Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fans United (8 February, 1997) - 10 years ago today!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
silky1 said:
Could a 10 year reunion be reorganised, along with the support of the club.
Reduce ticket prices to those of 1997 for the day, for the publicity it could attract the drop in revenue for the game could be worth it.
Communicating the event, and organising it would be far easier today than 10 years ago, especially with the backing of the club that was obviously not there back then! :clap2: :clap2:
That would be absolute quality were we to pull it off.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
As the fans united anniversary has already passed maybe we could do something special for our last home match of the season, with the support of the club, as this will mark the 10th anniversary of not having a proper home.

A whole generation of children that have never known us have a proper ground :nono:

Perhaps the club would reduce prices that day to those of 1997 and invite all kids under 10 for free.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Al Bion said:
As the fans united anniversary has already passed maybe we could do something special for our last home match of the season, with the support of the club, as this will mark the 10th anniversary of not having a proper home.

A whole generation of children that have never known us have a proper ground :nono:

Perhaps the club would reduce prices that day to those of 1997 and invite all kids under 10 for free.

http://85.234.132.19/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96239

Some suggestions in there

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
A tear or two to my eye reading that lot. And I just remembered singing "You'll never walk alone".

We stood with Pretson fans who were missing their own match, and a couple of Burnley fans and a Liverpool fan. After the game a Donny fan asked me to swap my scarf with him (bought at Canvey Island away) and I declined, don't know why, just didn't want to do it.

I can't really say much more, will take a drink or two tonight to honour each and every one of the fans who turned up. Shame that so far we don't have a new ground to show for it.

Last edited:

HAMPSHIRE DAVE

Dec 7, 2004
NR SOUTHAMPTON
Yer and me and my Pompey mate were one of the ones who got in without paying!!
Remember getting knocked about all over the place every time we scored.
Changed my mind about all seated stadiums.:clap2: :albion:
HAMPSHIRE DAVE

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Wozza said:
My, doesn’t time fly? Figure it’s a good time to share some pics and stuff…

(Bottom four pics are © Stewart Weir - don't use or abuse without permission.)

See also: http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13122

Just been looking through a copy of the Fans United guest book from 16-25 December 1996. Wonderful messages of support from near and far.

D

Deleted User X18H

Man of Harveys said:
The best day to be an Albion fan EVER - nothing, but nothing -nope, not Highbury, not Wembley, not Cardiff - has ever come close. I honestly still get shivers down the spine thinking about it. Slightly different weather that day - I kept thinking the fog might have caused the game to be stopped.

I just remember thinking "maybe this will have a few away fans dotted around the place, which will be quite nice", then coming out at the top of the North stand and seeing everyone in Hove Park and realising what a massive deal it all was. Un-f***ing-forgettable - every single Albion fan still owes bucketloads of debt to the organisers and every single away fan who came. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
It was brilliant but I didn't beat 21/05/83..nothing ever will.

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
I've just had to have a blub after reading this thread. February 8th 1997 will never go from my memory. My best friend, aged 34, had died the previous day from cancer, I was 6 months pregnant & very hormonal.

I stood in the North Stand for the very last time that day, I just didn't want to go at the end. I spent so many happy times in there & I couldn't belive it was coming to an end. One thing wassure in my mind, those bastards weren' going to get away with it.

On April 28th this year, the day of our last home game this season, my daughter, Emily Dianne Albion Joy will be 10 years old. How do I tell her that after 10 years we are still without a permanent home and nothing concrete is in place to get one?

It's been a long fight, a damn long fight, but we have to keep the faith & keep fighting for all those Emilys out there, so they can have those same wonderful memories that we have had. You can't buy memoriesso we need to keep on keeping on.

Trotster

Jul 9, 2003
Threshers
Blimey - that brought a tear to my eye and brought back SO many memories - All those fans singing Youll never walk alone and us singing thank you for coming made the me feel like i was part of something really big - and it made me really proud. Although i never want to go through that again, I would love to have that day again....top top day, never to be forgotten.

I still have all the posters and the certficiate that was handed out that day ...

The best quote on the certificate.....No one man is bigger than the club he purports to serve

Last edited:

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
brilliant brilliant day never to be forgotten!
got in for nothing that day as a fan payed to go in then let the gates open for hundreds to gain free entry.
ironically the same fan attacked orient players during the 4 all draw with them. the chelsea fan who stood up and got the crowd going deserves a mention. that same fan also attended the nil nil draw with doncaster on another fans united occasion.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Wozza said:
REVIEWS FROM FANS OF OTHER CLUBS

Review by Watford fan Ian Grant

Review by Sheffield United fan Charlotte Harris

Review by Lincoln City fan Alistair Grant

Review by Jonathan Hull, a Colchester United fan

Review by M Gordon, a Spurs fan

I didn't have a chance to read this before, but that is moving stuff.

Too many Seagulls have been snatched away before we have had the chance to play in our new home. Fighting tooth and nail, to secure our future.

This makes me even more determined than ever, to see the current LDC come crashing down to earth.

Fans United was born ten years today and fans united will never be defeated.

:clap: :albion:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here