Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fan's Phone-in

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think we're very lucky to have our own radio station in Sussex but normally those with the least to say talk the loudest, unfortunately.

...and please don't view me as an arsehole for saying this but you might want to look at your apostrophe use if you're doing a masters.

Feb 14, 2010
If Harty was on it I would have had a call back. :US:

yep. Bloody disgrace that a "fans phone in" fails to give air to a ans charity born out of the death of a fan who died in the twin towers on 11/11. Still expect they had a riveting update from Bognor, or some bloke going on about our right back after a nothing mid table game. The BBC dont have a fooking clue

Feb 14, 2010
yep. Bloody disgrace that a "fans phone in" fails to give air to a ans charity born out of the death of a fan who died in the twin towers on 11/11. Still expect they had a riveting update from Bognor, or some bloke going on about our right back after a nothing mid table game. The BBC dont have a fooking clue

sorry that was of course meant to be 9/11. Point the same. BBC, what is your reply?

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
I quite like the fans phone in as i cant get to many games so its nice to hear what the supporters have to say rather than reading about it, i do not wish to sound like im an expert or something but it can be rather dull at times and but for the charismatic quips of Mr Byrne i probably would not bother to leave the radio on after the match.

I maybe wrong but since the infamous storm in a teacup Hartygate affair it sounds to me as an outsider looking in that the show has fallen foul of over political correctness,and any whiff of controversy is quickly snuffed out by the presenters.

Im not saying the show should be full of finger on the pulse groundbreaking innovations but it has got to be a much of a muchness now.

Could i suggest a dear friend of mine the young up and coming Danny seagull to present the show. :)

Feb 14, 2010
Ian Hart and danny Baker - the dream team, with a couple of younguns to learn the trade under them. Either way no plastic gooners and the lot now who have no respect for the REMF. Hartygate ? What about REMFgate? An albion fans phone in that doesnt give airtime to the REMF sums up the show.. shite.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Leaving the phone in possibly saved my marriage and certainly increased the bond between me and my lad.

I wish both Richie and Mike Ward well, not only because they are both friends of mine, as is Budge, but because they are both far more professional than I ever was.

I loved every minute of my 11 years, aside from 5 seconds on 7th october 2008, but everything has its time and now its time to move on.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Good for you Harty. All the best.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The phone in is TOILET without Harty. It has to be said.

Feb 14, 2010
Fair enough Harty, but who wants professional ? We want a phone in for albion fans and about albion, with a sense of humour. Can they at least spend a day with Danny Bake to show them how to do it? Its cack. If they know about albion then how can they not mention the REMF day? Answer because they dont have a scooby.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I am sorry but Ian Hart was not that good at all, I think people are blinded by his love of Albion. I am not being horrible but the guy on at the moment is better as a professional presenter.

But it's not about the professionalism of the presenter. It's a FANS phone-in and the fans who call the show want PASSION, ANGER and CONTROVERSY, all of which we got when Harty was at the helm.

If the BBC want a bland, boring phone-in with a quick drop in listener numbers, then carry on. If they want a fans phone in that involves the fans because the presenter actually cares about the subject matter, then someone like Harty should be involved.

Look at how good 606 is when Danny Baker presents.

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
But it's not about the professionalism of the presenter. It's a FANS phone-in and the fans who call the show want PASSION, ANGER and CONTROVERSY, all of which we got when Harty was at the helm.

If the BBC want a bland, boring phone-in with a quick drop in listener numbers, then carry on. If they want a fans phone in that involves the fans because the presenter actually cares about the subject matter, then someone like Harty should be involved.

Look at how good 606 is when Danny Baker presents.

What Hiney said. :thumbsup:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Mike Ward seems a decent bloke but he just does not cut it on this show. The presenters were all over the show Saturday. JB adds gravitas but he is not a radio host. Harty was perefect as he is a true fan for decades, not some johnny come lately and got the debate going and put his foot in it from time to time which is what we loved about him. The woman who does the texts is shocking and I am still PISSED off they did not call me back on Saturday as promised to plug REMF 9.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Mike Ward seems a decent bloke but he just does not cut it on this show. The presenters were all over the show Saturday. JB adds gravitas but he is not a radio host. Harty was perefect as he is a true fan for decades, not some johnny come lately and got the debate going and put his foot in it from time to time which is what we loved about him. The woman who does the texts is shocking and I am still PISSED off they did not call me back on Saturday as promised to plug REMF 9.

I didn't listen so I cannot really comment, but clearly something must have cropped up off air as a number of the people working back at the studio know all the good work the REMF has done so I wouldn't have thought they would have not called you back on purpose.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I listened to it Harty and they had about 4 calls all hour and were giving most of the time to Lewes and Eastbourne. As I had targetted this Saturday as they prime slot to advertise the game to 30000 Sussex people and had a churchillian rowsing speech to get people along I am pretty annoyed. Its all very shabby imo.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not that he'd give Radio Sussex a nanoseconds consideration anyway, but Danny Bakers show is fantastic specifically because it really isn't a football phone-in at all. Sure there's often a vague football theme, but he invites anecdotes and amusing tales such as "has there ever been an occasion when you have had a horse in your house, and how did this come about ?".

Anyone phoning Baker to moan about a ref or a shite performance by the leftback would get very short shrift. Well, he wouldn't even get on. You want all that bollocks, switch to Talksport.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Harty was okay but it could often feel a bit of an old boys club, not sure that was Hartys fault, also he seemed to try make issue where there was none to get interest. I heard him on a podcast where he was a guest last year and he was very knowledgeble and a good listen when these two factors above did not get in his way.

I think have more people involved in the studio so Jonny Byrne plus presenter and then one other celeb/name/footballer who has seen the game and could add in another angle. For example an away fans views or ex/currently injured player.

Why not have a phone vote on an issue on the game, the officals talking about why decsions are made or someone talking tactics/next games and stats.

Also have a link to hear this bit for free online as it happens so people can hear at away games and around the world.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Not that he'd give Radio Sussex a nanoseconds consideration anyway, but Danny Bakers show is fantastic specifically because it really isn't a football phone-in at all. Sure there's often a vague football theme, but he invites anecdotes and amusing tales such as "has there ever been an occasion when you have had a horse in your house, and how did this come about ?".

Anyone phoning Baker to moan about a ref or a shite performance by the leftback would get very short shrift. Well, he wouldn't even get on. You want all that bollocks, switch to Talksport.

Agree Baker is class but the NME-punk/showbiz-tv production background makes him a class act to follow by anyone. Being a Millwall fan also helps as he knows what football supporting is all about.

As Harty mentions its takes up a lot of time with what I imagine is little reward and anyone who has good ideas will want to use them on a bigger more profitable stage.

But someone who talks about SPORKS, scams and drunk footballers would be welcome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here