton fans at the Goldstone in the 1990's, through to Doncaster, Chester and Wimbledon - amongst others - and most recently at Wrexham, as fans got together to show support at times of hardship. But there must be something positive that comes out of these events, and that must be that as every Fans Utd day passes, as every crisis that once loomed large fades into the distance, that supporters take control and change the way of doing things. Clubs must no longer be prey to asset-strippers, we must no longer allow people with no care for our clubs to take control of what is ours, and to prevent this, we must take control of it ourselves, whether at Manchester United or Cambridge United.

We are proud to stand with The Supporters Direct trust of the season - CFU - Cambridge United fans, and fans from across the country - many of which will be members of their own supporters trusts.

We hope it isn't too long before we can have a Fans' United day that is a celebration of achievements, rather than the rallying round of fans to yet another set of victims of mismanagement of yet another football club.

Good luck and best wishes from Supporters Direct.

Dave Boyle
Deputy Manager
Supporters Direct
About Supporters Direct

Supporters Direct is a government initiative, funded by public money, with offices in London and Glasgow. Our aim is to help people "who wish to play a responsible part in the life of the football club they support" and we offer support, advice and information to groups of football supporters. Our work is based on democratic, mutual and not-for-profit principles.

With a combined membership of 75,000 people, supporters trusts have now put more than £10 million into football and own or control 9 football clubs in the UK.

We are an Industrial and Provident Society registered with the Financial Services Authority (Registration Number: 29581R)

For more information on Supporters Direct and Supporters' Trusts, visit: http://www.supporters-direct.org.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Just back in, Cambridge is an extremely difficult ground to get away from in a car!!

Had a great time at Cambridge and was made very welcome. People kept on asking to be in photos...., so my ugly mug will be inflicted on some poor sod somewhere or other.

You'll be pleased to hear that the NSC gang invaded Cambridge's own North Stand, along with loads of Norwich and Wrexham fans, and assorted fans from Ipswich, Reading, Sunderland, QPR, Liverpool, York, Wigan and Plymouth Argyle.

The Norwich fans were in great form, and there was some discussion as to whether my 'Currie' shirt was more offensive to them than the Ipswich shirt being worn by a girl stood not 5 foot away.

The noise generated by that little terrace (oh joy!! a TERRACE!!) was fantastic, and everyone joined in with Cambridge's set of songs; they seemed to enjoy the rendition of "How wide is Barry Fry?" that I started, and the "We're the backside Brighton Boys" raised a laugh or two (I think Safeway started that one).

In contrast the Wycombe end was very quiet, though OTLW recconned that Liz Costa was in there somewhere...., presumably leading the singing!?!

Quite an exciting game, Tes Bramble's opener was a cracker, and there were plenty of energetic tackles flying around.

Very pleased to meet up with Turkey, The Large One, and On The Left Wing; and I believe Safeway as well, if that was who I was stood next to in the second half.

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Curious Orange said:
Very pleased to meet up with Turkey, The Large One, and On The Left Wing; and I believe Safeway as well, if that was who I was stood next to in the second half.

Were we introduced or have we met before? I can't remember meeting you and I've always wanted too. :jester: Oh, I wasn't there btw, don't want any grief. :D

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Just in ---- great to meet up with Curious Orange for the first time ... and a superb day out.

Spoke to some of the Cambridge organisers and they head-counted at least 36 fans in Brighton shirts at the main entrance (and we don't think that counts Liz Costa's mob, who sat in the away end!!!) Anyway an NSC dominated mob of about 17 made ourselves heard in the North Stand and had a good time with a bunch of Norwich and Reading fans!

Best chant was in reply to a few gay taunts: "we're the back side Brighton boys"!

As for the "official" attendance, as with Wrexham it was again a load of bollocks! The capacity is just over 9,000 and the ground was at least 3/4 full ... reckon it is official gate milking for financial reasons - own estimate was about 6,000 to 7,000 ... dunno what others think????

Last edited:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Curious Orange said:
though OTLW recconned that Liz Costa was in there somewhere...., presumably leading the singing!?!

Liz and her sturdy bunch sat in the front row of the Wycombe end with their arms folded, politely applauding whenever they felt they needed! So little change from usual ... (Sorry for the cynicsim Liz!) ... I think the only other non-Wycombe fans at that end were a similar staid group of Norwich fans who kept shouting: "Let's be avin' yer"

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
On the Left Wing said:

Best chant was in reply to a few gay taunts: "we're the back side Brighton boys"!

Interesting (and a little bit sad) that gay taunts were felt necessary at a Fans United game???. The response was excellent but why do these muppets persist?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Bwian said:
Interesting (and a little bit sad) that gay taunts were felt necessary at a Fans United game???. The response was excellent but why do these muppets persist?

It was all VERY good humoured .... loads of banter between all of us .... especially aimed at the Norwich fans!!!

Loads of laughter and plenty of handshakes

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Bwian said:

The first time was actually after a bit of "left side", "right side" from the Cambridge fans. so not as a direct result of gay taunts. There were a few light hearted jibes, but I don't think we were getting as much of that as the Norwich fans!!

:lolol:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
"Steve Claridge (now a Wycombe player) was hero-worshipped by the Cambridge fans (he had two spells for them) ... but got some "Brighton reject" stick from us!!!

All quite surreal to hear 17 voices giving him grief and a few thousand cheering him!!!

It was that sort of day!

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Almost forgot: a bunch of Albion and Wrexham fans paraded the Wrexham 4 Falmer banner around the pitch at half-time to some great chants of "we want our stadium"!!!

Marvellous scenes

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Well done that man. :clap2:

wrecsampedro

Jan 30, 2005
WRECSAM
Banner

We hopefully got the banner across the back of the group photo at half time too.

I think the attendance was counted in the good old 1 for you 1 for me manner of accounting.

Anyway, was great to get such a warm welcome, as someone said loads of photo's (I blame our red wigs) and constantly having people wanting to shake your hand for just turning up.

It was great to meet & greet some of you guys - see y'all at the millennium

Last edited:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
These guys were'nt with us!

[/url]
FansUnitedCambridge007.jpg

:lolol: :lolol:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports